420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Beez0404

Girl Scout Cookie update for today 6/6/21
Plants are at day 56 post sprout

Their color is looking nice and they may have grown a bit since yesterday.
I think that as the pH comes down in the medium the plants will start to get all the nutrients they need and will start to grow more vigorously. I continue to bend down the branches to allow as much light as possible to penetrate into the canopy. I'm not going to be able to keep these in veg for very much longer once they do start to grow. It's not a big tent and they'll fill it up quickly.

I keep mentioning the temperatures with the @Mars Hydro FC-4800 light and that's because it continues to amaze me. This light is in my 3' x 3' tent and fills it completely side to side, front to back. I DO NOT have an exhaust fan running in the tent to extract heat. It simply is not needed with the light set at 75% of full power. Not saying it won't need a fan when it's turned up to full power but right now it is very nearly cool to the touch. Keep in mind that the driver is outside the tent BUT take a look at this picture. I'm not touching the driver and pulling my hand away. I can lay my hand on the driver and keep it there. It's warm but its not hot. This is without a doubt the best light I own.

They look like they are starting to grow better - I have never tested my FFHF soil pre use or during. Good to know how to do that now from reading your journal. I’m at Day 48 from start of seed soak and estimated day 38 Veg. 3 of my 4 comparative grow girls are so tall that I have started to bend the tops under a trellis to let the shorter bushier plant catch up. In 4 days I plant to flip. Good luck - they look healthy from your top pics.

I hate to keep bugging you Matthew @Prescription Blend but it is now obvious that when making my homemade promix for the GSC girls I added the amount of lime needed for 30 gallons when I actually only mixed up 20 gallons so the pH of my medium is quite high. Anything you recommend using your products?
There is not to much that you can do to adjust the media pH once things are planted (other then what was mentioned about urea/ammoniacal N), I have never used sulfur to attempt this so I can't offer much help with that other then just repeating what the internet says about it..

Your slurry test showed pH6.94 for the media they are planted in. So, when you feed the nutrient pH will move toward 6.94 over time as it's in contact. The nutrient solution has some buffering capacity but overall the media is the dominant factor in root zone pH. I found this article on maintaining media pH that has some good info, How to Maintain the Proper pH of a Growing Medium | PRO-MIX Greenhouse Growing

If your not going to change your N source, the only nutrient adjustment that could really be made is to lower the pH of your feed to the bottom of the range your comfortable with in this media mix. ***This will NOT change the media pH! The feed solution pH will start low and rise over time after is added to the plants and the availability of the different nutrients will change with the pH, hopefully giving the plants time to absorb what they need.

If you want to stay on the same nutrient to the end and let it play out my recommendation is to adjust the pH down a few points for the feed knowing it's going to rise in the pots. Also, you can add some calmg if you see they need it.

@Prescription Blend do you think this will be less of an issue in flower?

As I understand it, soil ph of around 6.4 in veg is ideal and in flower it rises a bit to 6.6. Apart from that, veg runs slightly more dry, so would it be less influenced by the nutrient solution? Flower runs more moist, so does the nutrient solution influence the ph more?

Girl Scout Cookie update for Day 57 post sprout

I happened to notice a couple nights ago that a couple of the GSC girls were droopy after the lights went out. They were fine right up to when the light went out and then drooped. Do they need a less intense light? Or a shorter amount of time under the light each day?

Oh, I also have a big tote of once used homemade Pro Mix and decided to test the pH of that medium. I did a slurry for about 90 minutes and had a reading of 6.9So as I need it I guess I'll take some out add peat to it and keep checking the pH till it's in that 5.8 range.

There can be a correlation between crazy and hot and if she set your hood on fire, I get it.......

Anyway, plants are looking good! Unless I read it wrong I think the plant was just sleeping. I had one that would do it after a certain number of hours (not gsc) but most do it after lights out. There is a cool video that shows plants perking up like 5 minutes before lights on. I actually have mine under 24/7 still and they don't seem to mind.

Girl Scout Cookies day 58 post sprout

Because it may help someone else I want to share a photo to I personally find troublesome. I took this after my GSC girls were in lights out for about an hour or so. This my be the worst they've drooped since I started noticing it a week or so ago. I am told it has to do with the amount of light the plants are receiving in the course of their 18 hour period of lights on. It seems pretty dramatic to me. Below this photo is two pics I took just minutes ago showing how they look right now.

Two pics of the same four plants above taken a few minutes ago.

What do ya'll think?

I remember at start of year I had an auto blueberry that didn't even wait till lights out to droop ,,every night at 7pm it was touching it's feet :rofl:
Other than sleeping on the job she turned out no worse for wear
Hope yours turn out OK,,

Thanks @Freak Brothers this grow has been one thing after another since pretty much day one. And I have to admit most of it has been my own fault. To the point that if I had four more of the GSC seeds I would probably want to do a Do-Over grow to redeem myself.

Thanks @Freak Brothers this grow has been one thing after another since pretty much day one. And I have to admit most of it has been my own fault. To the point that if I had four more of the GSC seeds I would probably want to do a Do-Over grow to redeem myself.
not long had the same thing myself, (although autos)mine dropped an hour before lights out every night, but would be preying when I got up in the morning. was told the same at the time.. that they where tired after 20hrs of working there behinds off;) no clue if it’s true or not. Coming to the end of their time now and they’re doin ok;)
Doin a great job by the way:)

@Prescription Blend do you think this will be less of an issue in flower?

As I understand it, soil ph of around 6.4 in veg is ideal and in flower it rises a bit to 6.6. Apart from that, veg runs slightly more dry, so would it be less influenced by the nutrient solution? Flower runs more moist, so does the nutrient solution influence the ph more?
@ChefDGreen While this seems like a simple question it really is a complex situation that does not have an easy answer. We'll have to see.

Well it's time! The Girl Scout Cookies are enjoying their last day of vegging today. When they wake up tomorrow they will be under their new 12/12 lighting schedule. I could waste another couple weeks trying to maybe get the medium pH a little lower. But even with their high pH the girls continue to grow thanks to the strong genetics bred by @Weed Seeds Express . These poor plants have had a hard life and for goodness sake look at them, they don't look too awful bad. It's also a testament to @Prescription Blend for providing me with a nutrient line that has not only kept these girls alive but has actually kept them looking pretty darn nice considering. And keeping everything lit up so beautifully is my @Mars Hydro FC-4800 light. It's cool to the touch while it's 480 watts lights up the tent from corner to corner.

It is time for the last 9-10 weeks of life for these four girls to begin. I am confident that with the quality genetics of the GSC seeds, the quality of the Prescription Blend Nutrients, and the incredibly well made and perfectly balanced light from Mars Hydro the girls won't just limp to the end they will make us all proud. So onward we go!

Here is their last photo in vegging.

Back
Top Bottom