Aussie Guerrilla Grow For 2021/22 Season

Avery Bullock Jnr

420 Member
Hi folks,

Greeting from Australia. I’ve been an outdoor grower for a few years and live in a semi-arid environment on the Sydney/Adelaide/Perth latitude here in Australia – and in 2021 I’ve decided to start a chat on guerrilla growing out bush here in Oz where we regularly deal with consecutive 40-degree Celsius days [104-degree Fahrenheit for our U.S.A. friends].

Through trial and error over the years I’ve come up with a plan this year that I think will payoff dividends at harvest time – and I’d really appreciate any suggestions/feedback from your own experiences.

This year I’m planting the following strains sourced from sites overseas:

Power Plant

Skunk No.1

Amnesia Lemon (Fem)

Mango

AK47 (Fem)

White Widow Autoflower (Fem)

I started making my version of Subcool’s SuperSoil Mix about 8 weeks ago and have had it ‘cooking’ in 200 litre black plastic food-grade drums (that I’m now going to take out bush and use as a water tank to feed the girls) during this time.

I also made an early vegetative-stage mix that isn’t too hot which I put on top of the SuperSoil mix in each of my 90 litre fabric pots so the roots can reach down into the supercharged mix a few weeks after transplant.

The SuperSoil mix I have put together this year has the following ingredients:

- 10kg worm castings

- Water crystals

- EZI WET

- 2.5kg Guano Phosphorus Root Health Booster [Richgro]

- 2kg Fish Meal

- Mycorrhiza

- 2kg Dynamic Lifter

- 2kg Alfalfa Pellets

- 2kg blood & bone

- 10kg Silica (as dichotomous clay)

- ¾ cup Epson salts

- ½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)

- ½ cup rock dust (trace elements)

After cooking the above for about 8 weeks I then got out a tarp and mixed in perlite, vermiculite and the darkest most beautiful compost I’ve been making since the end of last season here. So basically, for each pot I put in about 33% SuperSoil + 33% Compost + 33% Vermiculite/Perlite.

I then drive about 40 minutes from the city to my secluded bush spot where I walk about 50 metres away perpendicular from the road on the side of a north facing slope [here in the southern hemisphere].

I’ll keep posting throughout the 2021/22 growing season here in Oz to keep you posted. Here’s a few pics of getting the plants ready ahead of the start of the season here and my preparations out the bush.

[P.S. to reduce evaporation in the fabric pots I have tied & wrapped old woolen carpet around each pot - blends in pretty good I reckon and the carpet will fend off some of the direct summer rays during heatwaves]

Cheers,

AB

September 2021 (1).png

September 2021 (8).png

September 2021 (9).png

September 2021 (2).png

Hi folks,

Greeting from Australia. I’ve been an outdoor grower for a few years and live in a semi-arid environment on the Sydney/Adelaide/Perth latitude here in Australia – and in 2021 I’ve decided to start a chat on guerrilla growing out bush here in Oz where we regularly deal with consecutive 40-degree Celsius days [104-degree Fahrenheit for our U.S.A. friends].

Through trial and error over the years I’ve come up with a plan this year that I think will payoff dividends at harvest time – and I’d really appreciate any suggestions/feedback from your own experiences.

This year I’m planting the following strains sourced from sites overseas:

Power Plant

Skunk No.1

Amnesia Lemon (Fem)

Mango

AK47 (Fem)

White Widow Autoflower (Fem)

I started making my version of Subcool’s SuperSoil Mix about 8 weeks ago and have had it ‘cooking’ in 200 litre black plastic food-grade drums (that I’m now going to take out bush and use as a water tank to feed the girls) during this time.

I also made an early vegetative-stage mix that isn’t too hot which I put on top of the SuperSoil mix in each of my 90 litre fabric pots so the roots can reach down into the supercharged mix a few weeks after transplant.

The SuperSoil mix I have put together this year has the following ingredients:

- 10kg worm castings

- Water crystals

- EZI WET

- 2.5kg Guano Phosphorus Root Health Booster [Richgro]

- 2kg Fish Meal

- Mycorrhiza

- 2kg Dynamic Lifter

- 2kg Alfalfa Pellets

- 2kg blood & bone

- 10kg Silica (as dichotomous clay)

- ¾ cup Epson salts

- ½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)

- ½ cup rock dust (trace elements)

After cooking the above for about 8 weeks I then got out a tarp and mixed in perlite, vermiculite and the darkest most beautiful compost I’ve been making since the end of last season here. So basically, for each pot I put in about 33% SuperSoil + 33% Compost + 33% Vermiculite/Perlite.

I then drive about 40 minutes from the city to my secluded bush spot where I walk about 50 metres away perpendicular from the road on the side of a north facing slope [here in the southern hemisphere].

I’ll keep posting throughout the 2021/22 growing season here in Oz to keep you posted. Here’s a few pics of getting the plants ready ahead of the start of the season here and my preparations out the bush.

[P.S. to reduce evaporation in the fabric pots I have tied & wrapped old woolen carpet around each pot - blends in pretty good I reckon and the carpet will fend off some of the direct summer rays during heatwaves]

Cheers,

AB

September 2021 (1).png

September 2021 (8).png

September 2021 (9).png

September 2021 (2).png
wow! mine are in the corner of the bedroom lol

Looking good. Similar temps to what we get in SA. Will be watching this one. Good Luck
Welcome to 420. I live in U.S. southwest desert it hits 120°f here. I grew some outdoor autos temps hit 115 but they survived. I'll be watching.
Cheers for the welcome mate. I’ve been planning this grow since the end last year’s harvest and I am really keen to see how SuperSoil + good genetics + 200 lite water tanks works out.

Welcome to 420. I live in U.S. southwest desert it hits 120°f here. I grew some outdoor autos temps hit 115 but they survived. I'll be watching.

Hey Mdlroad. Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I'd be really interested how you go where you live keeping water up to your plants if you've got them away from a natural water source and growing outdoors for security purposes?

I've installed some 200 litre water tanks (used food grade pickle barrels) with a timer and black poly pipe connecting to the plants. The main thing now for me to maintain the plot is to fill the tanks every 4 weeks - depending on the weather (currently set @ 2 litres per pot during the current milder and wetter spring days). Summer I'll definitely be filling the barrels at least every two weeks and be giving each pot at least 4 litres per day.

Definitely keen to hear some extreme climate workarounds you've put in place that have helped out.

Pulling up a chair...

Btw, have you considered a water-retention strategy for your plants? Since they're in pots, can you save water by preventing evaporation? That's what I try to do since I am away from the plants for weeks at a time...

Pulling up a chair...

Btw, have you considered a water-retention strategy for your plants? Since they're in pots, can you save water by preventing evaporation? That's what I try to do since I am away from the plants for weeks at a time...
Hi mate - I’ve put in an early water retention strategy by wrapping the fabric pots with old woollen carpet I purchased off the Gumtree second hand site.

I’m also going to cover the pots with about a foot of Pea Straw when the plants gets a bit taller. It’s a mild & wet spring here atm and for a few weeks I’m not too concerned about evaporation.

Im considering putting a 40cm disk of black plastic on top of the pot (under the pea straw) by cutting holes/slits for the stems and covering about 70% of the soils surface area - with the pea straw providing the rest of the evaporation protection.

I’m trying to think of what else I can do - but I think I’m stretching my imagination.

♂️

looks like a bottler, count me in. Get some mulch on that soil. Can you set up a condensation trap or 3 out there to collect moisture between waterings?

condensate trap.jpg
Hi Braddah. Good to have you here. I like the idea of a condensation trap - but honestly, I suspect when I’d need it most it’d evaporate as soon as it was collected.

I also anticipate issues between the collection of water & then evaporation of the stored water - as my engineering skills are limited.

Mulch is coming soon - any extreme weather recommendations?

I’m trying to think of what else I can do - but I think I’m stretching my imagination.

♂️

Here's a thought. Have you heard of "Blumat"? Blumat watering systems - Blumat

There may be other products like Blumat, but in principle it's a small olla, an enclosed (but openable) ceramic vessel containing water which leaches through the ceramic wall depending on how moist or dry the soil in your pot is. When the soil dries, it "pulls" water through the ceramic and into the soil. The water source has to be slightly elevated higher than the level of the top of the pot, so you get a siphon going. You would have them tapped into your 200 L reserve.

I use 3 or 4 Blumats per pot and use a 5 L jug of water for each, so maybe 20 L reserve. I went away for the month of September and left my east-facing grow (4 plants) on Blumats. Of course I gave them all lots of water before leaving. But they survived during warm weather and used up half the available water. They are visible in my current grow photos if you're interested, but Blumat is not the only way to do this, heck you can even invent your own. If you can get Blumat, get them, I can give you some tips on setting them up so they'll work when you are absent for weeks.

I respect the guerilla grow. So much effort. Hope ya get a bumper crop. What pests u got. Kangaroos and deer were the ones near me.
Hey Stoned Ape. It really is tonnes of effort isn’t it.

Every season I learn so much and improve by degrees. I actually cringe at how roughshod I was when I started as a teenager compared to now.

Don’t have any real pests where I am. Roos are scarce, no deer, rabbits or anything else that’s given me too much grief. Plenty of tracks and runs but nothings been munched on since I’ve been going to this spot. Had rats/mice chew a little hole in my 13mm black irrigation hose once but that’s about it.

Water use/retention is my big project this year and I think having black 200 litre water reservoirs will be a big improvement over other years’ efforts.

I was previously lugging water in 20L plastic Jerry cans to a 100 tank but I couldn’t visit often enough to keep it filled - and that amount of water in 40 degree Celsius Summer heat in Oz is nothing.

Now I’ve got a 200L tank set up for the back of my car and I use a Bunnings 12v water pump with a 50m hose to pump water down the side of a sunny north facing hill out bush to my second 200L container- then via my quick & easy poly pipe irrigation system to the pots.

Low pressure water timers are perfect for this gravity setup and I can rest easy knowing when I’m back at home they’re guaranteed to get the amount of water I want to give them depending on the weather forecast.

Will be especially awesome when it’s 40+ degree day with a sweltering westerly. I’ll be giving them 4-8 litres a day during these hot spells.

Here's what the Blumats look like once installed, the ceramic cones have those green caps with a line up to the water reserve. Anyway, best of luck, I think you'll have a great grow!

Hi Braddah. Good to have you here. I like the idea of a condensation trap - but honestly, I suspect when I’d need it most it’d evaporate as soon as it was collected.

I also anticipate issues between the collection of water & then evaporation of the stored water - as my engineering skills are limited.

Mulch is coming soon - any extreme weather recommendations?
We would string up some weed cloth, more surface area = more water with some sort of gutter underneath like halved pvc. Then run a drip line downhill gravity fed straight to the plants. Let the soil store it.

Sounds like you've done all you can to set yourself up for success. Keep em watered and they should thrive. Looks like good country!

Back
Top Bottom