Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

Why not use Citric acid instead of lemon juice? The sole purpose to my understanding is to create sodium citrate to gently clean off the buds?

It would remove questions like the different concentrations of natural saponins in lemons and how they're extracted that might be the cause of the bubbles?

Cheers!
Hmm. And I can order this cheap off Amazon? That’s a good idea.

I usually use the H2O2 for my wash because it ... it works! What am I missing? I don't understand why you also use citric acid and baking soda? Wouldn't that leave some residue on the buds?
That's usually the first, pre-bucket, typically only used if you have pm. If not, skip that one and start with the baking soda/lemon juice and then a couple of rinse buckets.

Despite @NickHardy 's protestations to the contrary (last dance type stuff), I think a "Do-over" is called for. Much like @Jon 's Last Florida grow that turned out to be anything but, you guys owe it to the site and your fans to do it up properly.

Consider this one a warm up. Spring training if you will, and start fresh with a new comparative (not competitive) grow. Same parameters of grow space, etc but without out all the infighting (as jovial as it was meant to be.)

Highlight the differences and possibilities, maybe even grow the same strains. Could tie it to a seed sponsored journal as those seem to be springing up with some frequency. Or, lobby your favorite breeder or one of the site's breeders to showcase their seeds.

That would be fun.

My 0.02.
Well, interestingly enough, my next grow has a 5x5 of dank seeds genetics (sponsored by them) and 5x5 of Dirty Bird Genetics (sponsored by NASC), both all photos. I’d be happy to do a grow like that with anyone who might be in a similar schedule and has the appropriate infrastructure. Not for yield. Just for education and fun and contrast like you say.

No not in the concentration being used. Sodium citrate neutralizes H2O2 which can be pretty harsh on the buds.

I don't personally do this but as I understand it you first do peroxide wash followed by sodium citrate to neutralize pH and further clean and then final wash in regular water.
That is also my opinion of the “way” to do it.

Despite @NickHardy 's protestations to the contrary (last dance type stuff), I think a "Do-over" is called for. Much like @Jon 's Last Florida grow that turned out to be anything but, you guys owe it to the site and your fans to do it up properly.

Consider this one a warm up. Spring training if you will, and start fresh with a new comparative (not competitive) grow. Same parameters of grow space, etc but without out all the infighting (as jovial as it was meant to be.)

Highlight the differences and possibilities, maybe even grow the same strains. Could tie it to a seed sponsored journal as those seem to be springing up with some frequency. Or, lobby your favorite breeder or one of the site's breeders to showcase their seeds.

That would be fun.

My 0.02.

I’m sorry mate. Really

But maybe next year or something! I need a break. A break from a bunch of stuff!

That aside - tent growing to flower makes very little sense for our setup / I need to have all the many many balls in the air in my life in tune to dedicate my 100% full attention.

But we're actually not chasing yield so much now. There’s other more interesting things I want to explore.

And I have to book flights to the US for later in the year to settle this wager!

Has anyone ever see the movie Rounders, Matt Damon, Ed Norton, John Malkovich? Its about poker. There’s scene when Damon’s gone bust. He’s driving some convenience store delivery truck delivering dunno, like groceries, late at night, early mornings to pay his way through law school.

He’s out the game, he says:

“I could turn this truck around and be at the Taj in two hours”

Obvs he gets back in the game and blah happily ever after.

Me and The Real Nick know that movie back to front. Like me particularly - verbatim.

I want find some similar looking store, rent the exact same type of truck (like an old school UPS thing) and drive us to the Taj. Next day we’ll go see what Philly looks like, (we’ll grab a decent vehicle, Mustang, Navigator whatever, and watch a ball gane with Jon and who ever else fancies it.

But I need a little break between now and then from journals. Last Dance is my riposte. I don’t need to be competitive with Jon, he’s my mste. And I inly got so much energy for the myriad problems I get paid and not to fix.

And if you think my Rounders plan is absurd? Or I wont go fly halfway across the world to see some peeps I met online growing weed? OK!

Let’s see? I’m by no means loaded, but ok “middle class”. I do recognize that sometimes you gotta make some time for a little new fun in your life, personal time. I try to bring what fun and knowledge I can here- but I need some Nick time as well.

So The Last Dance is the last journal until after I have a holiday. We’ll still be growing. Still be about! Paetreoned up!

Nick

I take a break around December most years Nick, even if it's only for a month or so
Much as I love growing, it's good to make some people time once in a while
Take it easy mate, see ya if you make it to the motherland in summer
Cheers buddy - trying to get back. It takes 3 days probably to get up to Bangkok to do the paperwork for & Co.to enter the UK (it eoukd be cheaper to go to Calais and get boat across the channel than get & Co into the UK legit bte and we are totsly legit married. Me and out daughter walk straight iin!

Hopefully maybe July but I don’t even have three days to spare to get to BKK 🤣

People round the world are laying off people left right and center - and making it my problem. No joke I watched “Up In The Air” with George Clooney as a “How to” movie recently!

I’m alright personally, really no one need worry about me, I just need take care to look after my time a little better. And & Co too. She’s feeding basically a village at the moment.

But yeah, a pint of cider in near daylight at 10pm on a summers eve? You knoe hoe much I want that!

❤️

I’m sorry mate. Really

But maybe next year or something! I need a break. A break from a bunch of stuff!

That aside - tent growing to flower makes very little sense for our setup / I need to have all the many many balls in the air in my life in tune to dedicate my 100% full attention.

But we're actually not chasing yield so much now. There’s other more interesting things I want to explore.

And I have to book flights to the US for later in the year to settle this wager!

Has anyone ever see the movie Rounders, Matt Damon, Ed Norton, John Malkovich? Its about poker. There’s scene when Damon’s gone bust. He’s driving some convenience store delivery truck delivering dunno, like groceries, late at night, early mornings to pay his way through law school.

Me and The Real Nick know that movie back to front. Like me particularly - verbatim.

I want find some similar looking store, rent the exact same type of truck (like an old school UPS thing) and drive us to the Taj. Next day we’ll go see what Philly looks like, (we’ll grab a decent vehicle, Mustang, Navigator whatever, and watch a ball gane with Jon and who ever else fancies it.

But I need a little break between now and then from journals. Last Dance is my riposte. I don’t need to be competitive with Jon, he’s my mste. And I inly got so much energy for the myriad problems I get paid and not to fix.

And if you think my Rounders plan is absurd? Or I wont go fly halfway across the world to see some peeps I met online growing weed? OK!

Let’s see? I’m by no means loaded, but ok “middle class”. I do recognize that sometimes you gotta make some time for a little new fun in your life, personal time. I try to bring what fun and knowledge I can here- but I need some Nick time as well.

So The Last Dance is the last journal until after I have a holiday. We’ll still be growing. Still be about! Paetreoned up!

Nick
Where are you going to watch a game? Boston, I hope and if so, I will be there. 🍋

Where are you going to watch a game? Boston, I hope and if so, I will be there. 🍋
I’m still not certain, but pretty sure Jon’s gonna win so it’ll be Philly. Pick you up in the truck though? We’ll be landing in NY - what’s thaat 4 hours each way? 2 to Atlantic City (think real world more) and then 3 to Philly?

Dunno? Short trips. I drove Cape Town to Cairo in Africa. We took 35,000km over it, 20,000 miles. A bit of cruising around the north eastern seaboard of the US? Yeah reckon I got that in my locker!

I’m still not certain, but pretty sure Jon’s gonna win so it’ll be Philly. Pick you up in the truck though? We’ll be landing in NY - what’s thaat 4 hours each way? 2 to Atlantic City (think real world more) and then 3 to Philly?

Dunno? Short trips. I drove Cape Town to Cairo in Africa. We took 35,000km over it, 20,000 miles. A bit of cruising around the north eastern seaboard of the US? Yeah reckon I got that in my locker!
I would love to go to a game with you guys. Keep me in touch whatever you do. I hat driving but maybe a road trip. 🍋

You know those stands you had holding the solo cups?

Use one of those!

I like the thinking - the cupholders I attached to the microphone stands don’t sit quite level but nothing a bit of cardboard and gaffer tape can’t fix

The mic stands sit on a heavy metal base about a foot diameter across though. I suppose i could drop the base under the pallet and position the pole through the pallet into the base and screw it in. It would be a little fiddly even without any plants in there - I def can’t be bothered doing it with plants in there!

It would bring benefits beyond not getting a tired arm! It would also bring a whole bunch of consistency to the tests/results.

Things I’d need to watch for is the base would sit in the run off trays so rust, but they frequently get wet any way and I think the whole mic stand was like $10 Also it would limit how low I could go with the light. But that’s not a deal breaker - not planning on vegging in there anytime soon!

So yep good idea! But then once that light is swapped out I’m hoping I won’t need to be taking light readings anyway.

I’m thinking about buying two new @Mars Hydro FC6500’s. So if there’s a discount code that works on the Thai Mars Hydro site someone let me know! I’m sending this other brand one back to Shenzhen (at my expense) after this grow. They fix it, keep it, do what they like with it! What’s $550 between friends?! The sight of it offends my eyes at the moment!

😅

I’m sorry mate. Really

Nick
Great movie 🎥 and I especially enjoyed the Russian’s part played by John Malkovich. Hope you two enjoy the trip. CL🍀

Great movie 🎥 and I especially enjoyed the Russian’s part played by John Malkovich. Hope you two enjoy the trip. CL🍀
You feeling better mate? Saw you’d been in hospital?

Malkovich plays another Russian in the TV show “Billions” It almost the same character just much much richer and a hedge fund guy. Same accent everything. Its like an in joke - from someone who works with and lives in place with a lot of Russian’s its a worse accent than Dick Van Dyke’s English accent in Mary Poppins 🤣

IMG_0387.jpeg

It looks red in the movie, shot quite dark, but its the same as Teddy KGB wears in the movie my mate (Real Nick) who bought it for me for my birthday reckons. Got it off eBay I think for my 40th birthday present. Said took ages to track one down. Two white stripes not 3 for Adidas. No brand or anything.

Got some plant pictures a coming, be kind 🤣

You feeling better mate? Saw you’d been in hospital?

Malkovich plays another Russian in the TV show “Billions” It almost the same character just much much richer and a hedge fund guy. Same accent everything. Its like an in joke - from someone who works with and lives in place with a lot of Russian’s its a worse accent than Dick Van Dyke’s English accent in Mary Poppins 🤣

IMG_0387.jpeg

It looks red in the movie, shot quite dark, but its the same as Teddy KGB wears in the movie my mate (Real Nick) who bought it for me for my birthday reckons. Got it off eBay I think for my 40th birthday present. Said took ages to track one down. Two white stripes not 3 for Adidas. No brand or anything.

Got some plant pictures a coming, be kind 🤣
I’m feeling quite good right now actually. I just finished a bowls of my Chocolate Thai with my coffee.☕️ That whole thing about the hospital was because Smoking wings said he never seen a bad nurse and I had. How are you doing today Nick? Life treating you kindly I hope. CL🍀

Things I’d need to watch for is the base would sit in the run off trays so rust, but they frequently get wet any way and I think the whole mic stand was like $10 Also it would limit how low I could go with the light. But that’s not a deal breaker - not planning on vegging in there anytime soon!
Personally I'd rather hang it from above (not the mic stand, just the instrument) or attach a swing arm to a side wall if it's not in your tent. Stuff attached from below just constantly gets in the way of moving plants around or working on them, etc.

Personally I'd rather hang it from above (not the mic stand, just the instrument) or attach a swing arm to a side wall if it's not in your tent. Stuff attached from below just constantly gets in the way of moving plants around or working on them, etc.
For this device its designed to be hung off slightly to the side, not under direct light for 99% of the time, it would mess with the other sensors they reckon. Just the 1% or actually way less of the time when you turn it horizontal for a light reading to be taken.

IMG_0390.jpeg

Here go - the orange device with the dot which is the quantum/light sensor where it lives. When I take a light reading just unplug the power cable and hold it out somewhere around the middle of the tent. Where it is there because of the corner to corner airflow I know it reads a little warmer and little wetter than in the middle of the tent. There’s another Mars Hydro sensor does Temp and Rh in the middle of the tent. So they average out as I would expect. VPD will be consistent.

Some plant pictures. OK pretty. So so small. The Dutch Pro Silica won’t be bought again when it runs out. Really floppy plants. Bit easier to move around though I guess! Small wins!

Nick
IMG_0374.jpeg
IMG_0375.jpeg
IMG_0376.jpeg

I’m sorry mate. Really

Nick
Damn Nick, dropping bombs everywhere. Well, there’s a Taj in Atlantic City, only an hour from Philly. I’m beyond game. As you might expect, when I play I win. Blackjack. I know the game intimately. Let’s go. Hell, by the time we get to the game it’s not even gonna be the highlight anymore, lol. Yes, who hasn’t seen Rounders? Great flick! Poor Ed Norton. Lol. He’s my man. Sold me forever with the Fight Club performance. As far as your break, yeah, only mine will be amidst a grow. Heh. I have my 30th Anniversary mountain gig on Labor Day weekend then you guys I hope, that’s time when I actually call in the help. Lol. But it’ll effectively be a break, I don’t need a month. I really hope this all works out. Lemme know if we are going to “officially” blow off the competition part, cuz if so, I have zero issues with that, but then I’ll move the two organics out of the tent and into the closet. Haha, but really. Every time I’ve tried to go there you say no, wait, it’s not over yet, or whatever ( :rofl: ), so I need an Official Word.

Good luck navigating through NYC it’s a whole new experience. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom