2nd Grow - CFL's - Exodus Cheese - LST/SCROG - Advice Always Welcome!

Re: 2nd grow. CFL's, Exodus Cheese, lst/scrog, advice always welcome!

It is my understanding that it will help get a bigger rootball by doing multiple transplants. It supposedly prevents the roots from growing to the sides and down the edge of the pot.

Afaik, I can just burry my seedling cups in new medium, without taking the plants out. They are made from peat ..
It will prolly be a pain in the ass to repot again after that, but the rootball argument makes sense to me.

Day 9, just pictures today.

midnight
20140817_121011.jpg

morning
20140817_182655.jpg

noon
20140818_000735.jpg
]

Day 10, the second set of real leaves is starting to be clearly vissible. I repotted them at their midnight time .. as the roots had punctured the peatpot's, and where about to grow into my towel .. a few little ends already did just that.

They are now in 3L pots. Lights have been raised a bit to accomodate the fact that they are now more spread out.

Midnight, pre-repot:
20140818_122052.jpg

Morning for the ladies .. 4 hours in their new homes here:
20140818_183949.jpg

Mid-day for the ladies:
20140819_004851.jpg

2nd set of leaves developing nicely: (tho not all tha visible due to the light :/ I'll try a closeup tomorrow)
20140819_004905.jpg

Concerning your light setup. That grate you are hanging your lights from looks like the grate to a NuWave Cooker. If you wish to add more light maybe try to find an Oven grate that is square and much larger and would allow for plenty more flowering light to be added. Looking good so far.

As far as keeping your COCO in the pots, Use Hydroton or clay pebbles as they allow for great water/air flow and will keep the Coco from blowing all over. Only need a thin layer to where you cant see the coco through it and you'll be fine.

Concerning the Root Mass. I start in 8oz Solo cups as do most growers I think. and I then transplant them to 5 gallon pots whee they stay the rest of their lives. But I can get clones or seedlings over 12" tall in that solo cup before transplanting. And believe it or not the first 6-18" of root mass is the most important. This is the section that uptakes the nutrients so the denser this area is the better. The main Tap root that goes deep is always in search of water. So I am a firm believer that the tighter the root mass in a smaller container the more water/food is taken up. I have gotten 4 oz off a single 24" tall plant with no training. But I fed from the top and watered from the bottom. If you look at my current Journal in progress, I show a few pictures of a 7 plant indoor run. The tallest plant there was 31" and I pulled over 24 oz from the 7.

How I keep my roots in a tight clump near the top is smaller feedings more often while in VEG. I feed a 1-2' tall plant 1/2L to 1L of water/Nutes every couple of days. and water from the bottom in a runoff tray every 3rd watering. Clones/Seedlings with established roots get thoroughly watered in their 8oz cup with 1/4L of water with 1/4 Strength Nutes Every other feeding. I also make sure that I am adding in Myco once a month. With seedlings I put a pinch on a plate and roll the seed with taproot showing around gently until it is covered and then plant. Clones I dust the roots with Myco. Established plants I use my finger to gently poke a small 2-3" hole hear the base into the root system be very careful not to damage a large amount of roots. I then add a couple teaspoons into each hole and cover back up with soil and water/feed. I even do this while in flower except I do 4 holes around the perimeter of the plant because at this time the soil feels like i'm pushing on a sponge because of my root mass. And when my plants reach 3-4' beauties I then water/feed with 2L.

To each his own though. Don't take what I say seriously as I am not a professional and I am always still learning and trying different things to at least one lady per run. Your Lighting, Nutes, Temp, Grow Media, etc all have an impact on how well your plant does. You could do exactly what I do and have completely different results, no grower grows the same as another and no grow room is identical to another. Do what works for you and what provides for you the best.

Just remember - "Keep it Simple" you will learn something after each grow so the next one is always better. you have picked a good strain it's a short, squat good fro SCROG. Don't take on to much this being your first "go-about".Maybe LST easier and can achieve good yields at first

Whoops .. forgot to press 'post' ...

Thanks for that share devilish! That gives me much to think about for how I will handle the clones I intend to take, and future plants.

Day 11 for the ladies ..

Midnight for them, just an attempt at a close-up .. overview is boring
20140819_123556.jpg

Morning
20140819_183222.jpg

Noon
20140820_003319.jpg

20140820_003340.jpg

It is my understanding that it will help get a bigger rootball by doing multiple transplants. It supposedly prevents the roots from growing to the sides and down the edge of the pot.

Perhaps, but each time you do so you risk damage. With CFL's I wouldn't worry about root room - your grow will be nice and gentle. I love CFL growing!

Afaik, I can just burry my seedling cups in new medium, without taking the plants out. They are made from peat .. It will prolly be a pain in the ass to repot again after that, but the rootball argument makes sense to me.

Yeah, I would keep your seedlings in your peat cups.

EDIT - you did! Nice!

Nice work so far!

Just to add don't worry about the "roots" with CFL use, they work great, the only thing I would recommend/consider is a good root stimulator (great white, ect) which use in all stages of growth, during the Seedling stage use2x's a week, then in Vegation and flower stage use 1x per week (when feeding just use water ; no nutrients with) then let dry next day and then feed it your nutrients (the reason why use just with water is that some nutrients inhibit root srimulators. Also in week 5 of flower stop use, a good stimulator needs a week to work and spread the plants" tiny" roots. One CAN grow excellent product with the use of CFL's:peace: Also forgot what size cfl's - you know you can get 300 watters -500 watters + 600 and 800 watters

Quick day 13 update .. forgot to post yesterday

Morning
20140821_181251.jpg

20140821_181344.jpg

Afternoon
20140821_230828.jpg

20140821_230838.jpg

20140821_230911.jpg

20140821_230946.jpg

Day 14, again missing the 'midnight' pic.

Morning

20140822_185419.jpg

Midnight

20140823_011459.jpg

20140823_011721.jpg

I'm sorry for the bad quality of the pics ... I've tried multiple angles and flash/no flash .. holding the lamps to the side .. and they still come out crappy :/

Day 15 for my little ladies. I'm a little worried to be honest .. it seems that some of the new leaves are not forming all that great, but I cuold also just be paranoid. Also, it seems one of the plants experienced some lightburn .. probably due to a water droplet being on there in full light .. dunno how damaging that is going to be.

I tried closeups today, and again, no midnight shot .. going to skip that from now on I think.

Without further ado, the pictures:

Morning:

20140823_181046.jpg

Noon:

20140824_002242.jpg

20140824_002301.jpg

20140824_002321.jpg

20140824_002328.jpg

20140824_002338.jpg

Fuck me senseless .... sorry for the crappy pictures again ... any tips on how to improve this ? Pictures are taken with a smartphone ... no budget for anything more professional....

Also, comparing to my first grow ... this being day 15 ... they seem to grow pretty fucking slow ? Anybody has any thoughts on this ?

Camera: Make sure you focus. It can take several tries when the lens keeps focusing elsewhere. WYSIWYG on the screen.

Slow growth: Those fiber Pots maybe? I don't think those little pots break down fast enough without excessive water. But just my opinion..

It's too late to do that without damaging roots. They where already coming out of the bottom and some small ones snapped when I took them off the towel .. roots where growing into it.

I fear that if I try to repot now, I will cause more damage then I will solve ..
They are still growing .. but verry slow .. no peat pots for me anymore if growth picks up along the line :/

It's too late to do that without damaging roots. They where already coming out of the bottom and some small ones snapped when I took them off the towel .. roots where growing into it.

I fear that if I try to repot now, I will cause more damage then I will solve ..
They are still growing .. but verry slow .. no peat pots for me anymore if growth picks up along the line :/

If that is your gut then don't do it. I agree - it is risky to de-peatpot at this stage. IMHO it is at any stage.

Peat pots aren't the problem. Check my journal below - been growing clones in peat pots with similar lights as your setup with much success.

It does take some time.

I have found different strains take different times to mature - and it is pretty apparent in seedling form.

Patience grasshopper. :)

With almost nothing to see, I skipped pictures for a bit ... otherwise this would be as interesting as watching paint dry ..

Here are the girls at day 21, noon for them:

20140830_023347.jpg

20140830_023407.jpg

20140830_023417.jpg

20140830_023436.jpg

20140830_023446.jpg

20140830_023429.jpg

Back
Top Bottom