A Good Old Fashioned RedHotChiliPepper Grow Off

One more thing I forgot to mention: Be sure to remove all the seeds from the peppers before you dice them. Seeds are not very good in jelly, and they make the jelly too hot if that's a concern.

Thanks!!! Hope to make a batch next week.

Great stuff! Those peppers look fantastic!
And thanks for the recipe:)

Thanks for the info about the bees, that’s interesting the difference in pollinators. I have started growing more bee friendly flowers and no more chemicals. I use neem weekly for bug prevention;)

I hope I get some things to ripen on the vine next year!:D
35775C44-A95A-492E-BC54-E89720159570.jpeg

I moved the ghost peppers inside after a transplant. I’ll give them there own light

Also I harvested my chives and they were green? Why they yellow now?
EF49159D-7654-4297-BF29-2630FFDCC181.jpeg

All ripened in the box! Tastes good though:)
19EAA9B9-8EDE-4E0F-84A4-BE8E0D63A28F.jpeg

Great stuff! Those peppers look fantastic!
And thanks for the recipe:)

Thanks for the info about the bees, that’s interesting the difference in pollinators. I have started growing more bee friendly flowers and no more chemicals. I use neem weekly for bug prevention;)

I hope I get some things to ripen on the vine next year!:D
35775C44-A95A-492E-BC54-E89720159570.jpeg

I moved the ghost peppers inside after a transplant. I’ll give them there own light

Also I harvested my chives and they were green? Why they yellow now?
EF49159D-7654-4297-BF29-2630FFDCC181.jpeg

All ripened in the box! Tastes good though:)
19EAA9B9-8EDE-4E0F-84A4-BE8E0D63A28F.jpeg
Next week, I'm setting up my indoor ripening box for the remaining slicer tomatoes. Cherry toms are still ripening outside in the cold & wet, but not the big slicers.

Grow on!

Fortunately, the Calif sun will allow my tomatoes to continue to ripen on the vine until the end of October. Last year, I didn't pull my plants until Thanksgiving.

Today, I whipped up a batch of pepper jelly. This batch has habaneros, anahiems and poblanos.
Pepper Jelly 01a.jpgPepper Jelly 02a.jpg

My chives got gross so out they went! I should have froze them, thanks for the tip for next year.

I cleaned up my garden beds and put my compost on. I also wanted to overwinter some perennials I have in pots. Someone told me to bury the pots in the garden over winter so I did that. Do you think I should cut them all back or just leave the foliage? I have Thyme, sage, strawberries and mint :)

Thanks!!

Fortunately, the Calif sun will allow my tomatoes to continue to ripen on the vine until the end of October. Last year, I didn't pull my plants until Thanksgiving.

Today, I whipped up a batch of pepper jelly. This batch has habaneros, anahiems and poblanos.
Pepper Jelly 01a.jpgPepper Jelly 02a.jpg
love it.

The start of my initial pepper harvest for jelly tonite--peru yellow, shishitos, & thai red
Gonna harvest some poblano & jalepenos this pm. Gonna be fire jelly!

8 days into my Serrano pepper in Aerogarden7 LED

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_115804.jpg
    IMG_20180922_115804.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180922_142911.jpg
    IMG_20180922_142911.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20180923_132126.jpg
    IMG_20180923_132126.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 26
love it.

The start of my initial pepper harvest for jelly tonite--peru yellow, shishitos, & thai red
Gonna harvest some poblano & jalepenos this pm. Gonna be fire jelly!

Those are great looking peppers you have there! I've never had a peru yellow, but they look tasty. I love the colors on all those peppers. :thumb:

Those are great looking peppers you have there! I've never had a peru yellow, but they look tasty. I love the colors on all those peppers. :thumb:
Thanks! The PY's have been a major find for me the past coupla years. With our season & my ltd sun in my garden I just haven't been able to get much from habaneros, but the PYs are almost as hot & extremely productive...(& of course, the shishitos are not, but they taste good!)

Thx again for inspiration & recipe. FIRE jelly tonite!

Made it last night & it looks great.

I used 3 cups of very hot peppers rather than the 2 called for in the recipe. As the poet William Blake noted: "All wisdom lies in excess."

If that's true, I'm a very wise motherf*(&%r!

Gonna make more soon, with some tweaks, I've got about 200 peruvian yellows & about 100 red thai. (Some like it hot!)

Thanks, again.

Wow, that sounds spicy hot, but great! Have you sampled it yet?

Wow, that sounds spicy hot, but great! Have you sampled it yet?
only sorta, while I was jarring it. Quite nice. Very satisfied, especially since I've never made jelly, even though I've cooked and baked for about 40 yrs.

I think in the next batch, I'm going to cut the sugar a bit & maybe add a bit of fresh squeezed lime juice. But I always mess with recipes a lot after the initial try.

BTW, very helpful hint on rotating the jars to distribute the pepper shards.

I'm the same way - every batch I make, I make small adjustments. The original recipe I tried called for 6 1/2 cups of sugar which I felt was too sweet. So far, I've knocked it down to 6 cups. You just have to be careful that as you adjust sugar content, your pectin performance will change (too runny vs too thick). I like the lime juice idea :D

I'm the same way - every batch I make, I make small adjustments. The original recipe I tried called for 6 1/2 cups of sugar which I felt was too sweet. So far, I've knocked it down to 6 cups. You just have to be careful that as you adjust sugar content, your pectin performance will change (too runny vs too thick). I like the lime juice idea :D
Yep, the sugar/pectin consistency issue is one I'm just going to have to do some trial & error with. I used about 5.2 oz of pectin & I think 6oz woulda been way to solid, so thanks for the tip!

But I'm going to try to cut the sugar in the next batch by a third to 4 cups. Might be disastrous, but I just have an anti-sweet tooth: I eat so few sweet things (fruit's about it), that my palate really doesn't like sweet stuff.

Could be a disaster, but those are always instructional.

The jelly was pretty hot. But not hot enough for me. Had to evac. the family from the kitchen while I diced the 3 cups & my face was burning & I was pouring sweat while I did it (all of which I sorta enjoyed), but still not hot enough, so next batch will have 4 cups.

I'll report back if I survive! But again, thanks for the inspiration & starting point!

Back
Top Bottom