Azi's Cloning Adventures

nice! So aloe is a passđź‘Ť
Not yet. There are definite positive aspects the aloe gel brings to plants even if quicker or stronger rooting aren't among them. But too small a sample size so far, though it would eliminate a step making the process even simpler if it proves ineffective.

Definitely want a few more rounds with it though.

Day 9 on the latest round and I have roots showing at the cup edge which means roots likely started day 7 or 8.

Nice!

Looks like it is a non-aloe dip clone but since they share a cup it's not possible to say until I pull them out.

The next round will be a bit delayed since I sprayed with a soap mixture I had left over from my last spraying, but I had forgotten that it had fried some leaves. And yes, True to form, it fried some more. Doh!

Day 9 on the latest round and I have roots showing at the cup edge which means roots likely started day 7 or 8.

Nice!

Looks like it is a non-aloe dip clone but since they share a cup it's not possible to say until I pull them out.

The next round will be a bit delayed since I sprayed with a soap mixture I had left over from my last spraying, but I had forgotten that it had fried some leaves. And yes, True to form, it fried some more. Doh!
What are you??! A stoner?! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I've got roots showing all over the place which is a good sign. I was going to float them all out at day 14 just to see any differences but I didn't end up mixing my soil yet so I'll do it this weekend as I want to replace a couple of other plants with some of these since they look so much healthier. It sure is great to have choices!

One interesting observation was in the health of the clones after potting in soil. I kept the best two clones from each of two different strains, and in both cases I had one aloe dunked and one not representing the best from the group.

After being potted up in soil for about a week or so, the two  non-aloe dunked plants are larger and look healthier, wider leaves, etc. Not what I was expecting. :hmmmm:

Still, it's only 4 plants but so far there's no clear advantage to an aloe dunk either for faster or healthier rooting, nor for healthy growth thereafter, and one could argue it's better off going without.

I've got roots showing all over the place which is a good sign. I was going to float them all out at day 14 just to see any differences but I didn't end up mixing my soil yet so I'll do it this weekend as I want to replace a couple of other plants with some of these since they look so much healthier. It sure is great to have choices!

One interesting observation was in the health of the clones after potting in soil. I kept the best two clones from each of two different strains, and in both cases I had one aloe dunked and one not representing the best from the group.

After being potted up in soil for about a week or so, the two  non-aloe dunked plants are larger and look healthier, wider leaves, etc. Not what I was expecting. :hmmmm:

Still, it's only 4 plants but so far there's no clear advantage to an aloe dunk either for faster or healthier rooting, nor for healthy growth thereafter, and one could argue it's better off going without.
or just a wee little bit.

I would also add the now rooted clones that are still in the perlite exhibit the same properties in that the non-aloed clones are visually more impressive.
Interesting. I wonder what other hormone sources may actually come with detriment? Now I have to grow an un-hormon-ized clone out to flower to see. Thanks Azi.... I will get you.......

Interesting. I wonder what other hormone sources may actually come with detriment? Now I have to grow an un-hormon-ized clone out to flower to see. Thanks Azi.... I will get you.......
They'll get unboxed this weekend so I'll be able to compare root structures, but this is definitely the method I'll take some time to refine with many of the experiments listed in the first post.

I've got a new CBD variety with a much broader set of terpines coming up next that I think might be my standard and majority plant variety going forward so I'm excited to finally have a cloning method that works so well for me!

Looks like the transplants have taken no problem so it's time to get back to cloning. I'll dig the last batch out of their perlite cups and see what we learn, but since I don't need any of them, 'a composting' they will go.

This next round I want to test my 'trim on the plant and leave overnight' vs not. I know @Gee64 trims his on the plant right before he takes them while most growers trim after cutting from the plant.

Since it doesn't seem like there would be much difference between the latter two, I'm open to suggestions as to whether I trim on the plant or off for the controls. I should have at least 4 and maybe 6 contestants this round. Any specific reason you trim on the plant Gee?

Also, probably no aloe this round.

He never touches the stuff
:hmmmm:

:meditate: :meditate: :meditate:
Yes, it's true that I prefer the acidic versions of the cannabinoids, but I've read recently that CBDa at least (and maybe THCa as well) have more difficulty passing the blood/brain barrier and, since one of my medical interests is brain health and dementia prevention, I may stray on over to the dark side.

Also, a bit of each of CBD and THC are said to make the other more effective so I'll probably add some decarboxylated herb to my mix.

Yes, it's true that I prefer the acidic versions of the cannabinoids, but I've read recently that CBDa at least (and maybe THCa as well) have more difficulty passing the blood/brain barrier and, since one of my medical interests is brain health and dementia prevention I may stray on over to the dark side.

Also, a bit of each of CBD and THC are said to make the other more effective so I'll probably add some decarboxylated herb to my mix.
The more angles the better! I'm like you eating fresh from the freezer, decarboxylated and vaping. It all depends on what effects you're after really. You only need small amounts of CBD to increase the half life and felt effects of THC. To much of CBD on the other hand decreases the analgesic effects of THC.

Different ratios create different effects from my experience. Cheers!

Looks like the transplants have taken no problem so it's time to get back to cloning. I'll dig the last batch out of their perlite cups and see what we learn, but since I don't need any of them, 'a composting' they will go.

This next round I want to test my 'trim on the plant and leave overnight' vs not. I know @Gee64 trims his on the plant right before he takes them while most growers trim after cutting from the plant.

Since it doesn't seem like there would be much difference between the latter two, I'm open to suggestions as to whether I trim on the plant or off for the controls. I should have at least 4 and maybe 6 contestants this round. Any specific reason you trim on the plant Gee?

There is. Once I cut the clone I want it in a glass of water right up until I dab it with hormone and stick it into either the bubble cloner or moist soil.

If you have it out in the open air you risk chance of embolism, so I prep them all on the plant with my soil or cloner all ready to go and then from chop to done for 8 clones is less than 5 minutes, most of that time in the glass of water.

I'm extremely interested to see if a trim the day before has an effect.

There is. Once I cut the clone I want it in a glass of water right up until I dab it with hormone and stick it into either the bubble cloner or moist soil.

If you have it out in the open air you risk chance of embolism, so I prep them all on the plant with my soil or cloner all ready to go and then from chop to done for 8 clones is less than 5 minutes, most of that time in the glass of water.

I'm extremely interested to see if a trim the day before has an effect.
Ok, then that's they way I'll do the controls.

I'll probably prep the first group tonight and, since I don't need any of these either, maybe I'll pull them every few days to see what's what after the first week or so. I'll also put them in their respective cups, like with like.

I feel like a kid at Christmas with a new toy that works because the batteries came with the gift! :laughtwo:

The more angles the better! I'm like you eating fresh from the freezer, decarboxylated and vaping. It all depends on what effects you're after really. You only need small amounts of CBD to increase the half life and felt effects of THC. To much of CBD on the other hand decreases the analgesic effects of THC.

Different ratios create different effects from my experience. Cheers!
Thanks, @Wastei . I did know about higher levels of CBD counteracting the effects of THC, which may be one reason the 1:1 strains are so popular.

Frankly I think the best course of action is to grow a mostly THC plant and another mostly CBD plant and then you can mix and match in any ratios you want, which is what I do. I have a CBD, a CBG, and a THC plant, each with about 15% levels of their major cannabinoid so it makes the math pretty easy! 👨‍🔬

Floated out the four clones from the perlite and sent them to the worm bin.

The non-aloe dunked both had much stronger and better developed root structures which probably suggests they rooted sooner. I may revisit aloe again at some point but for now that idea gets left behind. That's OK, makes the process that much more streamlined.

I have 6 clones for the next round, unfortunately it's 3 each of long and short, so I pre-trimmed 1 long and two short limbs tonight and will cut all 6 tomorrow.

Took the 6 cuttings today, 8/17. Trimmed the remaining three on the plant, cut them all and put them immediately into a cup of water then scraped all 6 on one side lightly and put them into their respective perlite cups.

I'll plan to mist them a couple of times per day and then check on them in a week.

Checked on them Day 7, no roots. Day 10 saw roots on 4/6, two each on pre-trimmed and not pre-trimmed. The best of the 4 was pre-trimmed, second best was on a non-pre-trimmed.

 All 4 had roots coming out from the scaped part, and I had roots nubs on some of the clones at the base where they were cut from the plant which should develop into roots in a day or two.

Conclusion: the pre-trimmed looks like it rooted maybe a day earlier but not enough to be material, but a light scraping is a definite keeper for my process.

Since I like the theory behind the pre-trim and the success of the light scraping, both will remain as part of my process.

Less deeply this round than last. Just deep enough to see the color change to a lighter shade of green. Not to the innermost layer, just a light scrape with the side of the blade. Probably would work great by stripping/peeling the lower node leaves down and off for those that trim the clone after cutting from the mother.

Last round I went right to the white-ish core and when they rooted they did so in the strip between the core and the top outside layer which is why I went shallower this round.

Today I had roots on the third pre-trimmed cut, and the third non-pre-trimmed went back in the perlite to keep my perfect record intact. The shorter cuts had slightly better roots than either of the longer ones, but not significantly.

I'm  really liking this approach. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom