1st Time Grower! CFL - Small Personal Closet Grow

Mister 420

Growing 1 plant with 3 (26 watt) CFL's going to add one more 26 watt light bulb in a couple days.
Give me your feed back, ill be putting some pictures up tomorrow!

Re: 1st time Grower! CFL, small personal closet grow

Let's see it bro :D
ill be around.
my first couple grows were CFL.
good luck!
remember you need to keep them as close as possible! :D if you have a fan you could put those not even an inch above the plant. but thats not really needed till you get into veg, it starts to bush out and light doesn't get to the bottom like it used to. :peace:

Here are some pictures of my plant. I started growing it outdoors but set up a little room in my garage closet and started growing it in there. i say its been indoors for about 2 weeks now. Give me some feedback, to see what i can improve on.
09013.JPG
08912.JPG
08411.JPG
08514.JPG
08615.JPG

ive been reading that before you start flowering your plant you have to do 24 or 36 hours of darkness is it true?

No, you don't have to. I'm sure you could but I didn't and I know many people here don't. All you need to do for flowering is turn the light cycle down to 12h on 12h off. MJ also likes a warmer color spectrum for flowering, most people use 2700K lights as opposed to 6500K for veg. FYI, you can flower using 6500K lights as well, I've just read a few places that 2700K is better?

How much vertical room do you have? I ask because I started flowering my girl at about 13" and she is now ~40".

Also, why are there leaves strewn about the topsoil? Did they fall off?

yeah i know im going to use 4 2700k for flowering. im using a small room vertically its probably like 3 ft. The leaves on the bottom of the soil are from my other plant that i had

1st day into flowering. Im liking my first grow, its coming out nice. Its has 4 2700k CFLs, I also added a mini fan for some ventilation.
011444.JPG
008609.JPG
001923.JPG
010512.JPG

To tell you the truth i dont know what type of soil im using but i have been meaning to transfer it to a bigger pot a and buy some soil any good suggestions? nothing to expensive im on a small budget!

To tell you the truth i dont know what type of soil im using but i have been meaning to transfer it to a bigger pot a and buy some soil any good suggestions? nothing to expensive im on a small budget!

Since I am a first time grower I just went with the basic Miracle Grow soil for Home Depot. It's probably not the greatest stuff, but it's easy and cheap.

BTW, do you have a thermometer in there so you can check temps? I have a basic therm/humidity sensor I got from Home Depot for like 10 bucks. Very useful. I'm very glad I got mine so I can make sure my plant is comfy. It gets hot around here, especially with 300w of CFL's in the closet! I usually leave the door cracked open. Plus she smells amazing!

hi, great start to journal so far, my grow started with cfls and they got me well into flower but i was using nearly 400 actual watts so switched to hps in the last week or so, but cfls do work and they keep the plants small and bushy, you wont get much stretch with cfls, just keep them close to the plant, withing an inch or 2, then remember to switch to the 2700k cfls for flower or a mixture of the both, im well in flower now and my plants turned out to be bushy monsters and im hoping for some good yield from them.

miracle grow isnt the best to use as its contains slow release nutes and can mess up any nutes you add so id stay away from miracle grow, plus miracle grow is not much good on seeds or seedling as the nute content is to high, try something like john innes or similar, just make sure it dont clump up and you should be ok, feel free to have a look through my journal and look at the pics, theirs loads of advice on their so feel free to have a browse,

but cfls do work and they will flower the plants off nicely the buds wont be as packed as hps but you will still get some good smoke from it,

thanks for all good advise ill take it to consideration. Im going to go to either walmart or home depot for soil a bigger pot and ill check out those thermometers too. ill upload some more pictures too keep you guys updated on my plant in a day or two just too see if the hairs are showing already. hopefully its a female and not a male!

alright ill check it out. My plant has been in flower since sunday now still no signs of any sex yet. hopefully it will start showing pistils any day now

For soil I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest, reasonably priced and works good. I mix in about 1/3 perlite into the mix.. You will want quite a bit more than 4 2700k CFL's for flowering. I would say go for at least 8! Your plant looks nice and healthy, have you got any nutrients yet? Is this a feminized seed or clone?

i havent got any nutrietns yet. i want to go buy some flowering nuts soon. Also ima add more light but im thinking about mixing some 6500k.
right now i have 4 2700k CFLs but ima add 2 more 2700k and 2 6500k would that be fine! how big does the plant need to be so i can train it to bend cause i have limited vertical space but im not really sure how to do it. I dont want to end up snapping one of the branches off that would be horrible!

hi mister 420, the best option would be some form of lst, all i did was poke a load of holes around the edge of my pot and then i used pipe cleaners to bend the plant a bit each day and then it can be bent slightly more day by day, you can have the plant trained to run totally side ways, if you have a look on my journal and go back a few pages you will see how my plants ended up after topping and lst, i have got plants that are less than 1ft high but have over 20 top bud sites, im a new grower as well so was amazed what i ended up with, i got 2 plants that i did lst on and now their both not very high but have loads of top bud sites.
come and have a look and you will see how yours could end up with lst, looks like their under a scrog but their not i just lst and topped them, i wanted to flower my plants at 1ft high but their not even a foot high now and im well in flower, so they can be kepy small if they are trained properly.

now for your lights, if your in veg you need more of the 6500k cfls, the 2700k cfls are the flower stage bulbs, cfls keep the plants small and bushy. the 6500k prevent the plants from stretching and the 2700k make them stretch more, so in veg you need to use a mixture that is high in the 6500k range and less in the 2700k so 3 6500k to every 1 2700k bulb in veg and the opposite for flower

Back
Top Bottom