3 cotyledons?

Rocket Turtle

i have new seedling, L*D variety, fem'd...that has 3 cotyledons(sucker leaves). I have never seen this before....has anyone else? Looks like next growth is going to have 3 leaves too. Is this magical like 4-leaf clover? Will try to get pic up in a few.

Re: 3 cotyledons ???

I have found some info, looks to be a good thing. Have only found half answers so far. Appears it means it is heavy with female chromosomes(knew it was fem seed). Saw post on another site said it yields 30% more than normal. I would love any information..especially if it will clone this trait? Have grown small personal off and on for awhile never seen this.

3498.JPG

So here is the pic, i am finding conflicting info now. hope someone can set me straight.

Seedlings with 3 cotyledons may be due to genetic mutations within the plant. Honestly if it happened to me I would be super excited and would relish the opportunity. Mutations can be really fun to watch as they can develop into better plants than the parent plants!

Heck Yeah!!!!!!!! You just never know...maybe better growth rate, denser plants, heavier bud...the possibilities are endless! So awesome!

3498.JPG

So here is the pic, i am finding conflicting info now. hope someone can set me straight.
A cannabis plant with three cotyledons is an unusual occurrence, as most cannabis plants usually have two cotyledons or "seed leaves." However, there are a few possible reasons for this phenomenon:

Genetic variation: Just like other plants, cannabis plants can have genetic variations that result in extra cotyledons. These variations can be due to random mutations or may be inherited from parent plants. Although rare, tricotyledonous cannabis plants are sometimes observed.

Environmental factors: External factors like temperature, humidity, and soil conditions can influence the growth and development of plants, including cannabis. It is possible that certain environmental factors have contributed to the development of an extra cotyledon in your cannabis plant.

Damage or stress: In some cases, a plant might develop extra cotyledons as a response to damage or stress. For example, if the plant's growing tip is damaged or if the seedling experienced stress during germination, it might produce more cotyledons to compensate.

Having an extra cotyledon should not negatively impact the overall growth and development of your cannabis plant. The plant may even grow stronger due to its unusual genetic makeup. Continue to provide it with proper care, including sufficient water, light, and nutrients. Keep an eye on the plant to ensure it develops normally, and if you notice any issues, address them accordingly.

20230415_151444.jpg

20230415_151434.jpg

20230415_151403.jpg

20230415_151348.jpg

I have a tutankhamon mother that I kept just for this very reason. They usually do yield higher than their double site per node counterpart and are really fun to top and train. Plants are awesome.

Spotted this on another forum about a year or two ago.
Considering it's a trait that is visible so early on it can be selectively bred for rather easily.
I don't think it's the same as whorled phyllotaxy - and the tri trait is quickly grown out of.
Regardless, it's still cool to see some oddities.

"The tri thing was traced back to the Oregon purple Thai."

picture.jpg

Back
Top Bottom