1st Grow, All New Equipment, 300W Mars-Hydro & 27"x27"x63" Tent

red420

Hello everyone,

This is going to be my first grow here. I grew a plant 15-20 years ago in a small hallway closet. I used only 160 watts of fluorescent lights and just some seaweed nutrient I got from the local nursery. I think I used miracle grow potting soil. I did ok. I think I yielded about 3oz of some fairly decent tasting smoke.

So now it's time to step it up a notch.

I bought all new equipment and still waiting on a few things to arrive so I can get this show on the road.

Here's what I got...

Grow Room Setup
-300W Mars-Hydro LED light
-Mars-Hydro 27"X27"X63" grow tent
-VIVOSUN 6 inch 390 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Plastic Fan w/ Speed Controller
-VIVOSUN 6 Inch Air Carbon Odor Control Filter
-iPower 2-PACK GLDUCT8CX2 Non-Insulated Ducting Aluminum Foil Vent with 2 Clamps, 8-Feet X 6-Inch
-iPower 6-Pairs of GLROPEX6 1/8" Heavy Duty Adjustable Grow Light Rope Clip Hangers
-VIVOSUN 3-Pack 5 Gallons Fabric Pots Grow Bags with Handles and Reinforced Seam
-VIVOSUN 164 Feet Twist Tie Roll Spool Dispenser w/ Cutter
-AcuRite 00613 Indoor Humidity Monitor
-VIVOSUN Indoor Hydroponics LED Grow Room Glasses Goggles

Soil
-Roots Organics Original Potting Soil, 1.5 cu ft

Nutrients
-General Hydroponics pH Control Test Kit
-Xtreme Gardening Mykos Pure Mycorrhizal Inoculant, 100g
-Roots Organics - Aurora Innovations Master Pack (Soil)
  • 16 oz Buddha Grow
  • 16 oz Buddha Bloom
  • 16 oz Trinity
  • 8 oz Amino-Aide
  • 8 oz Big Swell
  • 8 oz Ancient Amber
  • 8 oz Extreme Serene
  • 8 oz HP2
  • 8 oz HPK
  • 1.8 oz Oregonism XL
  • 4 oz Elemental
  • 2 oz Uprising Grow, Uprising Bloom and Uprising Foundation.

Seeds
  • 1 x Barney's Farm Pineapple Chunk Feminized Cannabis Seed
  • 1 x Barney's Farm LSD Feminized Cannabis Seed
  • 1 x Strain Hunters Money Maker Feminized Cannabis Seed
  • 1 x Bomb Seeds Hash Bomb Feminized Cannabis Seed
  • 1 x Royal Queen Seeds Special Kush #1 Feminized Cannabis Seed
  • 1 x 00 Seeds Northern Lights Auto Feminized Cannabis Seed
  • 1 x Black Skull Seeds DieselMatic Autoflowering Feminised Cannabis Seeds
  • 1 x Short Stuff Seeds Himalayan Blue Diesel Auto Feminized Cannabis Seeds

I think for this grow I am going to do the 3 different auto flower seeds.

Please let me know what you guys think about this setup. I would love to hear your advise and also any suggestions on anything I might be missing or how to go about maximizing my results. Any do's or don't regarding nutrient use. I would hate to over do it and destroy my efforts.

Once I get this setup I will post some pictures.

Thanks for stopping by. :smokin:

re: 1st Grow - All New Equipment - 300W Mars-Hydro & 27"x27"x63" Tent

Look forward to seeing your grow. I'm doing autos as well. My advice is to learn, grow and have fun sharing your ideas. This is going to be exciting.

Go Falcons!!!

Just curious about why you're running autos

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Just curious about why you're running autos

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

hoping for a quick harvest so I don't have to shell out any more $$$ for buds. I have plenty of seeds for the next several grows.

Hey red,
Good luck on your first "real" grow...my first grow was like yours..small closet,MG soil and 50w cfl netting about 1/4 oz. That was a few years ago too. Now I grow in a 2x4x5 cabinet with 3 Mars 300. Why I'm telling you this is that 3 plants is too many for that light. It will work, you'll just have somewhat airy buds. I have grown 7 at one time in my space but that was too crowded...lower buds didn't get much light. Now I try to keep it at 4, 3 would be ideal..1 light 1 plant. I wouldn't grow any more than 2 in your tent. But that's just my opinion and I'm fairly new to the game as well.
I've read that auto seeds should be planted in their final pot...no transplanting. Didn't know that the first time I grew one. Started seed in 18oz solo cup and transplanted about 3 weeks old...no problem. But that may be the exception and not the norm..IDK. I think there is someone on these boards named A-train(i think) who is a guru on autos. Check it out.
Hope some of this helps and good luck!!! It's (the growing) addictive!

:rollit:

Good luck which means I'm subbed in. If you ever need advice on how to kill those plants I'm your man. Atrain knows autos well I reckon

Today is the day!.

Everything has arrived. Got the tent all set up.

I decided to just grow one plant instead of three. Two reasons for this...

The pots I got are slightly larger in diameter then advertised so more than one would be tight and after reading pizaguy's comments I felt one plant would be best for this grow. Thanks for the advise pizzaguy.

I decided to got with the Short Stuff Seeds Himalayan Blue Diesel Auto Feminized Cannabis Seed for this grow. I am using the wet paper towel method to germinate the seed.

I filled a bowl with tap water yesterday and let it sit overnight. I checked the ph this afternoon and it was slightly elevated so I added some ph down solution and retested the water and it was perfect. Right around 6 ph. I dampened a paper towel, wrapped up the seed, placed it in a zip-lock baggie, and placed it in a drawer. I'll check on her in 48 hrs.

Here's a picture and description of this strain.
himalaya-blue-diesel.jpg

Himalaya Blue diesel (or HBD as it has become known) is a cross of our Blue Himalaya strain and New york city diesel. Blue Himalaya is an indica dominant auto which was the result of crossing the fattest, most resinous Nepalese kush plant we could find with our auto line and then introducing a complex blueberry hybrid. The result was a highly resinous strain which stayed very short and gave off a wonderful blueberry aroma. We took this awesome blue kush strain and then crossed it with new york city diesel to add spiciness and extra potency and the result blew us away.

The plant has very chunky, compact buds that often turn blue or purple at the end of the flowering period. It can get a fair bit taller than the Blue Himalaya, sometimes reaching 70 or 80cm but most examples will be 50-60 cm and can easily yield 1-2 ounces. The strain gives off fruity and spicy scents and has wonderful medicinal qualities borne out of its indica heritage.

Himalaya Blue diesel is one of our 'Next generation' Mid-sized autoflowering strains which means that while it retains the auto flowering characteristics of the original lowryder style strains, and will go from seed to bud in around 70 days, it is a much more potent, fast growing, taller strain and can easily match traditional photo-period cannabis strains.

Update #1

Thursday February 9, 2017

She's alive and has a nice tail starting.

I took the bowl of water I ph'd on Tuesday and emptied all of it into the 5 gal. pot and got the soil nice and moist and a small amount started to pool in the reservoir.

I inserted my index finger and made about a half inch deep impression in the middle of the pot. I sprinkled a light coating of Mykos and placed the seedling in the hole and gently covered her up.

IMAG075511.jpg

IMAG075610.jpg

IMAG076113.jpg

Update #2

Friday February 10 2017

I filled the gig bowl with water again and decide to add nutrients based on the feeding schedule from Aurora Innovations. I say based on because I am going to take it slow and go light on the amounts recommended. I don't want to over do it and any cause negative results.

I added about 1 ml of the Budda Grow, Trinity, and Ancient Amber to the water. and... I forgot to ph the water so I decided to wing it and added about 0.5 ml of the ph down solution.

I took an old spray bottle and cleaned it out and filled it with some of the solution. The top of the soil seemed to be dry so i sprayed the surface. Used about 8 oz.

The temp has been staying in the mid 80's and the humidity been staying in the 50-60% range

Update #3

Saturday February 11, 2017

She Sprouted... YEAH!!! :cheer:

Sprayed her and the soil in the morning and again in the late afternoon. used about 4 oz. each time. I don't want her to dry out but don't want to over do it either.

Temps have been holding in the 80's and the humidity's been holding in the 50's.

Sunday February 12, 2017

She's doing good, showing a small amount of growth since yesterday. Soil surface seems to be dry so I decide to spary again. I concentrated on the perimeter and not directly around the center near the seedling. I hope this encourages outward root growth. I used about 16 oz.

Temps and humidity have been holding steady in the 80's and 50's respectively.

IMAG076215.jpg

Update #4

Monday February 13, 2017

Yesterday I switched from having the lights on 24/7 to a 18/6 light cycle.

After turning the lights back on I filled the spray bottle up with nutrient /water mixture and the sprayer clogged up so I lightly poured some of the solution around the perimeter of the pot and there wasn't any water draining out so I continued to give her a drink. She was thirsty cause she didn't start to drain until I just about emptied the 32 oz. bottle. That finished off the nutrient mixture.

So it's now Monday night and she is coming along nicely. She looks like she has double in size. The soil is still moist from yesterdays feeding so I just gave her about 8 to 10 ml of water using a plastic pipette. I did this just at the base of the stem to ensure the main root stays moist during this delicate phase.

IMAG076513.jpg

IMAG076611.jpg

Update #5

Saturday February 18, 2017

After the heavy watering on Monday the soil is still on the moist side so I have only been doing the 10 ml of water at the base of the stem. I think the high humidity is primarily due to low ventilation. I keep the tent closed up most of the time so I took the second 6" duct and ran down the back corner of the tent through the top 8" vent opening and will run the ventilation fan more frequently.

I am waiting for the soil to get a little drier so I can do another dose of nutrients with the next watering.

Temps are running around 82 when the lights are on and it drops down to the low 70's when the lights are off.

Humidity has been running high. It's been in the 60's and 70's most of the week and has broke 80 on several occasions.

Here is a picture from Tuesday and today. Quite a difference.

IMAG076910.jpg

IMAG079412.jpg

Update #6

Monday February 20, 2016

Sunday afternoon I made up a new batch of nutrient solution consisting of 1 ml each of the following nutrients added to a half gallon of water. Roots Organics Budda Grow, Amino-Aide, Trinity, and Ancient Amber. I sprinkled about half a tsp. of Oregonism XL around the base of the stem and then lightly sprinkled some Mykos around the perimeter of the pot. I then emptied the half gallon of nute solution and waited to see if any water began to drain. Nothing, so I gave her another quart and that did it.

Temps have been continuing to stay in the low 80's with the lights on and the humidity has been getting up to the mid 60's. I am going to invest in a humidity controlled outlet to better maintain the humidity.

I have a question about run off ph. I checked the run off ph yesterday and it was orange, about 4.5 - 5 ph, after adding several drops of ph indicator. Is this something I should be concerened about and if so any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks.

Here's how shes looking tonight.

IMAG080214.jpg

IMAG079917.jpg

Update #8

Sunday February 26, 2017

Ok, so the last few days have been stressful. I have been trying to figure out what's been going on with the tips of my lower sun leaves drying out and my first single main leaves almost completely drying out and the 2nd set were getting yellowish(less green) lines. The lower leaves have been droopy and the soil has been dry on the top inch or two but still staying moist below that so I've been giving her small amounts of water using the pipette to apply the water directly to the leaves and letting it drip onto the soil. She would spring back and then get droopy.

The yellowing in the lower leaves also had me concerned. I wasn't sure if it was just symptoms of over-watering, or nute burn from high N, or Magnesium deficiency. After comparing it to many pictures online, I think it looked most like Magnesium deficiency so I sprinkled about a 1/2 tsp. of Roots Organics Elemental (Cal/Mag) around the main stem. This was done late Saturday afternoon/early evening.

WTF happened? I was getting ready to call it a night and stopped to take a peek and her leaves were all drastically drooped over. I was very worried she was dying. I had to figure something out to dry the soil out quicker since the lower soil area was staying way to damp. I'd read about air root pruning where the root tip will die when it comes in contact with open air and new off shoots will grow from that stem and create a stronger root ball. I also know that aeration to lawns helps the root system. So I took a drum stick and made a bunch of holes the full depth of the pot in an effort to get more air to the roots and hopefully dry the soil out some. Well, it appears to have worked. When I went in this morning to see how she was doing... WOW what a difference. She looks really good. I didn't take any pictures last night but here are some from today. See all the holes? LOL. Has anyone ever heard of doing this. I like the results. :yahoo:

IMAG082510.jpg

IMAG082410.jpg

IMAG082211.jpg

IMAG082013.jpg

Hey bud. Great journal! And your babies are about the same age as mine. But I have autos in mine, as for the nuts burn from before remember less is more. And the recommended dosage of nutes in a bottle goes by whatever many plants and wattage they had in that grow. So it's better to go under than over. Another thing with the droopy leaves it could be water as you stated or temperature changed from you opening and closing the tent as I learned today. How often do you water and how much? And why are there so many holes in your medium? I'm wondering if you damaged any roots while making them.

Sent from my Aquaris X5 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey bud. Great journal! And your babies are about the same age as mine. But I have autos in mine, as for the nuts burn from before remember less is more. And the recommended dosage of nutes in a bottle goes by whatever many plants and wattage they had in that grow. So it's better to go under than over. Another thing with the droopy leaves it could be water as you stated or temperature changed from you opening and closing the tent as I learned today. How often do you water and how much? And why are there so many holes in your medium? I'm wondering if you damaged any roots while making them.

Hey xNugget, Thanks for your input. The holes were a desperate attempt to revive the plant. I know the soil is way too wet below the surface and with her looking like she was dying I thought the holes would put more soil in contact with the air to aid in drying out the lower soil quicker and also cause some air root pruning and force the roots to create more off shoots. I am growing Auto's and know it was a gamble messing with the roots like that but it appeared to work seeing how she looked the day after making all them holes. LOL

I have the exhaust fan going 24/7 to help dry things out and with the light on the humidity has been staying in the low to mid 20's and climbing to the mid 30's in the dark. The temps have been staying in the hi 70's to low 80's with the lights on and doping to the low 70's in the dark.

The last big watering was on Sunday February 19th. I gave 3 qts of water and nutrients. I would say I am only using about 15-20% of what they recommend to use. I didn't give her any water again until Wed and again on Friday and that was just using a small pipette dripping water over her leaves and letting it drip onto the soil since the top felt dry. I would say I probably used about 2-4 oz each time. I then had to use a few ounces of water on Saturday when I fed her the cal/mag.

I think part of the problem is that I am using a 5 gal pot to grow from start to finish. I know this is the the recommendation with auto's but I think next time I will start with smaller pots and transplant when needed.

I also know there is something going on with the lower set of leaves. They have a yellowish line on each segment of the leaf, so I'm still trying to figure this one out.

BTW. She bounced back today. This morning she wasn't looking great but definitely better than last night and she is back to normal now. This has me almost thinking I may be underwatering. I may try watering less often but watering heavier each time.

Here are some pictures showing how she looks today compared to last night.

Hey xNugget, Thanks for your input. The holes were a desperate attempt to revive the plant. I know the soil is way too wet below the surface and with her looking like she was dying I thought the holes would put more soil in contact with the air to aid in drying out the lower soil quicker and also cause some air root pruning and force the roots to create more off shoots. I am growing Auto's and know it was a gamble messing with the roots like that but it appeared to work seeing how she looked the day after making all them holes. LOL

I have the exhaust fan going 24/7 to help dry things out and with the light on the humidity has been staying in the low to mid 20's and climbing to the mid 30's in the dark. The temps have been staying in the hi 70's to low 80's with the lights on and doping to the low 70's in the dark.

The last big watering was on Sunday February 19th. I gave 3 qts of water and nutrients. I would say I am only using about 15-20% of what they recommend to use. I didn't give her any water again until Wed and again on Friday and that was just using a small pipette dripping water over her leaves and letting it drip onto the soil since the top felt dry. I would say I probably used about 2-4 oz each time. I then had to use a few ounces of water on Saturday when I fed her the cal/mag.

I think part of the problem is that I am using a 5 gal pot to grow from start to finish. I know this is the the recommendation with auto's but I think next time I will start with smaller pots and transplant when needed.

I also know there is something going on with the lower set of leaves. They have a yellowish line on each segment of the leaf, so I'm still trying to figure this one out.

BTW. She bounced back today. This morning she wasn't looking great but definitely better than last night and she is back to normal now. This has me almost thinking I may be underwatering. I may try watering less often but watering heavier each time.

Here are some pictures showing how she looks today compared to last night.

Your going to be fine . she was just prob a lil stress from the root thing or over water maybe. But the 5 gallon is fine it's going to be huge :D

Back
Top Bottom