1000W LED Cotton Candy Kush Indoor Hydroponic Grow - 4th Grow - Still Learning

So try to use these things and you'll always get nice roots i always cut leaves back also so they can absorb food easier when sprayed foliar spray or humidity feeds them

Also. Make sure you scissors are clean when doing cuttings. I don't know if you cleaned the before you cut. I use an eyeglass wipe , because they have alcohol on them. Let them dry for a few seconds. And are you monitoring humidity? Where I'm located Wisconsin it's getting drier. Your plants look great tho.... Keep it up.. I have another new grow and a link to my first grow ... Hava peek..

So try to use these things and you’ll always get nice roots i always cut leaves back also so they can absorb food easier when sprayed foliar spray or humidity feeds them

All excellent Info thank you. And Turbostang, yes I am always good about sterile technique, I use isopropyl alcohol on my scissors and let dry. and I always cut through middle of stem but I never thought about scraping or shaving the outside of the stem that is great advice. And now that I'm thinking about it I usually trim back the leaves like you said but I guess I forgot that part this time. I shall repeat the process properly this time. But I feel like I should cut a few more this time. Eventually Ill have to order more seeds. But I wanted to get at least 2 or 3 grows out of this strain using clones.

All excellent Info thank you. And Turbostang, yes I am always good about sterile technique, I use isopropyl alcohol on my scissors and let dry. and I always cut through middle of stem but I never thought about scraping or shaving the outside of the stem that is great advice. And now that I'm thinking about it I usually trim back the leaves like you said but I guess I forgot that part this time. I shall repeat the process properly this time. But I feel like I should cut a few more this time. Eventually Ill have to order more seeds. But I wanted to get at least 2 or 3 grows out of this strain using clones.

I clone EVERY STRAIN WORTH CLONING , this lemon haze has been in my room since June , I have no idea how many cuttings I have taken but def enough to make me happy flowered her at least 6x, and now flipped mother Bc it's time for new mothers which I am about to clean up bottom so that's first round of clones, on both desert deisel , and lemon kush headband plus got Kandy Kush and Super Bud , plus autos while they veg plus mothers flipped plus a 21 plant SOG TOP TWO NODES ONLY

I clone EVERY STRAIN WORTH CLONING , this lemon haze has been in my room since June , I have no idea how many cuttings I have taken but def enough to make me happy flowered her at least 6x, and now flipped mother Bc it’s time for new mothers which I am about to clean up bottom so that’s first round of clones, on both desert deisel , and lemon kush headband plus got Kandy Kush and Super Bud , plus autos while they veg plus mothers flipped plus a 21 plant SOG TOP TWO NODES ONLY

very nice. here is a good question. Originally when I started reading about all this years ago I was told that a clone of a clone of a clone will always have degraded genetics/potency. But I did some reading on it again recently and heard of people growing supposedly "clone-only strains" that are basically clones of clones of clones etc. and people were saying that the genetics are always exactly the same. Now I'm not sure which to believe. Thoughts?

very nice. here is a good question. Originally when I started reading about all this years ago I was told that a clone of a clone of a clone will always have degraded genetics/potency. But I did some reading on it again recently and heard of people growing supposedly "clone-only strains" that are basically clones of clones of clones etc. and people were saying that the genetics are always exactly the same. Now I'm not sure which to believe. Thoughts?

I clone from a clone never noticed any difference , but maybe it does degrade idk, I am thinking my mother plant is struggling more than any other time I run it

mind if i sit in on the show? ive always grew from seed and have yet to attempt to clone, would love to follow along and take notes if u dont mind? i'd like to clone my batch i just started and figure this will be a great place to learn

mind if i sit in on the show? ive always grew from seed and have yet to attempt to clone, would love to follow along and take notes if u dont mind? i'd like to clone my batch i just started and figure this will be a great place to learn

welcome! This is not exactly a thread specifically on cloning, its just my grow journal lol but you are more than welcome to join! Hope you enjoy!

okay, I have not updated in like a week. Don't even ask what week of veg I'm on... been so busy lately I have not even been keeping track.
but anyway.....
can't even remember how many times I have topped my Cotton Candy Kush anymore but I think it was around 4 times. Also keeping in mind, this plant grew naturally with 2 tops, and now she has......like I'm not even going to count all the tops.....Id say minimum 20 actual tops and most of the side branches have also reached canopy level or near it. so.... a lot. a lot of tops. Gonna need a net soon which I forgot to order today...

anyway I'm rambling.

So I fairly certain I am going to throw out the first 2 clones (they did nothing and looked very sad) and I am going to cut all new clones tonight or tomorrow, now that most of the side branches have reached a decent size-which brings me to a question.... Is there a rule of thumb on how big the cuttings must be to clone? do they have to have X number of nodes or....? Most of the side branches I am looking at cutting have at least 3 nodes on them. Is that okay or should I wait for them to grow out more?

besides that, gonna give her some more nutes and I think I will kick her into flower by the end of the week after I get all my cuttings. So feel free to drop any random useful info on flower cycle that I should know before I flip her. The White Widow auto is doing great. she got transplanted into a larger container recently. Think its about 3 gal container. And I'm thinking now would be a good time to top the white widow also considering its an auto flower strain and I know they usually don't get very big before they start budding...

Oh! almost forgot! yesterday I was looking at the cotton candy kush and finally noticed first signs of sex that I was waiting for. It is a female thankfully. I really was not that worried about it because it was a feminized seed, but there is still always that 10% chance of getting a male and considering this was my only seed for this strain I was getting a little nervous for a bit. It sounds like my luck to get a male out of a feminized seed lol I am basing this only off of what I have read on the subject. And I had learned that when a plant produces feminized seeds, that only 90 out of 100 seeds is guaranteed to be female. Still killer odds.

I don't know why I felt like that was big news but I was excited to see those tiny white hairs haha.

So I will be reviewing all of your helpful advice before doing next round of clones.
and we should be kickin to 12/12 here in a few days.

I hope everyone is as excited as I am to see this girl bloom!

okay so I hit a speed bump. I did not realize how low i was running on pH tester (I use the liquid kind by GH) and I ran out completely. So I ordered some immediately but it was a little too late because plants needed to be fed. They were needing water bad as well as nutrients and I had no way to test my pH which is usually at 6.0. Just to get them by for a few days I just used RO water from my filter system because I know it always comes out at 7.0. And I mixed my nutrients with that because I figured giving them water with a slightly off pH was better than giving them nothing and letting them die. Well they did not die. But as expected I am noticing some problems. I don't think it is anything major but still. Oddly enough, they started getting dehydrated and then I gave them the nutrient mix with a pH of 7 but after that they started showing signs of over watering? and I am seeing some yellow patches on some leaves. It has been shedding some of the lower leaves regularly but it is never a lot and to me it seems like it is just converting those leaves to extra energy because they were all below the canopy and not getting any light. Seems normal to me. But now i am seeing yellow patches on some of the upper leaves starting at the edges of the leaves. that is new and not normal and I'm sure it has something to do with the off pH. Well, about 10 minutes ago UPS delivered my new bottle of pH tester, and now my question is, should I go ahead and mix up some fresh nutrients after a light flush with correct pH now to try and correct the problem? or should I wait a few days? because I just watered them 2 days ago and I know they don't NEED it yet but I want to correct the pH...Not sure what I should do. Below are some pics of what I am talking about. Any suggestions?

GEDC06581.JPG
GEDC06613.JPG
GEDC06623.JPG
GEDC06602.JPG
GEDC06591.JPG

All is well. I waited about a day and then did a flush followed by nutes with correct pH. Within 2 days she looked just fine. Same with the White widow auto which has begun to flower I think.

Anyway just wanted to give a quick update. Yesterday I cut some clones. 17 in total. I followed all the rules this time. Cut and put directly into water. cut at an angle, skinned and cut stems, trimmed back leaves, and used clonex rooting gel and put under humidity dome with a heat mat underneath. 18 hour blue spectrum light.
GEDC06702.JPG

The White Widow Auto came back as quickly as the cotton candy kush and she is doing great now.
GEDC06684.JPG

And the cotton candy kush is back to normal and is on her first day of flower! Nylon trellis netting is being shipped in the mail as we speak as well as a mini dehumidifier that I got for 40 bucks. if it works well ill get more.

Very excited to see this baby flower out.
GEDC06723.JPG
GEDC06733.JPG
GEDC06742.JPG

Until next time! peace-

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

yes I apologize I have been super busy. Will post an update later this evening when my lights turn on. could use some advice at the moment anyway. Sorry for the lack of update. Will get on it tonight. thank you.

okay, sorry for the lack of update in the last few weeks. (not that im getting a whole lot of responses but o well...) So to sum things up, I've been having some trouble lately. The cotton candy kush is progressing but slowly. during the second or so week of flower I accidentally over watered her and at the same time I suspect she got nitrogen toxicity. she seems to have recovered from the over watering but I can not figure out why i still see leaves yellowing and dropping off. and the bud productions seems slow but it is going. I have adjusted the nutrients and cut waaaay back on the nitrogen. I also added a little cali magic and flower fuel. The flower fuel seems to be helping as the bud development seems to have gotten a little boost, but each day I am still getting yellow leaves dropping off. I can't figure it out. as far as I can tell it still looks like nitrogen toxicity it just doesn't look as bad as it was. But she is still losing leaves by the day and I am out of ideas.
here are some pictures of the plant as well as some of the leaves that are coming off of it so you can see the symptoms in as much detail as possible. the yellow leaves are occurring all over the plant, mostly with older leaves but the symptoms are showing at the top and bottom of the foliage. all of the not yellowing leaves are a dark green. this is mostly what makes me think nitrogen toxicity. I bought a lot of new equipment including a digital pH meter so I can more accurately test pH, and I have been keeping it at about 5.92 ish the last couple feedings. besides the nutes I have changed nothing except raising the light under the suspicion that the yellowing could possibly be light burn.... I don't think it was. but I don't know.

I just got some fresh genetics in the mail. dropped 3 more beans for the next run. one gorilla glue one blueberry twist, and one 8 ball kush. but I accidentally fucked up the 8 ball kush. (that seed was a freebie anyway). the other two, are on day 5 and the gorilla glue is already about 1.75 inches and the blueberry twist is 2.5 inches. both seeds cracked after less than 48 hours of germination. so those are off to a great start. Otherwise, here are those pics on the cotton candy kush. If anyone has some advice on that girl it would highly appreciate it because I am lost in the woods with the cotton candy kush..... at this point I am just hoping she will finish at all and at least produce enough for me to make it into hash or edibles if the buds are not good weight or quality... but whatever the problem is, I feel she is late enough in flower that this problem will probably significantly reduce my yield and or quality.... a little depressing. But always a new chance to learn I suppose.

got any advice? fire away....

GEDC06793.JPG
GEDC06801.JPG
GEDC06813.JPG
GEDC06821.JPG
GEDC06762.JPG
GEDC06773.JPG
GEDC06783.JPG

okay, sorry for the lack of update in the last few weeks. (not that im getting a whole lot of responses but o well...) So to sum things up, I've been having some trouble lately. The cotton candy kush is progressing but slowly. during the second or so week of flower I accidentally over watered her and at the same time I suspect she got nitrogen toxicity. she seems to have recovered from the over watering but I can not figure out why i still see leaves yellowing and dropping off. and the bud productions seems slow but it is going. I have adjusted the nutrients and cut waaaay back on the nitrogen. I also added a little cali magic and flower fuel. The flower fuel seems to be helping as the bud development seems to have gotten a little boost, but each day I am still getting yellow leaves dropping off. I can't figure it out. as far as I can tell it still looks like nitrogen toxicity it just doesn't look as bad as it was. But she is still losing leaves by the day and I am out of ideas.
here are some pictures of the plant as well as some of the leaves that are coming off of it so you can see the symptoms in as much detail as possible. the yellow leaves are occurring all over the plant, mostly with older leaves but the symptoms are showing at the top and bottom of the foliage. all of the not yellowing leaves are a dark green. this is mostly what makes me think nitrogen toxicity. I bought a lot of new equipment including a digital pH meter so I can more accurately test pH, and I have been keeping it at about 5.92 ish the last couple feedings. besides the nutes I have changed nothing except raising the light under the suspicion that the yellowing could possibly be light burn.... I don't think it was. but I don't know.

I just got some fresh genetics in the mail. dropped 3 more beans for the next run. one gorilla glue one blueberry twist, and one 8 ball kush. but I accidentally fucked up the 8 ball kush. (that seed was a freebie anyway). the other two, are on day 5 and the gorilla glue is already about 1.75 inches and the blueberry twist is 2.5 inches. both seeds cracked after less than 48 hours of germination. so those are off to a great start. Otherwise, here are those pics on the cotton candy kush. If anyone has some advice on that girl it would highly appreciate it because I am lost in the woods with the cotton candy kush..... at this point I am just hoping she will finish at all and at least produce enough for me to make it into hash or edibles if the buds are not good weight or quality... but whatever the problem is, I feel she is late enough in flower that this problem will probably significantly reduce my yield and or quality.... a little depressing. But always a new chance to learn I suppose.

got any advice? fire away....

GEDC06793.JPG
GEDC06801.JPG
GEDC06813.JPG
GEDC06821.JPG
GEDC06762.JPG
GEDC06773.JPG
GEDC06783.JPG
Hey Life Hacker! !! Bring your pH to 6.2. That range is where you need to be for nutrient uptake. The yellowing on the older leaves is natural. This happens because the plant is now using its energy to focus on the flower stage of your plant. I would suggest changing your rez over and using the dosages required on the labels. Do you by change have a blue labs guardian? It's a must for anything that has a rez. It's gives you everything you need to know. I'm sorry I only saw your post now. May I ask what nute line you are giving your plants, light height, water temp, rez size, ppm,ec? I'm sorry for all the questions just want to help you. I need to know more to accurately fix you up.

Hey Life Hacker! !! Bring your pH to 6.2. That range is where you need to be for nutrient uptake. The yellowing on the older leaves is natural. This happens because the plant is now using its energy to focus on the flower stage of your plant. I would suggest changing your rez over and using the dosages required on the labels. Do you by change have a blue labs guardian? It's a must for anything that has a rez. It's gives you everything you need to know. I'm sorry I only saw your post now. May I ask what nute line you are giving your plants, light height, water temp, rez size, ppm,ec? I'm sorry for all the questions just want to help you. I need to know more to accurately fix you up.

gladly.... I don't always check it but water temp is usually around 68-75. Currently I am using General Hydroponics. I recently added cal mag and flower fuel. I was not sure if she needed the cal mag or not but I used it lightly. same for the flower fuel. Also I have been using a silica supplement throughout the entire life of the plant so far. I don't have a way to read PPM but my pH has always been around 5.9 - 6.0 and she never had any pH problems before that I know of.
And BTW I do not currently use a res. (just was experimenting with root zone space) I run Hydro run-to-waste. at least for now till I figure a better system. But my spoonfeefing run-to-waste method has worked fine so far. I usually use at least a gallon of RO water with a little bit of H2O2 before giving nutes to partially flush the medium so as to avoid nutrient salt build up. ( I just flushed her with 2 gallons instead because I was not sure what to do) And I do know that some yellowing on the older ones is natural but I don't think you are understanding me....this is NOT natural yellowing. this plant is running out of leaves to drop at the moment. Like I can literally pick a handful of leaves PER DAY that are yellow and about to drop off. and today, granted she was in need of water and idk what else, but today I saw that like nearly half of the remaining leaves have turned to a crispy brown and drop. The unaffected leaves look fine until they begin to yellow. I use a 1000w LED, roughly 24 inches away from the plant. Humidity has been around 35-50% lately and temp usually stays around 75ish. I had previously suspected a nitrogen toxicity around weeks 2-3 of flower and I accidentally over watered her around that same time. IDk what else would you like to know? I am completely F---ing lost on this plant. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on with it and its really got me down. I mean I just dropped some fresh genetics for next run but still.... I had a lot of hope for this run and now i am fairly certain this plant will either not make it to finish at all and if it does I have serious doubts what the quality and weight will look like..... Everything was going fine until I started flowering..... Im losing hope for this plant......

One more thing, I have always been told that for hydro the pH should be within 5.5-6.5 but I have always been told that 5.8-6.0 is ideal. How did you come up with 6.2? I could be wrong it's just what I have heard from a lot of people. But also, I have been keeping the pH for that plant steady at 6.0 for it's whole life. Of course I started using chemical tester then I moved to electronic so there may be a little bit of a fluctuation between the two but I always aim for 6.0 and I never had any problems with that before. Again maybe I am missing something.

she dropped more leaves today but they were mostly ones that were already damaged before I fed last night and besides that I don't seem to have excessive yellowing spreading much anymore, but it has only been one day since I tried to correct the nutes.

Here is the nutrient line up that I have given her most recently. Keep in mind I always stick to roughly 1/4 - 1/2 recommended doses.

so last night I filled a gallon of RO water and added the following and in this order....

2ml silicate
2ml cal mag
2ml GH flora micro
<1ml GH flora grow
3ml GH flora bloom
1/8th teaspoon Flower Fuel
... and adjusted the pH to about 6.0
Not that I don't believe you on the pH it's just she has gotten 6.0 her whole life and i feel like changing it now might stress her out... maybe not idk but I didn't want to take the risk. She is already too stressed and to be honest I don't think the problem was pH in this particular case.

I checked on her today after work and the good leaves have perked up a bit for sure and the buds have shown noticeable growth and development. Still worried but she does look a little better. The terps are not super present though which also has me concerned. like when I open the cabinet I can't really smell her unless I get my nose right up to the buds... never had that happen before. What would cause lack of delicious cannabis scent?

another thing I forgot... What would cause only 2 or 3 branches (at canopy level) to have next to no bud development while all the other branches have bud sites that seem to be exploding??? I have never seen nor heard of this happening. My best guess is maybe minor root damage??? only other thing I can think of is maybe those particular branches have weak stems and they are not transporting nutrients and hormones efficiently enough?? I really don't know. Anyone seen or heard of this before? They are small branches but still... they are at canopy level but barely have any bud growth at all while every other branch on the plant has bud sites that are covered in white hairs, starting to swell pretty decently, and super frosty....This is beyond me...

Back
Top Bottom