Auto Topping Thread

This might be one of the very few if any time that you wish for a plant to be male. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Agreed. I'm nervous about the 4 plants in my 3x3 tent.
12 plants seems like A TON of work.. Keeping up with that many lady's at the same time.
Whew.

Takes a strong one.:bravo:

Looking at ur pic u have quite abit of empty room up front of the tent.so maybe try space the planta out alittle more;)

In fact it is awesome because it is room for gear; humidifiers, fans, and I can go inside the room to water the 4 plants at the back. When it will be bushy, it will be more difficult: i will have to use the window-door at the right (the left = wall, no access).

The Plants at the back-left are the most difficult to reach. I could move the one on that corner to the front, and put a tower-fan there.

Yeah, it will be a lot of work, especially if / when their feeding schedule begin to drift away one from the other and, leaves will make it hard to see the pots for watering .... :)

That's why I will top only 4 or 5 selected few.

But It will be beautiful too ;-)

Hi space , I just spat out me coffee when i saw that pic , God i hope your growing dwarfs mate .
Iv'e got two plant's that were topped and trained and they just fit side by side in my 4x4 tent .
Do not top any if you want to grow 12 plants in there , it's just to many for that tent .
9 at a push if if you take off some of the side growth ,and limit the number off tops per plant .
Ha mate each too there own but your braver than me .
Anyway i'm still a relative noob , just my 2 cents worth .
Be safe .

Thanks for the advice.

Ok, I will take care and review my topping project to a lower number.
I prefer to be safe :)
Sorry for the coffee....

They are all Autos strains and won't become "giants" (i hope). The ones in the 3 gallons smart pots might become hard to control if topped too much, even once. ...
In 6/7 liters pots (2 gall) , they never passed 45 cm for the tallest I ever grew. In the 11 liters, they could reach 20% size more, ie 50/60 cm (2 feet). in the smart pots, well, they could go full size (3 to 4/5 feet for the tallest.... if not topped ;-)

mmm, yeah, i don't know what i 'm talking about 'cause i never did it before.

Well, guys, subscribe to my ongoing journal: when I will drive the ship through storms and crushing waves, I will probably need the remote guidance from you :-D

I have 4 more in a 60*60 (2*2) box, and that's where I topped the first one. I don't regret it, but i'm already seeing where it could take me :)

Topped = at the top-right.

So, if I understand well, some of you will find this picture is "spooky" ? :D lol
0000-topped-2-2.jpg

Hi Space,

this is a pic of 2 of my Jack Herrer. Easy to see which is topped and which is not. The topped plants did not spread out too much wider than the non topped. But the LST did make the topped girls wider. I had 4 in a 4x4 tent. They were on 2 different feeding and watering schedules. I can't imagine trying to handle more than that, in fact I don't plan on more than 2 at a time from now on.
Hope this was helpful.

P21900031.JPG

So as you guys might remember, retardo, well she looks to be about ready to top, yeah, shes not tall or anything but other than that she looks normal. Should I top or no?
IMG_027652.JPG

Another weird thing is my other fast and vast is acting weird, look at the leaves. You can see in the background is her sister which is not doing what she is doing, what do you think it may be?
IMG_027948.JPG

I seem to remember seeing pcs of something similar. I wanna say other growers thought it may be a hot soil. Are you using fox farm, by chance?

I'm no expert but, might be worth looking in to.

Very helpful yes. Thanks a lot. Interesting how the topped one is more contained than the other.
May be I should in fact top them all and then use wires or scrog nets....
To keep up with the numbers, i will group plants together (by size/age...) and use simplified nutrient schedule.. I will have to do more than 1 mix of nuts each time anyway so it will be easy to make different doses...... I think :)

Hi Space,

this is a pic of 2 of my Jack Herrer. Easy to see which is topped and which is not. The topped plants did not spread out too much wider than the non topped. But the LST did make the topped girls wider. I had 4 in a 4x4 tent. They were on 2 different feeding and watering schedules. I can't imagine trying to handle more than that, in fact I don't plan on more than 2 at a time from now on.
Hope this was helpful.

P21900031.JPG

I seem to remember seeing pcs of something similar. I wanna say other growers thought it may be a hot soil. Are you using fox farm, by chance?

I'm no expert but, might be worth looking in to.

Using happy frog. But as you can see none of the others are doing anything weird. So maybe is the genetics of fast and vast.

Using happy frog. But as you can see none of the others are doing anything weird. So maybe is the genetics of fast and vast.

I used Ocean Forest. My only real tips would be to not give any nutes until they are at least 3 full weeks old. My first batch I waited until they were 4 full weeks old, and fed on the first day of their 5th week. I had another that was 9 days behind and started the feeding at 3 full weeks old (1st day of 4th week). It is the topped girl in the pic. She did just fine starting early on a 1/4 dose.

The other is to always water to run off, even if its just a little bit. Make sure the run off is true run off, not just rolling down the inside of the pot. Every few waterings I will water to a heavy run off, maybe 10%.

Other than that, awesome soil.

I have 4 more in a 60*60 (2*2) box, and that's where I topped the first one. I don't regret it, but i'm already seeing where it could take me :)

Topped = at the top-right.

So, if I understand well, some of you will find this picture is "spooky" ? :D lol
0000-topped-2-2.jpg

Omg.
they're gonna blow up!
I'd be terrified lol.

beast, how much space do you give your plants? Reason I asked is because I'm about to set up my new room and once set up, that's pretty much where the buckets will remain because of all the tubing and piping involved in RDWC. I use 5 gallon buckets.

From leave tip to leave tip, my last plants were about 22" wide at the widest point. I like a little space between them so I figure 24" x24"/plant. I see a lot of people leaving 1sqft/plant and doing just fine, a bit crowded, but fine.

So basically 4 plants in a 4x4?

Well, here's the reason I asked. Finally got this room finished and would like to set up as effective and efficient as I possibly could. Being as it's going to be RDWC, I just want to do it once and be done instead of moving stuff around constantly.

IMG_029844.JPG

I will have 4 different lights in there, LEC, HID, LED and t5 (in a tent to veg and clone) The room is something like 18x22

I have a 4x4 tent and even with all 4 in there, I had a good bit of space left over. I could have probably, technically speaking, had 2 more going but, like I said, I like room between the plants and for fans, heaters, humidifer, etc.

Gotcha, seeing as in a tent you have to fit all your equipment in there. Since I wouldn't have the issue as far as needing to fill in the space with such things, I can probably comfortable do 5 in a 4x4 with one in each corner and one dead center, so 15 plants total under 3 lights in a 4x12 spacing.

I apologize Noobie,

I misread. iI you have all that space available then you should be fine. In fact, that is how I started and can't wait to be back out of the tent and into a whole room. I had temp and stink issues, so I bought a tent. I loved being able to put a single fan across the room and hit all 4 plants, which at the time were in a line, not a square. Also, it was so nice to be able to move around..no unzipping a door or having to move the plants to water them.

sorry again

Gotcha, seeing as in a tent you have to fit all your equipment in there. Since I wouldn't have the issue as far as needing to fill in the space with such things, I can probably comfortable do 5 in a 4x4 with one in each corner and one dead center, so 15 plants total under 3 lights in a 4x12 spacing.

Remember that your light is strongest right in the middle, as you get closer to the edges, it dies off substantially.

Back
Top Bottom