4x4 Tent Grow: Grape Ape, Strawberry Cough and Snow Dog

Update: Day 14

The babies are continuing to get bigger and badder. So far I've been very happy with their rate of growth, especially after switching to the 600W. Most of them are just starting on their 4th node, so hopefully within the next two weeks I'll be able to sex them and put the ladies in the bigger pots and let them bulk up!

IMG_011510.JPG

IMG_01325.JPG

IMG_01336.jpg

IMG_01176.JPG

IMG_01286.JPG

IMG_01204.JPG

IMG_01187.JPG

You may not make 2 more weeks in those pots. They a looking great and growing like crazy. When mine were about that size in similar pots the became root bound like crazy. I ended up transplanting much sooner than planned.

How do you sex them before flowering?

wow dude, your grow is taking off! I'm very impressed with the rate your plants are growing at. Makes me excited to get my 600W MH on mine.

I see you're using the happy frog organic soil, did you mix anything additional in with the mix? I'm looking for some new soil and your growth rate is amazing.

You may not make 2 more weeks in those pots. They a looking great and growing like crazy. When mine were about that size in similar pots the became root bound like crazy. I ended up transplanting much sooner than planned.

How do you sex them before flowering?

I'm beginning to think they won't make another 2 weeks in those pots either. If that's the case, then I'm going to be damn tight on space if I try transplanting all of them into the bigger containers. I suppose I could have worse problems, haha.

As for sexing them, usually within a couple weeks of the plants reaching their fourth node they will start showing pre-flowers. They can sometimes be ambiguous/difficult to tell, but we'll see.

wow dude, your grow is taking off! I'm very impressed with the rate your plants are growing at. Makes me excited to get my 600W MH on mine.

I see you're using the happy frog organic soil, did you mix anything additional in with the mix? I'm looking for some new soil and your growth rate is amazing.

Yeah, I'm still surprised how quickly they're coming up. I am just using the happy frog soil straight up, with no additives. Suffice to say, I'd be more than willing to recommend this soil to others :)

nice dude, I will have to check that out. My hydro store has the happy frog and ocean forest for the same price, but the happy frog comes in a 2cu ft bag and the ocean forest only has 1.5 cu ft.

Update: Day 18

I transplanted 10 of the plants into their final pots two days ago, and will be transplanting the rest tonight before their bed time. The transplant went pretty smoothly, and the babies haven't skipped a beat. I was expecting them to wilt or show a little unhappiness after the move, but so far they've done nothing but perk up! I ended up scrapping one of the plants that is just continuing to have issues. I'm not sure why it was growing the way it was, but all the leaves were coming up shriveled and unhealthy looking. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Oh well, still 17 healthy ones left.

A few of them are just starting to show their pre flowers. The only one I can really somewhat tell the gender is the 3-leaved freak, which unfortunately looks like it will be a male. I am going to wait a little longer to be sure, but I still may keep it somewhere separate even if it is a male, and try messing with some breeding. But we'll see.

IMG_01387.JPG

IMG_01443.JPG

IMG_01425.jpg

IMG_01484.JPG

IMG_01405.JPG

IMG_01414.JPG

And here is a pic of the 3-leave mutant... that unfortunately is looking like a lil boy:

IMG_01467.JPG

And here is a pic of the plant I removed from the tent. I'm not sure why it was growing like this. I gave it the same amount of nutrients as the rest, and it wasn't getting overly hot or anything, so I can't figure it out. Anyone have any thoughts?

IMG_01505.JPG

I will post another update once I transplant the rest. Enjoy!

They are just over 3 gallons. I know I won't be able to grow them too too big in these pots, but it should be sufficient considering the size of the tent. I'll probably mess around with bending/training to get the most out of them.

Oh my, they're looking amazing! Wish I could say the same about mine right now, had a few complications with the new drip system and lights. They're bouncing back slowly it seems though. I made a better watering mechanism today that hopefully will (and looks like it is) get them back to their former beauty. They've been growing the whole time though, shoots are coming out of shoots now. I haven't take the clones yet because I've been so focused on trying to keep them healthy, but I will most likely take some tomorrow, I'm pretty confident they'll be looking better by then.

And if that tri leaf turns out to be male, definitely do not get rid of it! I'd really like to try my hand at breeding and I want those genetics. I'll take it if you're going to get rid of it, and I'd love a clone if you decide to keep it.

Update: Day 20

I finished transplanting the remaining plants into their bigger pots two days ago, and they are taking to their new homes quite well.

So far two of the plants have shown their gender- one male and one female. Unfortunately, it turns out the 3-leaved mutant that I had high hopes for is the male. I am really amazed at how quickly the male started showing pre-flowers, and how big those pre-flowers got in just two days. It literally jumped from one or two small possible pollen sacks to over a dozen large, definite pollen sacks. It really looks like what a male like 2 or 3 weeks into flowering would look like (just smaller). So, I had to remove the lil' guy from the tent. The last picture is of the pollen sacks.

(Note: these pics were taken just before watering and their bed time, which is why a few appear to be wilting. Come morning time, they all perk up and reach for the light!)

IMG_01516.JPG

IMG_01555.JPG

IMG_01532.JPG

IMG_01563.JPG

IMG_01584.JPG

Good catch on the male. They are looking good. When are you going 12/12? With that many plants in a 4x4 space I would do it very soon. I thought mine would be fine. Boy was I wrong. Even after cutting back from 16 plants to the current 10 I need more space. My guess is that overcrowding will cost me at least 25% of harvest weight. Keep up the great work!

Well, I was planning on going 12/12 in about another 3-4 weeks, or when they're close to 3 feet tall. Hopefully within the week I'll be able to determine the gender of almost all of them, so I can throw out the boys. So, I'm not going to be flowering all of these guys by any means, but I'm starting to think that even if I still get my projected 8 females, it's going to be very tight on space. I'll just have to see as they develop.

Back
Top Bottom