Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

IMG_0363.jpeg
IMG_0362.jpeg

Metrics from an unlooked tent for days and the view from my seat where I spend about 18 hours a day, Always looking for the positive me, at least I have the option of not being in a chair, which my buddy Jon don’t.

The Russian guy building the house paid for the current tranche of work (the sunset picture is some the builders having a beer on the roof of the house end of Saturday, a cold can of suds/hit day) Anyway the guy who’s house it will be paid his main contractor, main contractor paid three sub contractors. One sub contractor turned up and told her staff, dripping in new gold jewelry she hadn’t been paid so they weren't getting paid.

& Co had the ones walking out over for lunch and then one the guys borrowed my truck and drove everyone for an afternoon at the beach and fishing. When they got back here at 6pm, half a dozen of them, kids included (they live on the building site) had their stuff at the door and all crammed in a truck to somewhere else. & Co has their deets if we can find them more work. Tragic. Their daughter I guestimsted at 7 years old? 11. And I lived and travelled in Africa for years. I’m good at taking years off for malnourishment. She’s serious smart that kid though. Got IQ and EQ. Likely we’ll never lay eyes on that family again - I suspect its a long long journey back to their village. Parent’s have done outstandingly (and I made sure & Co told them I thought so) with doing their best in a way harder world than near any of us reading or writing here ever will.

Anyway hippy humanity sermon over. Lets get more plant pictures in!

Nick a bit jaded with the world but trucking on!

IMG_0363.jpeg
IMG_0362.jpeg

Metrics from an unlooked tent for days and the view from my seat where I spend about 18 hours a day, Always looking for the positive me, at least I have the option of not being in a chair, which my buddy Jon don’t.

The Russian guy building the house paid for the current tranche of work (the sunset picture is some the builders having a beer on the roof of the house end of Saturday, a cold can of suds/hit day) Anyway the guy who’s house it will be paid his main contractor, main contractor paid three sub contractors. One sub contractor turned up and told her staff, dripping in new gold jewelry she hadn’t been paid so they weren't getting paid.

& Co had the ones walking out over for lunch and then one the guys borrowed my truck and drove everyone for an afternoon at the beach and fishing. When they got back here at 6pm, half a dozen of them, kids included (they live on the building site) had their stuff at the door and all crammed in a truck to somewhere else. & Co has their deets if we can find them more work. Tragic. Their daughter I guestimsted at 7 years old? 11. And I lived and travelled in Africa for years. I’m good at taking years off for malnourishment. She’s serious smart that kid though. Got IQ and EQ. Likely we’ll never lay eyes on that family again - I suspect its a long long journey back to their village. Parent’s have done outstandingly (and I made sure & Co told them I thought so) with doing their best in a way harder world than near any of us reading or writing here ever will.

Anyway hippy humanity sermon over. Lets get more plant pictures in!

Nick a bit jaded with the world but trucking on!
I couldn’t love this post more Nick.

Skywalker Auto
Day 74
PARTIAL HARVEST!!

I took a couple branches - the two with completely fully white trichs and no 3/4 filled ones. The rest probably need til Sunday. She’s washed with baking soda and lemon juice and then well rinsed in plain water. I was too lazy to do three buckets this time, so skipped the H2O2, and that’s mostly for powdery mildew and such which I don’t have. This plant surprised the shit out of me. Super productive. You can barely tell I even took anything and this is a decent amount of bud right here. Density top to bottom, zero flarf. Heh.

Yay.

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

I should clarify the numbers a bit probably.

Light at 46%

Ok so the Pulse Sensor has a light meter with a “quantum” sensor. It takes the fancy spectral readings and gives the fancy graph type stuff. You need to use holding it horizontally for those. About a minute of holding it steady, arms reach. Surprisingly hard, try it! Use a small coffee cup full arms length for a minute. For all
The other sensors its designed to hang vertically, the fans and stuff spin it around, its really a binary output - lights on or off. Not bothered. It was likely facing the tent walll

DLI 0.7 and PPFD 20 (box bottom right corner)

Yeah light ain’t that bad! Sometimes not even in the room I miss click on the app or someone knocks the physical button for taking light readings on the device.

Hope that makes sense?

The rest the numbers? Yep within 95% of where I want them right now! Environment, environment, environment.

Nick

IMG_0363.jpeg

I should clarify the numbers a bit probably.

Light at 46%

Ok so the Pulse Sensor has a light meter with a “quantum” sensor. It takes the fancy spectral readings and gives the fancy graph type stuff. You need to use holding it horizontally for those. About a minute of holding it steady, arms reach. Surprisingly hard, try it! Use a small coffee cup full arms length for a minute. For all
The other sensors its designed to hang vertically, the fans and stuff spin it around, its really a binary output - lights on or off. Not bothered. It was likely facing the tent walll

DLI 0.7 and PPFD 20 (box bottom right corner)

Yeah light ain’t that bad! Sometimes not even in the room I miss click on the app or someone knocks the physical button for taking light readings on the device.

Hope that makes sense?

The rest the numbers? Yep within 95% of where I want them right now! Environment, environment, environment.

Nick
PPFD 20 box bottom right corner?

PPFD 20 box bottom right corner?
EDIT - sorry 10 (TEN) PPFD!

Yep - as I explained - ignore. Just a quirk. If I press a button in the app while I’m anyehere in the world it will take a light reading but the sensor isn’t pointing at the light?

Its probably about 1000 PPFD again

All good, never really grown at such low light levels I can tell you 100% its made our buds way smaller! BUT - maybe they’re better buds though!

I’m still very interested in the outcome

Skywalker Auto
Day 74
PARTIAL HARVEST!!

I took a couple branches - the two with completely fully white trichs and no 3/4 filled ones. The rest probably need til Sunday. She’s washed with baking soda and lemon juice and then well rinsed in plain water. I was too lazy to do three buckets this time, so skipped the H2O2, and that’s mostly for powdery mildew and such which I don’t have. This plant surprised the shit out of me. Super productive. You can barely tell I even took anything and this is a decent amount of bud right here. Density top to bottom, zero flarf. Heh.

Yay.

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg
@Azimuth - hey my man - listen…this no foam in the soda/lemon juice is really starting to piss me off. Any answers for that yet? WTF am I doing wrong?

@Azimuth - hey my man - listen…this no foam in the soda/lemon juice is really starting to piss me off. Any answers for that yet? WTF am I doing wrong?
Let me know when you find out. Mine doesn't foam either.

I use equal parts which is what the recipe calls for, but I wonder if more of one than the other would kick it off. 🤔

Also, I use two rinse buckets to your one. I don't get much from the last one but I think it helps clean off the residual dissolved stuff.

EDIT - sorry 10 (TEN) PPFD!

Yep - as I explained - ignore. Just a quirk. If I press a button in the app while I’m anyehere in the world it will take a light reading but the sensor isn’t pointing at the light?

Its probably about 1000 PPFD again

All good, never really grown at such low light levels I can tell you 100% its made our buds way smaller! BUT - maybe they’re better buds though!

I’m still very interested in the outcome
It’s too bad Jah picked this grow for your light issues. The outcome would have been different. The other disadvantage that nobody has mentioned yet (so I’ll deal you the props here, lol) is this: you flipped when you flipped for mostly one reason - to make us close in time to harvest, which you figured made for a better journal. Correct? That’s what I thought, and that my friend is you signing up voluntarily for a lesser yield outcome in the name of the greater good. Am I giving you too much credit?
:rofl:

Let me know when you find out. Mine doesn't foam either.

I use equal parts which is what the recipe calls for, but I wonder if more of one than the other would kick it off. 🤔

Also, I use two rinse buckets to your one. I don't get much from the last one but I think it helps clean off the residual dissolved stuff.
Yeah I usually do too but I was lazy. I got more dust this time than particulate matter, but the dirty water degree between the two buckets was dramatic. I do believe the combo does what it’s supposed to regardless of no foam, but shit. I wonder if I try brand new fresh soda and distilled water? But now we’re into F that territory, lol. Oh well.

Houseplant of the Month Entry :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
April
Raven ZZ
30 gallon pot
FFOF/MiracleGro high grade Potting Soil/perlite
Water/EWC

This plant was recently uppotted (five weeks ago) and has gone completely insane ever since. The new growth now overwhelms the old growth, with new shoots everywhere and no end in sight. It’s goddamn prehistoric.

IMG_5225.jpeg

Skywalker Auto
Day 74
PARTIAL HARVEST!!

Yay.

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg
Why not use Citric acid instead of lemon juice? The sole purpose to my understanding is to create sodium citrate to gently clean off the buds?

It would remove questions like the different concentrations of natural saponins in lemons and how they're extracted that might be the cause of the bubbles?

Cheers!

Why not use Citric acid instead of lemon juice? The sole purpose to my understanding is to create sodium citrate to gently clean off the buds?

It would remove questions like the different concentrations of natural saponins in lemons and how they're extracted that might be the cause of the bubbles?

Cheers!
And do the bubbles even matter, either directly or as an indication of some other desired quality?

It’s too bad Jah picked this grow for your light issues. The outcome would have been different. The other disadvantage that nobody has mentioned yet (so I’ll deal you the props here, lol) is this: you flipped when you flipped for mostly one reason - to make us close in time to harvest, which you figured made for a better journal. Correct? That’s what I thought, and that my friend is you signing up voluntarily for a lesser yield outcome in the name of the greater good. Am I giving you too much credit?
:rofl:
I grew too tall the last grow with this light in this tent exact same style (no side lights) Didn’t run out of space (nearly but no!) but a good 30% of the height was just wasted. I’d need to check back but think I flipped at Day #40 there, was waiting for something to arrive, knew then it was too late. Its in my “Dissertation” journal. I knew from all things being equal” with how we grow around 30 days was a sweeter spot. Even just keeping the plants 6-10” shorter we’s have beaten the couple of pounds,1058 grams we got there, because it would easier to manage for s bunch of reasons the biggest reasons being:

#1 How ever tight your control of the environment is (the single biggest thing for me for growing indoors) you will not be getting uniformity in a 5x5 - at the edges the numbers gonna we way different to the middle. You're mostly taking readings in the middle / a cuboid (tent shaped) has 12 edges so you probably want to average the most productive bits the plants as much as possible in say the median middle the tent. Its aldo snd you’ll know this as well as anyone better have your plants where they are easily reachable. Especially besr the end when you want to be checking them all the time?

#2 Knowing the above I was teasing with you I’d finish sooner was just that. I didn't rush anything.

My subconscious only reveals its machinations after the fact quite often! I knew the light, deep down I knew there was already an issue. I was too excited about the previous arm sized colas last time out!

There was little timing stuff, because of other grows but no - if I ran it again I’d flip the same time. Only place I tried make fair (and therefore more interesting) If I grew 12x Mimosa x Orange Punch or 12x Gorilla Glue #4? Hell my Mum could beat ya with them strains 😂

So too long:didn't read (tl:dr)

No I wasn't doing you or anyone any favours flipping when I did. I did it before and I’d do
it again! I just should have just acted faster on the light. Trusted my own eyes - I even bought a third light sensor that remains in unised on the seat in front of me as I write but just didn’t get round to using it. That was covered in that journal as well.

So there gou go - I got loads more stuff I’m interested in the outcome of this still. I just hope some others are too!

image.jpg

And do the bubbles even matter, either directly or as an indication of some other desired quality?
If the intended purpose of the solution is to clean the buds then Citric acid is a cleaner alternative than Lemon juice.

In practicality there's probably no difference at all.

Despite @NickHardy 's protestations to the contrary (last dance type stuff), I think a "Do-over" is called for. Much like @Jon 's Last Florida grow that turned out to be anything but, you guys owe it to the site and your fans to do it up properly.

Consider this one a warm up. Spring training if you will, and start fresh with a new comparative (not competitive) grow. Same parameters of grow space, etc but without out all the infighting (as jovial as it was meant to be.)

Highlight the differences and possibilities, maybe even grow the same strains. Could tie it to a seed sponsored journal as those seem to be springing up with some frequency. Or, lobby your favorite breeder or one of the site's breeders to showcase their seeds.

That would be fun.

My 0.02.

If the intended purpose of the solution is to clean the buds then Citric acid is a cleaner alternative than Lemon juice.

In practicality there's probably no difference at all.
I usually use the H2O2 for my wash because it ... it works! What am I missing? I don't understand why you also use citric acid and baking soda? Wouldn't that leave some residue on the buds?

I usually use the H2O2 for my wash because it ... it works! What am I missing? I don't understand why you also use citric acid and baking soda? Wouldn't that leave some residue on the buds?
No not in the concentration being used. Sodium citrate neutralizes H2O2 which can be pretty harsh on the buds.

I don't personally do this but as I understand it you first do peroxide wash followed by sodium citrate to neutralize pH and further clean and then final wash in regular water.

Back
Top Bottom