Tommboy1973’s Outdoor Desert Autoflower 2021

Does GH recommend alternating with plain water? Between that, the super dose of bloom, and the pouring rain it makes it tough to know what's next!

I would wait for it to dry out a lot before doing any fertilizer again, and then I'd do grow and bloom because plants need nitrogen in flower.

Nice new babies! Sunshine mix has no nutes in it so I'd start fertilizing with the second set of true leaves.
Thanks Shed. All the schedules are for weekly so I just assumed you would nute once a week and water with plain if needed in between. Is that not usually how it’s done? I’m new to synthetics in general as I use organics, which is monthly, for all my veggies and fruit trees.
I’ll start fertilizing soon on the babies. I’m thinking of trying organics for at least one if not all of them.

When you say "weekly" do you mean they have a Week 3, Week 4, etc. schedule? That means feed every time.
Yes that what it says. Oh shoot, really? So they just mean feed that every water for that week? Oops :oops:

Well, then my plant did amazingly well considering I was only giving half nutrients this whole time :laughtwo:

:headbanger: Rock on baby girl. I promise I will do better next time. That’s why I’m here, to learn how to be a better plant mama.

And here I thought once a week was a lot of fertilizer, lol.

Hey everybody who’s following, how’s it going? I’ve been checking my plant every day and I think I decided I’m going to go ahead and harvest on Sunday. There’s a couple reasons I think it’s time. Let me know if you agree.

#1-The buds don’t seem to be getting any bigger, and I can maybe see some foxtails starting. No new pistols have appeared in a few weeks. The old pistols are completely shriveled up. The lower leaves are progressively yellowing.

#2-The temps going to drop for the next week with chances of rain so lower temps and increased humidity will help with my “box in a shed” drying method. It was 85F today and super dry and I don’t want to try to dry in that. This is prob one of the biggest reasons I don’t want to wait much longer.

#3-While I’m not sure if I see any amber trichs I do see what appear to be some degraded ones so maybe mine just aren’t going to turn amber. Or the LED light just isn’t the best at judging color. Or maybe I just suck at reading them, idk. ;) They will be at 110 days from germination so I feel they should be ready. I will try to get some more trich pics before then.

I checked my hyrogmeters with the salt slurry test, and they are pretty on, so will try to monitor humidity with venting/closing the large box I got to hang my plant in. I’m going to leave most leaves on to help slow the dry. All that abundance of sugar and single leaves it has in the buds should add a lot of moisture. Can add a humidifier or wet towels as needed. The 12x12 shed has one of those spinning vents in the roof and side vents so it will have some ventilation.
If anyone has any other ideas I’m open to suggestions. Wish me luck everybody!!
965E55E9-3422-4D8A-9E7B-0D028F495050.jpeg
1BD4B1C4-678E-484B-90FC-01807B69F460.jpeg
5E6C75E3-3152-48B8-ABB0-C5B5934AB9E9.jpeg
79A3861D-582C-4143-9B35-E48030EEFB61.jpeg

53548E2A-5C7C-469A-AF6F-453665E5A25E.jpeg

Looking great!
Thanks! I’m pretty happy for my first “no clue what I’m doing” grow! Now if I can just keep from ruining it during the dry/cure!

Hey everybody who’s following, how’s it going? I’ve been checking my plant every day and I think I decided I’m going to go ahead and harvest on Sunday. There’s a couple reasons I think it’s time. Let me know if you agree.

#1-The buds don’t seem to be getting any bigger, and I can maybe see some foxtails starting. No new pistols have appeared in a few weeks. The old pistols are completely shriveled up. The lower leaves are progressively yellowing.

#2-The temps going to drop for the next week with chances of rain so lower temps and increased humidity will help with my “box in a shed” drying method. It was 85F today and super dry and I don’t want to try to dry in that. This is prob one of the biggest reasons I don’t want to wait much longer.

#3-While I’m not sure if I see any amber trichs I do see what appear to be some degraded ones so maybe mine just aren’t going to turn amber. Or the LED light just isn’t the best at judging color. Or maybe I just suck at reading them, idk. ;) They will be at 110 days from germination so I feel they should be ready. I will try to get some more trich pics before then.

I checked my hyrogmeters with the salt slurry test, and they are pretty on, so will try to monitor humidity with venting/closing the large box I got to hang my plant in. I’m going to leave most leaves on to help slow the dry. All that abundance of sugar and single leaves it has in the buds should add a lot of moisture. Can add a humidifier or wet towels as needed. The 12x12 shed has one of those spinning vents in the roof and side vents so it will have some ventilation.

Looking scrumptious. My indoor plants close to that

Looking scrumptious

They look scrumptious. I'm lucky I can use my tent to dry if need be there's an empty closet but that will piss off the wife

If you’ve got a spare fridge you should try the low & slow dry and cure method. I’ve found it works quite well. I’m fortunate enough to have a dedicated 420 fridge for drying and curing. I have it hooked up to a digital controller which makes it nice for maintaining the proper temp. Check it out.

Low & Slow drying. Post #337.

Cold curing. Post #2606

If you’ve got a spare fridge you should try the low & slow dry and cure method. I’ve found it works quite well. I’m fortunate enough to have a dedicated 420 fridge for drying and curing. I have it hooked up to a digital controller which makes it nice for maintaining the proper temp. Check it out.

Low & Slow drying. Post #337.

Cold curing. Post #2606

Thank you! I was actually just thinking of I could dry in a fridge at a higher temp. I’ll have to read the article later, I’m at work right now supposed to be working, LOL just taking a quick break to check to see if anyone has chimed in!

Weather is always a consideration for when to harvest, but I wouldn't harvest early to time out the drying. Indoor environments can always be manipulated in terms of RH. If the plants are still drinking as fast as they have been, I'd wait on the harvest. Besides checking trichomes, a plant that is drinking much less is getting ready for the chop.

Thanks Shed! The only thing is it’s not an indoor environment, unless you consider a shed with 3 vents indoor. Can you comment on my shed, Shed? :laughtwo: Sorry couldn’t resist! But back to being serious, it’s hard to tell if she is drinking “like normal”. Our weather has been a little crazy lately. Almost 90 today, (feels like 110 in the sun despite high winds) few days ago it was in the 60’s. It’s been up and down like this for the last few weeks, and off and on windy. She hasn’t drank as much as I would expect given the last couple days in the 80’s with wind and low humidity. I’ll try to get some more trich pics tonight if the wind dies down.

In a ventilated shed in the desert you will have a tough time hanging them for long anyway. If low and slow (as BigD suggested) won't work for you, consider getting a cardboard box or two. This is what I use to dry mine:
full

It's got two 1" holes drilled bottom right and three along the top left. I have a small fan I aim at the lower holes for airflow, and I can slow or speed up drying by opening or covering the holes, or turning the fan off and leaving them all covered.

Another way to slow down the dry is hang the plant whole, like Backlipslide did here.

Ok I decided to split the difference and harvest 1/2 the plant. I definitely saw amber on the bigger buds. I tried to take some pics which i have posted below. All using natural light. The pics don’t always show it good because of the magnification it’s hard to get all them in one shot.
I’m going to try 3 different dry methods. 2 low and slow in a dorm fridge. One jar with screen top and two paper bags. And 1 hanging in a box in the shed.
I did do bud washing before and hung to dry for a hour.
3E5E7CF9-40FE-442B-B9D9-48ABFDAAC683.jpeg

9489A514-51DE-4A23-BC90-9724DEECE081.jpeg

A47463C0-4542-4678-93F4-6462CBD36DB6.jpeg

788CC592-201D-40D7-B54C-7F7478A5F6A8.jpeg

B72AFDED-67DE-4FD0-8DE7-D885A1A35C7A.jpeg

I cutoff the top and the second biggest branch.
6865C815-CDEA-4C64-B1E4-5ACBFCD9CBB9.jpeg

Not sure if I trimmed right? The low and slow method says to leave the sugar leaves on but these were so very leafy I went ahead and lightly trimmed.
3BFE5D23-5D37-4C84-BB7F-6AF557041BE3.jpeg

5E4FA6BB-183D-4463-B8DF-36E023B99FF1.jpeg

I only removed fan leaves from the ones I hung in the box.
97B3F76D-43FC-4765-BC27-63507A93FCBB.jpeg

Just showing what I did with some of my fan leaves.

As I recall, part of what makes low and slow work is the frost-free aspect of modern fridges. With no air circulation in a dorm fridge you may be setting yourself up for mold.

The frost-free aspect is removing moisture from the closed fridge on a regular basis, which is what lowers the RH in the buds over time.
Thanks Shed. I had seen a post where someone else used a dorm fridge, and the small freezer up top collected and froze any condensation so I’m hoping this will work as well. I will monitor humidity very closely with my hygrometers. It’s also why I am drying some in the traditional way as well. This first plant was supposed to be a learning experience, so I guess I will learn whether it’s going to work or not LOL. I’m just trying to make the best out of the circumstances I have, being as I’m limited to drying outdoors in the shed. After your input, I think I will take one of the paper bags with the smaller buds out and put them in the box with the hanging buds. Just to add another element. I have 3 remote hygro/temp meters I can monitor from the house, and I tested all of them with the salt slurry test and they’re pretty accurate.

Ok I decided to split the difference and harvest 1/2 the plant. I definitely saw amber on the bigger buds. I tried to take some pics which i have posted below. All using natural light. The pics don’t always show it good because of the magnification it’s hard to get all them in one shot.
I’m going to try 3 different dry methods. 2 low and slow in a dorm fridge. One jar with screen top and two paper bags. And 1 hanging in a box in the shed.
I did do bud washing before and hung to dry for a hour.
3E5E7CF9-40FE-442B-B9D9-48ABFDAAC683.jpeg

9489A514-51DE-4A23-BC90-9724DEECE081.jpeg

A47463C0-4542-4678-93F4-6462CBD36DB6.jpeg

788CC592-201D-40D7-B54C-7F7478A5F6A8.jpeg

B72AFDED-67DE-4FD0-8DE7-D885A1A35C7A.jpeg

I cutoff the top and the second biggest branch.
6865C815-CDEA-4C64-B1E4-5ACBFCD9CBB9.jpeg

Not sure if I trimmed right? The low and slow method says to leave the sugar leaves on but these were so very leafy I went ahead and lightly trimmed.
3BFE5D23-5D37-4C84-BB7F-6AF557041BE3.jpeg

5E4FA6BB-183D-4463-B8DF-36E023B99FF1.jpeg

I only removed fan leaves from the ones I hung in the box.
97B3F76D-43FC-4765-BC27-63507A93FCBB.jpeg

Just showing what I did with some of my fan leaves.
Looking good you'll be toking soon

F467F244-DEA5-489A-B976-6D409D19A5DD.jpeg

Here are my current dry temps/humidity
#1- inside box in the shed. Lid slightly open and 2 vents to allow airflow.
#2-inside the lunch sack paper bag with bigger buds, inside the mini fridge.
#3-inside the fridge
IN- inside the house with the windows open

There was temp variables between the units of a few degrees before I put them in there but the humidity, at least at 75%, was spot on.

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom