1st True Indoor Grow After 35 Years Of Cultivation

ok some questions for the audience on a couple of things. will my tea solution i am using cause problems that i think are now corrected in my soil. The pure blend tea i use is botanicare, along with the thrive b1 solution and the cal-mag that also has a small amount of nitrogen. My fresh worm casting, come from the full circle compost place that is about 35 miles away. I just know that i have been doing that now for like 3 weeks, since that first day of flowering and the N2 that gets added from the bottles is low, i imagine that i am getting more from the worm castings.

Also I have done a ton of reading on using CO2 and comments and info are all over the place so i think its one of those things that as you do it and track what is happening you will get a better feel going forward, but now that i am into flowering pretty good, i wonder if i should shut it down completely or use just enough to maintain 5-600 ppm during the light time?? or keep it where it is now which is lower than it was the 1st 3 weeks of 1000-1600. i am running now at about 550-900. I have read so much conflicting information that i just don't want to end up messing what is turning into a real nice 1st indoor grow. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ok cryodude, I don't feel very comfortable giving u any "advice" looking at what u have going. I'm 31 and u have been growing longer than I've been alive.

But I read a lot. And I grow in a living supersoil and use teas. It seems u have an excellent soil mix that has been nicely cooked before use. Not too sure about botanicare in a tea, counterproductive? Soil PH isn't something u should ever have to bother monitoring.
I missed that ur running your soft water through an RO filter? Living soil grows don't like salts at all. There shouldn't need to be any PHing of water either it doesn't seem. And when u had to flush your containers I could picture loads minerals being washed out. :(
But then I look at your plants, which look freaking amazing!
So idk.

I'm subbed to follow and maybe someday ill have to bother you for some pro build tips!

Ok cryodude, I don't feel very comfortable giving u any "advice" looking at what u have going. I'm 31 and u have been growing longer than I've been alive.

But I read a lot. And I grow in a living supersoil and use teas. It seems u have an excellent soil mix that has been nicely cooked before use. Not too sure about botanicare in a tea, counterproductive? Soil PH isn't something u should ever have to bother monitoring.
I missed that ur running your soft water through an RO filter? Living soil grows don't like salts at all. There shouldn't need to be any PHing of water either it doesn't seem. And when u had to flush your containers I could picture loads minerals being washed out. :(
But then I look at your plants, which look freaking amazing!
So idk.

I'm subbed to follow and maybe someday ill have to bother you for some pro build tips!

Howdy CO, thanks for joining the fun. I agree, typically a nice organic supersoil with lots of microbial growth is fine, and i do have RO on my softener but its only for tap water in the kitchen sink and ice maker and water from the fridge. the tank only holds 3 gallons and the filters are like 90.00 a set so i just use the softened water and its still 7.5-8.0 ph. so i use vinegar to drop it for reg watering but i'm setting up an alternate system as of today so they will get the light nutes in their little tea every other watering now, so twice a week and reg water,m 1-2 times a week as well. I just dumped so much alkaline water on them at the start that the lime in the soil didn't seem to keep the PH down, so i flushed daily for a week with around 5.5 to 6.0 water, 2-3 gallons daily and waterlogged the soil a bit but that really seems to have helped. And my hydro gardening buddy here at his hydro shop said the botanicare pure blend tea would be good for supplements as it is an organic based tea. i've used a qt in about 30 days,(i use 25-30 mil a gallon 2 times week) so its a weak solution coupled with my worm castings, and i have some smaller plants that are in 2 gal pots that didn't get the bad water and they are in the same base as my big plants and they are doing super well.. still amazingly dark green. I may plug a few shots of those.. they are seeds i bred from crossing a couple things i grew in 2011 and 2012.

I have been going through the living organics handbook I have on your behalf this morning. A couple of things that stand out to me: never use softened water on your container plants (check PPM it's probably really high), never use any botanicare product on your container plants. The book is not a sponsor here so I will just send u a quick PM with name and u can research for yourself.

As far as teas go I want to leave you with a little thought here. I like to think of teas as a microherd boost rather than a "feeding". With the supersoils, all the "food" the plants need is in the container. By aerating the tea ingredients in pure water for a day or so you allow a huge population boom of beneficials to grow. The healthy population of microbials processes the organic matter and minerals in your supersoil. That is how I understand teas to work. And the guy at my hydro store (also a buddy nowadays) doesn't get this either. It really is all about not pissing off the microherd, and they don't like salts at all.

I want to say to how awesome your scrog is. The stalks are like tree trunks! You are gonna pull a sick harvest it looks like. Keep up good work. I only chimed in here because I saw no one else had attempted to answer your questions.

I have been going through the living organics handbook I have on your behalf this morning. A couple of things that stand out to me: never use softened water on your container plants (check PPM it's probably really high), never use any botanicare product on your container plants. The book is not a sponsor here so I will just send u a quick PM with name and u can research for yourself.

As far as teas go I want to leave you with a little thought here. I like to think of teas as a microherd boost rather than a "feeding". With the supersoils, all the "food" the plants need is in the container. By aerating the tea ingredients in pure water for a day or so you allow a huge population boom of beneficials to grow. The healthy population of microbials processes the organic matter and minerals in your supersoil. That is how I understand teas to work. And the guy at my hydro store (also a buddy nowadays) doesn't get this either. It really is all about not pissing off the microherd, and they don't like salts at all.

I want to say to how awesome your scrog is. The stalks are like tree trunks! You are gonna pull a sick harvest it looks like. Keep up good work. I only chimed in here because I saw no one else had attempted to answer your questions.

ya i dunno why no one has harassed me at all but this is more about keeping track of what i am doing and documenting it here. IT's all good cause i've got good background, just not these little pots indoors with a controlled space, seems that it should be easier but i'm learning that a little problem can be magnified and be a big problem really fast if you don't stay on top of stuff, and not jump to conclusions when an issue does arrive. I'll catch up with you later bud!!

Hi cryodude.

I know I'm joining late, but I'd love to follow along as well. New'ish to indoor as well and I really like what you have going on in your grow room.

Wish I could offer some thoughts on your CO2, but I have no first hand experience with it. Like you, I've read on the topic a bunch and have also found quite a bit of conflicting information. Your girls seem to like what the environment though and are starting to get pretty frosty, so I guess I'd be pretty tempted to keep doing what seems to be working well.

As CO mentioned, thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Be well and happy growing!

Hey, nice work pal.

If you wanna add a signature, go to 'user CP' at the top of the page,

Then there is an option to edit your signature

Thanks Sir VVD, and we will see that sig now i think. thanks for stopping by, more sugar and bud shots going up.. stuff has changed soooo much in two days hehe!!

Nice setup! I like the shot of those tops above the trellis. I wish you a heavy healthy harvest.

Thanks Calyx Hunter and welcome to my lil piece of 420 here. and I don't know how heavy, but my guess is gonna be really good from all the sugar coating already and still have about 6 weeks of flowering to go.

Hi cryodude.

I know I'm joining late, but I'd love to follow along as well. New'ish to indoor as well and I really like what you have going on in your grow room.

Wish I could offer some thoughts on your CO2, but I have no first hand experience with it. Like you, I've read on the topic a bunch and have also found quite a bit of conflicting information. Your girls seem to like what the environment though and are starting to get pretty frosty, so I guess I'd be pretty tempted to keep doing what seems to be working well.

As CO mentioned, thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Be well and happy growing!

Howdy TanR, thanks and you're not late at all.. I put all this together in the past 3-4 days.. Just a little labor of love here. More shots coming up in a bit. all the same.. i just can't stop taking picts and posting them.. like a new hobby now heh!!

OK i just can't not do this.. i know things don't can't change much in 48 hours , but doesn't matter to me.. i gotta post more picts!! i really need to get my good camera out and try using it for some uber close-ups for SUPA SUGA SHOTS!!! sounds like a new fun concoction to drink.. Anyhow the first set of shots will be various angles, etc of the bubba kush baby!! heh... guess i need to upload them first.. back soon 8:15pm [pacific time]...

ok bubba kush is ready..... 8:30pm boy am in slow!!! oh well wtf...... just 6 picts...

bubba_kush_full_plant_shot_2-3-14.JPG
bubba_kush_cola_got_da_fuzzies_2-3-14.JPG
bubba_kush_cola_goodness_mmm_2-3-14.JPG
bubba_kush_bud_close_up_2-3-14.JPG
bubba_kush_SS_1_2-3-14.JPG
Bubba_Kush_cola_madness_2-3-14.JPG

OK now i gotta upload the Sensi Star #1 shots.. will be much quicker.. everything is edited already

sensi_star_1_top_shot_2-3-14.JPG
sensi_star_1_full_plant_shot_2-3-14.JPG
sensi_star_1_colas_on_da_wall_2-3-14.JPG
sensi_star_1_cola_crystal_yummy_2-3-14JPG.JPG
Sensi_Star_1_bud_baby_bud_2-3-14.JPG
Sensi_Star_1_2_2-3-2014.JPG

and finally the Sensi Star #2 shots, forthcoming shortly.....

ss_2_crystals_coming_to_visit_2-3-14.JPG
ss_2_cola_crystal_2-3-14.JPG
sensi_star_cola_close_up_2-3-14.JPG
sensi_star_2_full_plant_shot_2-3-14.JPG
Sensi_Star_2_baby_colas_2-3-14.JPG
SS_2_top_shot_2-3-2014.JPG

Okies that's all for today.. thanks for stopping by and as usual, if anyone has thoughts on organic tea and changing my CO2 in flowers since this is now 3rd day of week 4, lmk.. thanks once again!!

i noticed when i was working in the garden today that i have a lot of hairs here and there changing color. And i discovered the culprit... "ME". i bounced some around pulling them down and back and forth in the screen and as i work on things leaning over stuff and such they are rubbing on my clothes.. i gotta be more careful... good thing i'm not stoned doing this, my old ass would probably fall right on top of them... bad bad boings there!!

Outdoor is just so much better :) I read that too about the salt from the softener destroying the microherd.

I found indoors the soil really doesn't matter too much if you feed them right. The simpler the better. RO filter isn't too expensive to hook up and use too. I'm not sure if the salts are really that big a deal though- just in my experience outdoors (I haven't run chem indoors so this may not apply but). Flooding chem (salt) outdoors down the rows and adding some organic nutrients in between based on what the plant needs- you can get optimal growth and that microherd is alive and well. This of course after you've established roots. All salts and your looking at bozo crops, they can get big but some of the plants will just yellow and die for no reason at all, it's really a lame way to grow from what I've seen- but very common. They get big plants but lose some.. I guess if you grew a lot and just keep the most tolerant ones it works and you'll have monsters. Just seems like it's really half ass though, and it could be the reason people write about salt from the softener causing problems indoor. Salt from the softener and they are watering in chem on top. Some strains are total tanks but they are usually F1 crosses. I've heard acidic soil is bad too- like lots of wood chips. I tried it and its fine too! So who knows.. There's the temperature difference too.. The temperature stays pretty consistent down in the soil outdoors.

It's the reason you can grow in 118 degree desert heat. Indoors that's just not possible. The plant outdoor isn't root bound either. I haven't monitored the ph in my indoor soil grow because I only use ro water and organic nutrients. 20 on/4 off veg and 7 on/12 off flower gets it done early too. I'm kind of curious about bud washing :)

Anyways nice job on the lst I like your grow. That's pretty pro stuff there. Just keep the shotgun in the back closet and board up the fence so your neighbor isn't sticking his face in there lol

Outdoor is just so much better :) I read that too about the salt from the softener destroying the microherd.

I found indoors the soil really doesn't matter too much if you feed them right. The simpler the better. RO filter isn't too expensive to hook up and use too. I'm not sure if the salts are really that big a deal though- just in my experience outdoors (I haven't run chem indoors so this may not apply but). Flooding chem (salt) outdoors down the rows and adding some organic nutrients in between based on what the plant needs- you can get optimal growth and that microherd is alive and well. This of course after you've established the roots. All salts and your looking at bozo crops, they can get big but some of the plants will just yellow and die for no reason at all, it's really a lame way to grow from what I've seen- but very common. They get big plants but lose some.. I guess if you grew a lot and just keep the most tolerant ones it works and you'll have monsters. Just seems like it's really half ass though, and it could be the reason people write about salt from the softener causing problems indoor. Salt from the softener and they are sticking in chem on top. Some strains are total tanks but they are usually F1 crosses. There's the temperature difference too.. The temperature stays pretty consistent down in the soil outdoors.

It's the reason you can grow in 118 degree desert heat. Indoors that's just not possible. The plant outdoor isn't root bound either. I haven't monitored the ph in my indoor soil grow because I only use ro water and organic nutrients. 20 on/4 off veg and 7 on/12 off flower gets it done early too. I'm kind of curious about bud washing :)

Anyways nice job on the lst I like your grow. That's pretty pro stuff there. Just keep the shotgun in the back closet and board up the fence so your neighbor isn't sticking his face in there lol

Thanks bothteams for the comments and info. And ya, my neighbors are cool, but the filter system makes the area smell free, even with the flower room, it's pretty mild, which is a good thing. I am going to do some research on the softener.. I don't think this system leaves salts in the water. but i'm a gonna research it also need to take a trip and get some more worm castings. only have enough left if i fudge a bit to maybe get through this grow. might add some kelp to the tea to cover that part. I could have done better with the LST but overall not bad. I'll do better on the next grow with it. 2 cataract kushes and a vanilla kush, already vegg'ed for like 5 weeks, and probably at least 5 more.. my room will be a lot fuller in a couple of months. I need more space!!!

Thanks CO. i need to drop by your journal too... cya there!!

i did that research on my water softener and found out that the amount of salt in my water is 525 to 550mg per gallon of water. the ph is 8.2 to 8.5 depending on the day.. that is what i use vinegar typically to get the water down to 6-6.3 for watering in my organic soil.. if anyone sees this and has a thought.. please share. off to research that amount of salt now.. really don't want to have to do another RO system but will if that is what i need to do...

Back
Top Bottom