420's Soil Ppm Charlie Grow Journal, 9/2021

News from the flowering tent - four Northern Lights and four Fruity Pebbles (see pictures on my last picture-post two-days ago). Today is the 18th day since beginning the flowering cycle in my 4 X 8 X 7.8-foot tent. As you remember, I am experimenting to increase yield via a proven leaf denuding technique. The technique calls for denuding all 420 leaves from stalk and stem (that can be easily removed) on day-1 and again on day-18 of the flowering cycle. On day-1 of flowering I denuded all easily removed leaves. Today, I will repeat the process. It will be a work day. Temperatures in the flowering tent have recently been in the low 80's F and RH 40% to 50%. I continue using General Hydroponics Flora series Pro in the flowering tent with some periodic additions of Recharge-brand microbial stimulant, compost tea, liquid kelp, Ocean Magic micro-nutrients and liquid yucca wetting agent. I began adding Signal terpene enhancer on the last watering/nute two-days ago.

News from the vegetative tent - six Candy Kush, one "runt" Northern Lights, four Northern-Lights/skunk cross, four Fruity Pebbles/OG cross. Yesterday, I transplanted my vegetative phase 420 plants from pint plastic pots to 1-gal plastic pots. The one runt Northern Lights remains in it's 1-gal pot. At this vegetative transplant stage, I made a nutrient change from General Hydroponics Flora series to GeoFlora organic fertilizer. I will continue using GeoFlora veg and bloom fertilizers for this group of 420 thorughout the vegetative and flowering phases. To transplant, I mixed new soilless composed of approximately 65% peat and 35% perlite and added Mycorrhizal inoculate, 8-tbsp dolomite per cubic foot mix and GeoFlora veg organic fertilizer. Afterward, I watered with pH 6.0 adjusted spring water and also added Recharge brand microbial stimulant and liquid yucca. Temperature in the 2 X 4 X 5-foot veg tent have recently been in the low to mid 80's F, RH 55% to 65%.

News from the clone/seedling tent - several Northern Lights and several Fruity Pebbles clones. Eighteen days ago I took cuttings for clone from the Northern Lights and Fruity Pebbles contained in the flowering tent. The timing coincided with the first day of the flower cycle. As you remember, I was delayed in assembling my new 2 X 4 X 5-foot clone/seedling tent because I was missing a corner assembly part. That situation is now remedied and the tent is functioning nominally. I have mounted a 4-inch inline duct fan on the upper side wall and have a 6-inch diameter passive intake duct on the opposite lower side wall of the clone/seedling tent. I also added a small oscillating fan and a humidifier with humidifier controller. I have ordered a 4-inch carbon filter, it has not arrived yet. All clones seem to be doing well, except for two or three with slight "claw" leaf posture indicating possible initial "over-nuting". I have been feeding the clones weakly with Clonex-brand clone-nute. Visual inspection indicates roots appearing in the bottom holes of the small "cup-sized" plastic clone pots. The clones will be transplanted this week into larger pint-sized plastic pots using the previously prepared "veg" GeoFlora fertilizer soilless mix described in the veg-tent section. Temperature in the clone/seedling tent is recently 80-deg F and RH 60% to 70%.

That is all for now. I need to get busy denuding. Thanks for coming by - more pics soon. ppm Charlie

@Krissi1982 , @Bill284 , @West Hippie , @Paul Squiggle , @420 Ceasar

News from the flowering tent - four Northern Lights and four Fruity Pebbles (see pictures on my last picture-post two-days ago). Today is the 18th day since beginning the flowering cycle in my 4 X 8 X 7.8-foot tent. As you remember, I am experimenting to increase yield via a proven leaf denuding technique. The technique calls for denuding all 420 leaves from stalk and stem (that can be easily removed) on day-1 and again on day-18 of the flowering cycle. On day-1 of flowering I denuded all easily removed leaves. Today, I will repeat the process. It will be a work day. Temperatures in the flowering tent have recently been in the low 80's F and RH 40% to 50%. I continue using General Hydroponics Flora series Pro in the flowering tent with some periodic additions of Recharge-brand microbial stimulant, compost tea, liquid kelp, Ocean Magic micro-nutrients and liquid yucca wetting agent. I began adding Signal terpene enhancer on the last watering/nute two-days ago.

News from the vegetative tent - six Candy Kush, one "runt" Northern Lights, four Northern-Lights/skunk cross, four Fruity Pebbles/OG cross. Yesterday, I transplanted my vegetative phase 420 plants from pint plastic pots to 1-gal plastic pots. The one runt Northern Lights remains in it's 1-gal pot. At this vegetative transplant stage, I made a nutrient change from General Hydroponics Flora series to GeoFlora organic fertilizer. I will continue using GeoFlora veg and bloom fertilizers for this group of 420 thorughout the vegetative and flowering phases. To transplant, I mixed new soilless composed of approximately 65% peat and 35% perlite and added Mycorrhizal inoculate, 8-tbsp dolomite per cubic foot mix and GeoFlora veg organic fertilizer. Afterward, I watered with pH 6.0 adjusted spring water and also added Recharge brand microbial stimulant and liquid yucca. Temperature in the 2 X 4 X 5-foot veg tent have recently been in the low to mid 80's F, RH 55% to 65%.

News from the clone/seedling tent - several Northern Lights and several Fruity Pebbles clones. Eighteen days ago I took cuttings for clone from the Northern Lights and Fruity Pebbles contained in the flowering tent. The timing coincided with the first day of the flower cycle. As you remember, I was delayed in assembling my new 2 X 4 X 5-foot clone/seedling tent because I was missing a corner assembly part. That situation is now remedied and the tent is functioning nominally. I have mounted a 4-inch inline duct fan on the upper side wall and have a 6-inch diameter passive intake duct on the opposite lower side wall of the clone/seedling tent. I also added a small oscillating fan and a humidifier with humidifier controller. I have ordered a 4-inch carbon filter, it has not arrived yet. All clones seem to be doing well, except for two or three with slight "claw" leaf posture indicating possible initial "over-nuting". I have been feeding the clones weakly with Clonex-brand clone-nute. Visual inspection indicates roots appearing in the bottom holes of the small "cup-sized" plastic clone pots. The clones will be transplanted this week into larger pint-sized plastic pots using the previously prepared "veg" GeoFlora fertilizer soilless mix described in the veg-tent section. Temperature in the clone/seedling tent is recently 80-deg F and RH 60% to 70%.

That is all for now. I need to get busy denuding. Thanks for coming by - more pics soon. ppm Charlie

@Krissi1982 , @Bill284 , @West Hippie , @Paul Squiggle , @420 Ceasar
Send pics of the denuding for us, please. It is much easier to read than formulate a picture in my head. Good luck with today's activities C, check back when you're done!

THE NAKED TRUTH...

Today is day-18 of flowering. I denuded the flowering tent 420, as planned. One feminized Northern Lights (NL) 420 went hermie on me overnight, had to be euthanized and placed in a tightly tied garbage bag for disposal (head slap!). I was quite shocked by the NL hermie as it seemed to turn sexually ambiguous very quickly. Yesterday, all seemed good. Today, hello hermie. Not just a little hermie - full blown male pods and female flowers on every branch.

I do note here that that particular hermie NL plant had a "stringy-stalky" and more sativa-like morphology. It looked different than the other NL 420 plants. Until today, I thought I may have mixed up a Fruity Pebbles (FPOG) for an NL during transplanting prior to flowering. Apparently not.

The NL seeds were "feminized" and bad genetics could possible account for the adverse morph. I also broke a major side branch during transplanting and that may have stressed the NL to morph hermie. I also did make a nute application using a small amount of Signal - a terpene enhancer - two-days ago. That could be it. Last, I may have a light leak. I checked it - no - no light leak.

Who's know why the wild hermie grows? You got me!

I have had good luck with the "free" (alleged) FPOG seeds. None of them have shown male characteristics upon flower. I now have three femenized NL and four Fruity Pebbles (FPOG) in my flowering tent (cue: deep SIGH!).

On the positive side, I now have more room in the flowering tent space for added feminized Candy Kush 420 (CK). I have six CK now residing in the veg tent. Since I transplanted them into 1-gallon plastic pots yesterday, I will wait a week or two and then transfer all six Candy Kush plants to the flowering tent. I will flower them in their current 1-gal plastic pots. No sense in transplanting them again.

Meanwhile, back at the clone tent - three perfectly healthy clones - had to be tossed since those three originated from the much maligned NL "mother hermie" (head slap #2!). Well that's the way it goes...it is ALWAYS a somethin.

Below are pictures for your visual entertainment.

0.png

Flowering tent 420 day-16 of flowering (2-days before before denuding).

2.png

THE NAKED TRUTH...Flowering tent 420 day-18 of flowering (after denuding).

3.png

FPOG denuded - day-18 of flowering.

4.png

NL denuded - day-18 of flowering.

5.png

Euthanized NL "hermie".

6.png

Candy Kush, et.al. - veg tent, one day after transplanting to 1-gal pots and switching to GeoFlora fertilizer
(please excuse the poor lighting).

7.png

NL and FPOG clones - clone/seedling tent. 18 days since cloned (minus three hermie brother/sisters).

That's all folks. Thanks for coming by.

@Krissi1982 , @Bill284 , @420 Ceasar , @West Hippie , @Paul Squiggle

THE NAKED TRUTH...

Today is day-18 of flowering. I denuded the flowering tent 420, as planned. One feminized Northern Lights (NL) 420 went hermie on me overnight, had to be euthanized and placed in a tightly tied garbage bag for disposal (head slap!). I was quite shocked by the NL hermie as it seemed to turn sexually ambiguous very quickly. Yesterday, all seemed good. Today, hello hermie. Not just a little hermie - full blown male pods and female flowers on every branch.

I do note here that that particular hermie NL plant had a "stringy-stalky" and more sativa-like morphology. It looked different than the other NL 420 plants. Until today, I thought I may have mixed up a Fruity Pebbles (FPOG) for an NL during transplanting prior to flowering. Apparently not.

The NL seeds were "feminized" and bad genetics could possible account for the adverse morph. I also broke a major side branch during transplanting and that may have stressed the NL to morph hermie. I also did make a nute application using a small amount of Signal - a terpene enhancer - two-days ago. That could be it. Last, I may have a light leak. I checked it - no - no light leak.

Who's know why the wild hermie grows? You got me!

I have had good luck with the "free" (alleged) FPOG seeds. None of them have shown male characteristics upon flower. I now have three femenized NL and four Fruity Pebbles (FPOG) in my flowering tent (cue: deep SIGH!).

On the positive side, I now have more room in the flowering tent space for added feminized Candy Kush 420 (CK). I have six CK now residing in the veg tent. Since I transplanted them into 1-gallon plastic pots yesterday, I will wait a week or two and then transfer all six Candy Kush plants to the flowering tent. I will flower them in their current 1-gal plastic pots. No sense in transplanting them again.

Meanwhile, back at the clone tent - three perfectly healthy clones - had to be tossed since those three originated from the much maligned NL "mother hermie" (head slap #2!). Well that's the way it goes...it is ALWAYS a somethin.

Below are pictures for your visual entertainment.

0.png

Flowering tent 420 day-16 of flowering (2-days before before denuding).

2.png

THE NAKED TRUTH...Flowering tent 420 day-18 of flowering (after denuding).

3.png

FPOG denuded - day-18 of flowering.

4.png

NL denuded - day-18 of flowering.

5.png

Euthanized NL "hermie".

6.png

Candy Kush, et.al. - veg tent, one day after transplanting to 1-gal pots and switching to GeoFlora fertilizer
(please excuse the poor lighting).

7.png

NL and FPOG clones - clone/seedling tent. 18 days since cloned (minus three hermie brother/sisters).

That's all folks. Thanks for coming by.

@Krissi1982 , @Bill284 , @420 Ceasar , @West Hippie , @Paul Squiggle
Interesting concept I am not familiar with it but that is what the community is for so I will be watching and learning alongside you with some questions here and there if that's OK.....always trying to get more quality medicine :bravo:
P.s the girls all look super healthy and seem to be flourishing under your care

Send pics of the denuding for us, please. It is much easier to read than formulate a picture in my head. Good luck with today's activities C, check back when you're done!
As you requested...before and after denuding pics have been posted.
@Krissi1982

As you requested...before and after denuding pics have been posted.
@Krissi1982
Thank you Charlie!!! So denuding is only done at this time, am I correct? I assume it's main goal is for extra light penetration amongst everything else you noted prior?? They seem happy...not stressed at all from it

Thank you Charlie!!! So denuding is only done at this time, am I correct? I assume it's main goal is for extra light penetration amongst everything else you noted prior?? They seem happy...not stressed at all from it
Yes. For the denuding technique you denude twice. Once at Day-1 of flower and once at Day-18 of flower. That's it. The leaves grow back each time quickly within 3 to 4 days just smaller each time. The object of the denuding is thorough light penetration below the canopy and high stress (like a summer hail storm which strips all leaves off).

They may look a little sad in the "after" denuding pics, however, there was all that handling, clipping and stressing. They were a little dry too at Day-18 denuding. I watered/nuted yesterday. They are back to their happy selves today and quickly putting on leaves again.

We will see what happens.

Today I am re-potting my remaining clones, adding a carbon filter and rope hangers to the clone/seedling tent. Enough with the light chains I made do with when I set up the tent. I have ordered two more low power veg lights for the clone/seedling tent. I hope they show up soon. X-mas postal rush and all.

Come by any time. Bring food next time...LOL!

@Krissi1982

You're a sight to watch here. I love how many things you implement and how much effort and time you spend on your girls and finding the best things for them.

I'm making Salmon with butternut squash ravioli and a sage butter sauce tomorrow....I'll bring some by for you :):morenutes:

You're a sight to watch here. I love how many things you implement and how much effort and time you spend on your girls and finding the best things for them.

I'm making Salmon with butternut squash ravioli and a sage butter sauce tomorrow....I'll bring some by for you :):morenutes:
I just had salmon last night with rice. I mixed a sauteed onion/green-pepper/mushroom mix into the cooked white rice...it is good like that. Green peppers came from my summer garden - courtesy of the freezer. Makes my mouth water to think...yummy!

@Krissi1982

I just had salmon last night with rice. I mixed a sauteed onion/green-pepper/mushroom mix into the cooked white rice...it is good like that. Green peppers came from my summer garden - courtesy of the freezer. Makes my mouth water to think...yummy!

@Krissi1982
Mmmmm!!! I'm almost out of my veggies. I used my frozen roasted tomatoes on the peppers last night. Salmon is one of my favorites!!

Interesting concept I am not familiar with it but that is what the community is for so I will be watching and learning alongside you with some questions here and there if that's OK.....always trying to get more quality medicine :bravo:
P.s the girls all look super healthy and seem to be flourishing under your care
Here's some information on leaf defoliation techniques. I defoliate very little in veg. Just enough to remove lower yellowing shade leaves or some upper green shade leaves to expose the areas where I performed Low Stress Training (LST) that need additional direct light. I also defoliate during veg by femming and topping.

Currently, I am experimenting with cannabis leaf defoliation in a major way during the flowering stage. I am performing major leaf defoliation at Day-1 of flower and again at Day-18 of flower.

There are a lot of info sources online regarding cannabis leaf defoliation techniques and speculation of why increased yields result from leaf defoliation. An interesting video can be found by searching "*lackDo*LED cannabis leaf denuding video" (just Google search by inserting the proper letters to the above * abbreviation - hint: "dark-colored canine"LED). The video shows their flowering stage leaf denuding technique (sorry for the abbreviation - owners/admins of the 420 website and LED light sponsors here do not like references appearing that point to a non-sponsor LED light vendor reference).

Here's some additional info also:

@Krissi1982 , @West Hippie , @420 Ceasar , @Paul Squiggle , @Bill284

Here's some information on leaf defoliation techniques. I defoliate very little in veg. Just enough to remove lower yellowing shade leaves or some upper green shade leaves to expose the areas where I performed Low Stress Training (LST) that need additional direct light. I also defoliate during veg by femming and topping.

Currently, I am experimenting with cannabis leaf defoliation in a major way during the flowering stage. I am performing major leaf defoliation at Day-1 of flower and again at Day-18 of flower.

There are a lot of info sources online regarding cannabis leaf defoliation techniques and speculation of why increased yields result from leaf defoliation. An interesting video can be found by searching "*lackDo*LED cannabis leaf denuding video" (just Google search by inserting the proper letters to the above * abbreviation - hint: "dark-colored canine"LED). The video shows their flowering stage leaf denuding technique (sorry for the abbreviation - owners/admins of the 420 website and LED light sponsors here do not like references appearing that point to a non-sponsor LED light vendor reference).

@Krissi1982 , @West Hippie , @420 Ceasar , @Paul Squiggle , @Bill284
Thanks for the reading material I will be jumping into this one later super appreciated :thanks::Namaste:

Thank you!!!

There are a lot of info sources online regarding cannabis leaf defoliation techniques and speculation of why increased yields result from leaf defoliation. An interesting video can be found by searching "*lackDo*LED cannabis leaf denuding video" (just Google search by inserting the proper letters to the above * abbreviation - hint: "dark-colored canine"LED).

hahahaha
The video shows their flowering stage leaf denuding technique (sorry for the abbreviation - owners/admins of the 420 website and LED light sponsors here do not like references appearing that point to a non-sponsor LED light vendor reference).

:thanks::high-five:
You're the best, thanks Charlie!

Hey Charlie what a fun grow you have going on.
What can you say about NL? An iconic strain and crossed with so many strains. The FPOG, I’ve had fruity pebbles but never crossed with OG. The pebbles was very flavorful.

Im a huge fan of the Geoflora nutes and have always grown organically as much as possible and the Geoflora makes it so simple. Scratch in a top feeding and watering every 12 days with a very minimal runoff.
The only supplements I’ve needed is CalMag+ and Epson salts for some extra nitrogen. I’m all about simplicity and Geoflora has been getting it done for me and my plants.

Nice looking setup all around. :rollit:

Hey Charlie what a fun grow you have going on.
What can you say about NL? An iconic strain and crossed with so many strains. The FPOG, I’ve had fruity pebbles but never crossed with OG. The pebbles was very flavorful.

Im a huge fan of the Geoflora nutes and have always grown organically as much as possible and the Geoflora makes it so simple. Scratch in a top feeding and watering every 12 days with a very minimal runoff.
The only supplements I’ve needed is CalMag+ and Epson salts for some extra nitrogen. I’m all about simplicity and Geoflora has been getting it done for me and my plants.

Nice looking setup all around. :rollit:
You are most abundantly correct - the NL strain is iconic, versatile and highly satisfying. I chose the NL strain because I needed a "puff" that will lay me back "kindly" and set me on "mind-space cruise control". I believe the NL strain has this quality and I chose it in this first grow, after a 20-year grow hiatus, to recreate a part of my past and to set me on a path toward thoughtful relaxed "righteousness".

The FP or FPOG is a "free seed" addedum to the NL seed order I placed. The seed order I received included several free seeds marked "Fruity Pebbles" - with a hand-drawn "smiley face". I do not know if they are truly FPOG, FP or some variety phenotype. Some free seeds were also marked FP/skunk and FP/OG crosses. The ones in my flowering tent, previously pictured, were of the FP-"smiley" face variety. The FP/skunk and FP/OG crosses are now in my veg tent for further growth and development.

When I did my denuding, I did noticed a pleasantly perfumed aroma that was quite intoxicating and sweet. There are some distinct differences from one FP to another. One is more "stalky" and sativa-like and has not budded a well as the other three. It seems the leaf denuding technique is also working better on the NL than FP, however, the FP is a longer flowering time and may develop and add more buds more later. Time will tell.

I have only started GeoFlora fert recently in the seedling/clone tent and veg tent, however, I am sold on the ease of application and quality so far. I plan to continue using it and supplement as necessary. Quite good stuff, Geoflora brand products.
@GeoFlora Nutrients

Here are some pictures of the flowering tent from today. It is Day-21 of the flowering cycle and 3-days since the second full leaf denuding event. As you see, the leaf foliage is returning vigorously. Bud growth is robust.

4.png

Flowering - Day-21. Three days since full leaf denuding. Northern Lights and Fruity Pebbles.

2.png

Northern Lights.

3.png

Northern Lights.

5.png

Northern Lights.

6.png

Northern Lights.

8.png

Fruity Pebbles.

9.png

Fruity Pebbles.

9.9.png

Fruity Pebbles.

12.png

Northern Lights.

Thanks for coming by. Smoke a Fatty, ppm Charlie.

@Krissi1982 , @Bill284 , @Paul Squiggle , @West Hippie , @oldmanjj , @420 Ceasar , @Nev

Back
Top Bottom