Max Reefer's First Grow After a 20 Year Hiatus

Re: Max Reefer's huge failure after a 20 year hiatus

at this point this journal is done. on to bigger and better things. if anyone is interested, you can find my current journal at that "other site", same name. cheers and green bowls!

thank you to everyone who participated and or offered advice or help.

MR

Max, that's damned shame, but I loved seeing those little fuckers go up in flames! I imagined them all screaming in unison and writhing in agony. I'll find you on the other site.

Max, that's damned shame, but I loved seeing those little fuckers go up in flames! I imagined them all screaming in unison and writhing in agony. I'll find you on the other site.

yeah, I thought I heard a collective scream as the fire took off. I have a couple journals at the bubble ponics forum. do stop in and say high.

MR

Go with what works for you. So far I'm in love with DWC but I'm growing in a basement in Michigan so my nutrients are staying around 71° F. As the temperature rises down here over the course of summer I may find that I need to have a chiller though. I was growing in "soil" and still have the girls up off the concrete floor even though they are in DWC buckets but I'm soon to be building a larger vegging area and then the girl's buckets will be down on that 65° slab and should be fine. As soon as this soil grow is over and I can work in the flowering room again I will be making a couple of changes in my ventilation system and putting in a RDWC with the res outside the room so it doesn't pick up all that waste heat from the lights.

I love DWC!

No soil to mix & dispose of
No worries about over/under watering
Easy ph testing
Oh yeah and can't forget about
Faster & bigger growth!

Now on the other hand if something goes wrong with your res it can quickly affect the plant. But if you have separate buckets it can be an easy fix.

I was no good growing in soil but I thrive in dwc!

Damnit I'm sorry lol didn't mean to get people all ruffled. Let me rephrase

Dwc has failed for me. So I do not like it right now lol

No doubt about that, Greensmurf! Two months ago I had four rooted clones. I put two of them in soil and two of them in DWC. The two in soil were intended to be mothers and I don't plan on taking a lot of cutting from them so they are fine like that. I kept those plants in good lighting and they grew quite nicely. The two plants in DWC were kept in a low light area for the first month because I still had plants that needed to veg another month and I hadn't finished building the budding room. The soil plants in good light grew about 18 inches while the light starved DWC plants only grew an inch or two. When I finally put the DWC plants under the same lights as the soil plants the difference in the two methods quickly became obvious. DWC plants grow at about twice the rate as plants in soil. My runt DWC plants have overtaken the soil plants that had all the advantages at first and they are also much more vigorous and healthy looking. If I hadn't light starved those two DWC clones I would be looking at the same results as this grower had -

And I haven't fooled around with organic stuff and bacteria, just General Hydroponics Grow/Micro/Bloom and I don't have any slime of globs or gobs. I just hope the final product tastes OK.

Max, I'll be following your top feed flood & drain system. It sounded like a great way to grow when I heard of it.

ok, for everyone here, I have had my hydroton beds running for about 4 weeks. the growth is explosive for the most part with no slime, root rot or nute def/burn issues. the foliage is dark green and healthy and none of the leaf tips are curling and brown.

garden_7_13_14.jpg

the_blue_cheese_three.jpg

pit_bull1.jpg

cheers!

MR

I'd love to max!
Thought we would never hear from u again.

Nice setup! Glad u got it all in check now. Looking really really nice!

thanks stumped, I still watch threads here but I don't have time to maintain journals on more than one forum. I am four and a half weeks into my new grow with the beds and everything is like I remember it being 20 years ago. keeping it simple and trying to keep from doing too much is paying off.

I also just built a hydroton bed propagation tub. that could also work for a one or two plant closet grow.

propagation_tub.jpg

Mr

Wow Max, only seven days? Those plants are exploding! Read your whole journal and I will say one thing for you, you are persistent, fearless and willing to give new things a try, and that will take you very far in growing. That is how you gain experience and learn lessons that become priceless. Good work dude!!

Wow Max, only seven days? Those plants are exploding! Read your whole journal and I will say one thing for you, you are persistent, fearless and willing to give new things a try, and that will take you very far in growing. That is how you gain experience and learn lessons that become priceless. Good work dude!!

thanks bangabong, I am definitely persistent. trying new things almost ended it for me. I have come to the realization that deep water culture is nothing more than a fad style of growing. the hydroton bed system I am using now is something I learned from books written by people who knew what they were doing, and that was before the internet! needless to say, I have learned some lessons these past few months! dwc is nothing short of finicky. what I am doing now is robust and low maintenance with great results.

come find me (same name) at the bubble ponics forum and check out my current grow. I am about to scrog my hydroton beds. the girls are growing crazy and it will be my first scrog or sog grow. I am also planning to flip the 12/12 switch this Friday.

MR

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom