Aero Cloner Questions From Owners

HigherTheHigh

So iv just bought myself a 12 site aero cloner and i have a few questions.

Do i run it 24/7 or set it to a timer?

Other than House & Garden Roots Excelurator is there anything else i should use?

How long is it usually before start to finish to pot on?

Thanks guys and any other info would be greatly appreciated!

I run an aero setup but it doesnt use the traditional fountain pump. I know some set it on a timer but for me i run it all the time, i dont ph, and i use RO and something to keep the water clean, thats it. I've used a few drops of bleach with success but there are other products specifically to keep the hydroponic rez clean. Hygrozyme | Horticultural Enzyme Formula & Root Stimulator is one of our sponsors, a quick google search will give you a few more options. Roots usually 7-10 days up to 2 weeks. You definitely want something though to avoid root rot.

So iv just bought myself a 12 site aero cloner and i have a few questions.

Do i run it 24/7 or set it to a timer?

Other than House & Garden Roots Excelurator is there anything else i should use?

How long is it usually before start to finish to pot on?

Thanks guys and any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Some people run the Aerocloner 24x7 but you need to be cautious of heat build-up in the res which can cause BIG problems in hydro. You can easily run it on a timer, but you'll want a special timer where you can set it to come on for 2 minutes, then off for 5 minutes (for example) so you don't mist too long and don't go too long between mistings.

I don't know anything about the H&G Excelurator product, but I would recommend some Clonex solution (not the gel!) in the res with possibly some Dutch Masters Zone. Nothing else needed until they get some good roots.

It takes about 1-2 weeks to see roots, and the earlier the better. Cloning is basically a race to form roots so it can uptake moisture before the cutting loses too much water from transpiration, so a humidity dome will also help and recommend 100% humidity for at least the first 3-4 days. In 2-3 weeks, they're ready to pot or move to a larger hydro system.

I hope that helps!

Happy Harvests!

K

The main/only reason people would run the pump on a timer would be to lower temps, since the pump creates heat. As long as you have a relatively cool area to place the cloner in it shouldn’t be a problem.
I boil my water first, since I use rainwater and it tends to be a source of pythium/root rot algae.
Other than clean water the main environmental factor is going to be the temperature, which you want around 70, or in the low 70s. Root rot prefers the higher temps.
It takes up to two weeks for roots. As much as I’d like to be able to run a perpetual cloner and keep on sticking new cuttings in as the old ones root, I find that this doesn’t work in my environment. I have to do one round of clones at a time, then completely clean the entire cloner by running it for a while with a 10% bleach water solution. Otherwise they’ll stop rooting and start rotting.

I'm using deweys and they run off an air pump. So much better imo then a fountain pump and cant clog. I personally find no need for a dome and i live in a dry area but some use it and also that as long as the water is kept clean there is no need for additives. I use an additive(Not Hygrozyme, personally haven't tried it) to keep my water clean though and i keep the rez around 74-75°. Everyone has their own way, the fun part is figuring what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom