2nd Grow - CFL's - Exodus Cheese - LST/SCROG - Advice Always Welcome!

Clones day 4

I drained the tray, put a bottom of fresh water in it again (just enough to fill the grooves in it, the peatpots are not in water anymore), removed the peatpots I did not use, spaced the clones evenly, sprayed and took a picture.

20141026_102748.jpg

Day 46 pictures of the ladies, including mom.

Mom is showing progressing deficiency's ... Ph is 6.5 or around there. I think I will repot to different soil, probably cut a piece off the rootball and loose as much of the old soil as I can, to make sure the medium is not a part of the issue.

20141026_191636.jpg
20141026_191656.jpg
20141026_191755.jpg
20141026_191804.jpg
20141026_191900.jpg

It probably wouldn't hurt to go bigger with mama.... just curious.. what would lead you to think that your soil might be a problem? I see a few little spots of yellowing on 3 or 4 leaves... but other than that, the plant looks pretty good to me?? :peace:

My reason for suspecting a soil issue is the fact that the magnesium issue seems to worsen. Ph is now 6.5 according to my meter and the soil has nutrients in them. She got extra magnesium both in the regular watering and as foliar spray, I used epsom salt. This sortof rules out an issue wirh nutrients in the soil.

I dunno what else it could be and I want to rule stuff out from the root up ... litterally ;)

If I trim the roots, remove as much old soil as possible and repot to the same soil the other girls are in, I know for sure the oroblem is not there anymore. I can then work my way to exact measurements if I have to, but would have to buy equipment, and I rather avoid that.

I could have overwatered, then took cuttings, this could deprive the roots of oxigen and cause other issues too .. trimming and repotting would solve this issue too.

My reason for suspecting a soil issue is the fact that the magnesium issue seems to worsen. Ph is now 6.5 according to my meter and the soil has nutrients in them. She got extra magnesium both in the regular watering and as foliar spray, I used epsom salt. This sortof rules out an issue wirh nutrients in the soil.

I dunno what else it could be and I want to rule stuff out from the root up ... litterally ;)

If I trim the roots, remove as much old soil as possible and repot to the same soil the other girls are in, I know for sure the oroblem is not there anymore. I can then work my way to exact measurements if I have to, but would have to buy equipment, and I rather avoid that.

OK then. You just blew right on past my level of knowledge! lol When you start talking about magnesium and Epsom salt... I'm out. :) One thing though.... I thought salt was the enemy? Epsom salt is still salt right?? Keep in mind.. I'm not in any way trying to criticize.. I'm just asking because I have NO IDEA! I put water and food in my plants twice a week and keep lots of light on them. I do keep the Ph where it belongs but other than that... it's kinda up to the plant over here! :) :peace:

Well .. I just read it here too: Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver: Pictorial

Epsom salt is not real salt .. it is magnesium sulfate and supposed to be a quick acting remedy for a magnesium shortage. Tho in my case, the issue seems to be either Ph or too much water in the soil .. so any adding of nutrients is just wasting them and causing buildup in the soil.

Since I already added magnesium and regular fertilizer (liquid general purpose fertilizer) and cut off most of the plant, there is no way in whatever bad place you believe in that there are not enough nutrients in the soil ... so I'm a little confused on how to proceed.

Because I know I can safely trim the roots and repot, with only a little delay in her growth (which is not important, her being a mom) and I know the other soil I have is good (see other plants, they are thriving), to me this sounds like the best first step .. at least I know that the issue can not be the soil, water in it, or the roots not having enough room. It's kind of an attempt to reset the growing conditions to neutral.

Well .. I just read it here too: Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver: Pictorial

Epsom salt is not real salt .. it is magnesium sulfate and supposed to be a quick acting remedy for a magnesium shortage. Tho in my case, the issue seems to be either Ph or too much water in the soil .. so any adding of nutrients is just wasting them and causing buildup in the soil.

Since I already added magnesium and regular fertilizer (liquid general purpose fertilizer) and cut off most of the plant, there is no way in whatever bad place you believe in that there are not enough nutrients in the soil ... so I'm a little confused on how to proceed.

Because I know I can safely trim the roots and repot, with only a little delay in her growth (which is not important, her being a mom) and I know the other soil I have is good (see other plants, they are thriving), to me this sounds like the best first step .. at least I know that the issue can not be the soil, water in it, or the roots not having enough room. It's kind of an attempt to reset the growing conditions to neutral.

I was not aware of the Epsom salt being mag. sulfate! I only know a little Ph and over watering...for Ph there are several things that can adjust up or down... like lime, vinegar, and I'm sure there are other readily available that would work. For too much water... have you tried putting in like 2 tsp. per gallon of 3% h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide)? That's the only thing I know of that gets more oxygen to the roots if they're swamped. Your solution does make sense to me though. :peace:

I havent tried hydrogen peroxide yet .. it sounds a little scary to me to use on plants .. but I might just try it .. if I kill mum, I have a few clones :p
It looks like I might loose one clone .. I'll know in a bit, when I can go and check .. I'll also update with some pictures then.

Clones day 6, mum renovation.

As you can see, I might be loosing one clone .. anybody any clue what we are looking at in the second picture ?
Mum was drowning due to roots being only at the side of the pot, and too much water in the soil. I might have trimmed too much ..

Clones
20141028_095834.jpg

20141028_095842.jpg

Mum renovation; first two pictures clearly show progressing issue with nutrient availability
20141028_100244.jpg

20141028_100252.jpg

See that brown ? ... /me thinks he was just in time.
20141028_100548.jpg

20141028_100613.jpg

Now cut off those roots .. I might have went overboard ... but I think she should recover if I just mist her enough. The drainage issue was mostly at the bottom and sides of the pot .. the soil from the centre read 'normal' on the moisture meter.
20141028_100801.jpg

20141028_100927.jpg

20141028_101011.jpg

Repot into fresh soil, and water a little in order to settle mum in her new place, then sprayed the living daylight outa her.
20141028_101454.jpg

20141028_101653.jpg

Now it's time to sit back and wait ... and hope she'll recover. Thanks for watching, as always!

Mum still looks much the same as above, except that it seems (at first quick glance) that the light green is recovering to darker green. The 'rust' spots will probably remain .. but they are on fan-leafs, and that's what those are for ... absorb damage before it hurts the vital parts of the plants.

The clones are also looking much the same .. definitely not worse. This made me decide to open the ventilation slides on top. I started with both half open for a few hours. They did not respond at all to that .. so now they are fully open. I will try that for the next few hours, and if I get the same result, I will leave the cover off for a while. This will be with me keeping an eye on them, and spraying and replacing the cover as soon as I see any sign of drooping.

So far, I'm amazed at how easy creating a mum and taking care of clones is ... I encourage everybody who has so far stayed clear because of the supposed difficulty to give it a try with what you have laying around .. I was going to just stick them in a pot with dirt, and cover it with a transparent plastic bag ... but then I remembered we have this thing ;)

Also, skip all the so called essential stuff on your first try .. just powder .. and I used honey to prevent diseases .. it has great antiseptic properties. Nothing else was used, except regular spraying, 4 to 7 times a day. The clones have been in a 'bath' of water for the first 4 days .. there was a good centimetre of the peatpots submerged in water. This caused the honey to start fermenting .. I left that to happen till the point where I drained the water, on day 5. From that point on, there was only water in the grooves of the tray .. the pots are not standing in a layer of water anymore.

Pictures later today.

PS. I'm going to switch reporting days to how many days of flowering have passed. Currently we are at day 6 of flowering.

Flowering day 6, clones day 7

First of all the clones. The ventilation slides have been open for a couple of hours without any noticable effect on the clones.

Here is how they looked after almost 7 hours with slides open ... I left the top off while doing the other plants.
20141030_004610.jpg

I'm not sure what this ones issue is ... I hope she pulls thru :
20141030_004653.jpg

Here they are again, half an hour later. I am carefully optimistic about their future as healthy plants ...
20141030_012050.jpg

Then, mum ... she looks like she was secretly swapped .. if not for the 'rust' marks that identify her. I can describe it, but pictures say more:

Before:
20141028_100244.jpg

After:
20141030_004740.jpg

Don't these signify transformation ? :p I gently helped her out .. but had to take this picture first :)
20141030_004748.jpg

20141030_004757.jpg

20141030_005114.jpg

FINALLY ... the girls in flower ... day 6.

Before:
20141030_005254.jpg

After:
20141030_010305.jpg

20141030_011523.jpg

I gave them about 1,5 - 2 liters of water and a good spraying .. I will check soil conditions tomorrow with my meter, and decide if I will water more or leave it like this for a few days.

I'm pretty excited about how things look!

Thanks for watching!:Namaste::thanks::Namaste:

Clones update.

I had a suspicion that they where not all doing to well ... stems seemed week on two of them. If the soil dries fast enough, the rest might make it .. I'll keep y'all posted.

20141030_122910.jpg

I'm quite sure my medium was to wet .. no more layers of water next time.

The soil the clones where in was way too wet .. this is what killed one, put one on intensive care, and makes me almost want to be religious so I could pray for the rest of them. They are standing on dry cups of soil, so the moisture has a place to go, assisted by gravity and more heat because they are closer to the lamp this way.

Tonight I'll be lollypopping the girls in flower, try to clone a few cuttings for the heck of it, cut off fanleafs that are blocking light and cant be tucked and remove an extra hour of light on the end of their day.

Clones are still looking much the same, still hoping at least a few of them survive. Mom is looking absolutely great.

Flowering day 9

Lollypopping the girls ... taking a brake .. as itś taking quite a while .. here are some pictures in the mean time:

Before:
20141101_204239.jpg

20141101_204303.jpg

After:
20141101_215206.jpg

20141101_215158.jpg

Flowering day 10

Lazy me completed lollypopping the last two girls today. I took a lot of fan leafs off as well ... given the excellent light penetration offered by my CFL's ... :laughtwo:
I think I also did my final weaving in the SCROG ... I hope she will not pick up too much hight ... I dont have much .. if needed I will migrate to a tent.

They got about 8 liters of water devided over the 4 of them and a good spraydown with just water. And after I took these pictures, I added clay pebles to keep the soil from washing off the roots.

Pictures:

20141103_214903.jpg

20141103_214910.jpg

20141104_011131.jpg

20141104_011140.jpg

20141104_011215.jpg

20141104_011232.jpg

Clones update: they is all dead. I had way to wet soil .. attempting to clone from my flowering girls with 11 clones atm ... nu clue where I will leave them if they all make it. Another clone will be added to that, from my non-flowering mum, giving me a total of 12 clones.

Pictures from both mum and clones tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom