Max Reefer's First Grow After a 20 Year Hiatus

Lol holy crap. Look at all those budsites on the blue dream. It does remind ya of a fireworks show.

The Chernobyl is looking resiny and sweet.

What week are you on with them?

the three nysd and the chernobyl are all at 34 days and the blue dream is at 32 days today.

MR

thanks for your interest in my grow and your willingness to help. it seems that in addition to the pests and fungal issues I am still struggling with high temps. I don't have a chiller and the room temps are hitting 90 degrees every day (even with my new led lights). if there is anything that is a killer for dwc, it's high temps. I have an idea for a diy chiller but until I have the details worked out and a functional chiller, I am not going to say what it is. if it is a success I will make a thread for it because no one has done it yet. that being said, it will require that you have a reservoir system for it to work.

would you please expound on the "recipe" you use? I am not familiar with some of the stuff you mention. cal/mag and silica in particular. how much of each ingredient per gallon, etc.. I am not familiar with "hygro's recipe" and could not find it on here. do you have a link maybe?

I am planning to turn my setup into a top drip reservoir system that has a main reservoir that all the nute fluid returns to. this type of system worked well for me in the past, so I am thinking it is the way to go.

every time I searched for a solution to any of the problems I have had, the ultimate solution was to scrap the grow, disinfect and start over. I am almost to that point with the dwc plants. they only have a couple more weeks to be done, so as long as they stay perky, I will let them go. it's a shame because some of them smell so good. but at this point they are just taking up space.

it has been really saddening to watch these plants deteriorate into what they have become...

dwc_fail_1.jpg

dwc_fail_2.jpg

my dirty girls however seem to be immune to the high room temps and are responding very well to the super cropping and defoliating they have been receiving. they also seem to have really enjoyed the molasses and oregonisms (mycorrhizae) I gave them.

chernobyl40.jpg

yes, if you didn't notice, I got my new led grow lights a couple days ago. they are four 400 watt lights from lgledsolutions.com. great people to work with and nice lights too. although they do make more heat than I thought they would. but still less than the hps lights I had in there. I have 2 more on the way too. I am planning to use 5 of them in my flower room and one in the veg space.

my girls, all 14 of them.

led_11.jpg

MR

I pulled the deadwood and two white elephants today. I was a bit surprised at the new roots on the deadwood. I could have probably put her back in veg and maybe saved her.

deadwood_roots.jpg

MR

Got some more info on this top drip system?
I know what they are, but what type you have in mind?

I envision a system where the buckets all drain back to a main reservoir bucket. where the nute solution is then pumped back to the top of the hydroton in each bucket. there would be a couple air stones in the reservoir to keep the solution rich in oxygen. this type of system might also have a chiller of some sort to keep the solution temps low and full of oxygen. this is very important because warm water won't hold oxygen like cold water will. I am thinking that an air conditioner is going to be first on the list of climate control items, and may make a chiller not necessary. right know I am working on getting my clone/veg room completed.

I think for a temporary top drip setup I am going go get a bunch of small cheap pond pumps and put one in each bucket to pump the solution up to the top of the hydroton and let it drain back into the bucket. each bucket would have an air stone and probably only have a gallon of nute solution. whatever is necessary to cover the pump and no more. this would be easier than plumbing an elaborate return system and it would also isolate each plant. so if one plant has a problem, it won't effect the others.

in either situation, the pumps will run on a timed cycle of 15 on 45 off around the clock. and the cycle will be adjusted according to how the plants react.

MR

Interesting idea. I'd like to see this in action.

I had an idea the other night while digging through old computer parts lol I found thermoelectric chiller plates, peltier. I use to run them in my over clocking days. Can buy them on eBay cheap now. And they can run off a computer power supply.

Long story short one side is -50c the other side is +50c. Use some thermal glue to stick them to a dwc bucket. Put a heatsink with a small fan on the other side. Hookup a thermostat so it don't get too cold.

The plates I have here are smaller 25w or 50w plates. Might have a project on my hands. Also might need a bigger plate for a 5g bucket

everyone got a dose of oregonisms today along with a nute change.

nutes consist of;

half ml of chlorine remover.
gh grow micro bloom 1 2 3 tsps per gallon respectively for the flowering girls.
2 drops per gallon superthrive.
three tsps per gallon aqua shield.
as usual, no need to adjust the ph, since it is at 6.0 after adding nutes.

MR

Max, I don't think ladybugs will help, at least this dude says they won't and he sounds like he knows his shit. Basically you need to finish this grow and fumigate everyfuckingthing.

Max, I don't think ladybugs will help, at least this dude says they won't and he sounds like he knows his shit. Basically you need to finish this grow and fumigate everyfuckingthing.

I have seen this video before. that guy sure is long winded. after some more searcing, I found a recipe for pepper spray. pureed habanero peppers simmered in water and then filtered and put in a spray bottle. I would not recommend anyone try this method without proper protective gear. I happen to have a fresh air hood for my sand blasting hobby which is just the thing when you are using this stuff..

the pepper puree after filtering. this stuff is hot!

habenaro_puree.jpg

the spray ready to go.

spray_bottle_full_of_caliclean.jpg

my protective suit.

zuit_suit.jpg

and me in my fresh air hood.

baked_and_ready_to_spray.jpg

MR

thanks for the show of support stumped. it is official, the pepper spray is useless. part of the problem is that the outside temps have risen into the mid 80's and my grow room is hitting 95 degrees! at that temp they reproduce like crazy! and they are spreading fast!

I have decided to cut everything and wash the buds before drying and curing. it's a shame because the dirty girls were starting to put on weight. but they still have 3 weeks to go. :(

MR

Sorry to hear bro. 95f don't even think soil would do well in that.

Did ya ever think of downsizing? Maybe section off a nice manageable footprint and try 1 or 2 LEDs? And start from scratch.

I'm willing to help shoot ideas to help ya get something going.

Cheers man.

actually my dirty girls were doing fine until the mites got to them. I think 95 is about the limit though. at those temps keeping their soil wet becomes an issue.

once my heat pump ($600 I wasn't expecting to spend) arrives and gets installed, temps will no longer be an issue. I am still thinking about putting my led lights in vent boxes to trap and exhaust the heat they make without removing the co2 I am pumping into the room.

MR

well after hours of labor, I have 5 boxes of cut plant matter washed and ready for drying. that being said, it seems that one of my girls had boy parts. I haven't identified the culprit yet. not sure I ever will. it's sad because the girls effected are all 3 weeks from finishing. meaning that none of their seeds will be viable. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. they would have been unknown sex and likely to be hermies. not sure how it could have happened (high temps maybe), but my other (dwc) gals seem unaffected. meaning that the dirty girls may have come prepolinated. purely speculation on my part. I trimmed the plants into a tub and then threw them (with agitation) into a bath of vegetable wash. after they sat in the wash for awhile, I gave them a rinse with the hose then they went into a fresh water bath. from there I shook as much water out of them as I could and hung them in boxes. I still have 2 plants to cut. the chem dawg and the golden goat. that will have to wait till after work tomorrow. till then, pics...

boxed.jpg

shitsnax.jpg

after the trimming and washing I burned the clippings and the source of the mites. yup, I burned the entire blue dream. her buds were all tiny and she had bugs. so she had to go.

die_die.jpg

fire! he! he! fire! fire! (said in my best bevis voice)...

burn20.jpg

bugs be damned!

MR

Back
Top Bottom