Back to grow after 9 years and in need of help!

EnterTheGanjeon

Hello 420! So happy to be here, the community seems very nice and i really need some of your wisdom.

First thing first I did two grow over 9 years ago, needless to say I'm back and currently growing 8 quick one seedlings.

I'm doing a horrible mess! I did much better years ago.

1. I've been too dumb and not explored the new (to me) world of LEDs. Bought a cheap Niello UFO 300w COB CREE which actually drain just 125w and I discovered too late I did a mistake. But I can still return it so I absolutely need light advice, on LEDs and Quantum Board too. I know i need to invest mostly on lights (and yet I choose a cheap one...)

2. I'm trying to apply SoG on my grow, which I try to do with 6 of them in 5L air pots in a 60x60x140 tent. BUT is too much of an old Secret Jardin tent and i want to upgrade to a 80x80cm as soon as possible.

3. I'm currently running into every possible problem never experienced in my two previous grows: thrips, too much tall seedlings, not understanding the correct led distance.

Yeah, I'm messing all uo. Happy to be here!

Let us know how we can help...
@SmokeSara with Mars can hook you up with a 420 discount on a new tent/light combo at a reasonable price.
I have some recommendations if pest are giving you hell.

The best way to do that is start a grow journal where all your questions and answers are in one place. Also we need photos to really help with a lot of issues.

2. I'm trying to apply SoG on my grow, which I try to do with 6 of them in 5L air pots in a 60x60x140 tent. BUT is too much of an old Secret Jardin tent and i want to upgrade to a 80x80cm as soon as possible.
I think SOG is Hydroponics (correct me if I'm wrong) & SCROG is with other grow mediums. 6 plants in 5L air pots should be OK in that size tent.
With the Mars Hydro LED's I have you have a 50%, 75%, 100% option as far as brightness so you can put the lights closer to keep them short & bushy. I usually go 24" for the 1st week or 2 @ 50%, Then 18" for about 2 weeks @ 50%, Then I turn power up to 75% for the rest of veg time. Once in Flower I lower the light to 12" for 2 weeks @75% power, After that it stays at 12" @ 100% power. It's nice being able to step things up gradually.

SOG is normally run with clones, you run a lot of smaller clones in a space. Clones may only be 2 weeks from rooting but you may run 50 of them in a 4x4. Packed together they tend to grow a single large colas per plant.

I think SOG is Hydroponics (correct me if I'm wrong) & SCROG is with other grow mediums. 6 plants in 5L air pots should be OK in that size tent.

As I understand it, SOG is "Sea of green" with a bunch of small plants, and SCROG is "Screen of green" is bigger plants spread on a horizontai screen. Both can be very productive.

With the Mars Hydro LED's I have you have a 50%, 75%, 100% option as far as brightness so you can put the lights closer to keep them short & bushy. I usually go 24" for the 1st week or 2 @ 50%, Then 18" for about 2 weeks @ 50%, Then I turn power up to 75% for the rest of veg time. Once in Flower I lower the light to 12" for 2 weeks @75% power, After that it stays at 12" @ 100% power. It's nice being able to step things up gradually.

Thank you for the indication! I've to say I've a problem of too tall, lenghty seedlings and one of them even fall down just a couple of hours ago. Maybe is because I keep messing up with the LEDs distance, I've kept it close than 24 so far. Seedlings are developing fast, with the 3d couple of true leaves in developing but as I said they have tall, weak stem and I can't figure it out, since they've so big leaves.

Do you think the light could actually be a decent one? I still don't know LED's enough to know it. I read everywhere to avoid cheap chinese LED's, sadly I read that AFTER I bought this one. I suspect it has some fake reviews too, but is solid, made of metal and pretty good looking to me.

I'd use the light you have for cloning, seedlings and mamas. I lean toward Budget LED, as they are US made and vet owned. They have a 420 discount, too. I grew with HID for many years, and just switched to Budget 480w and two 100w bars, and am happy. All are adjustable. I'm new to SCROG, but am liking it. I grew strictly outdoors for the last several, and just started indoors again. There's a SCROG tutorial in my signature.

I'd use the light you have for cloning, seedlings and mamas. I lean toward Budget LED, as they are US made and vet owned. They have a 420 discount, too. I grew with HID for many years, and just switched to Budget 480w and two 100w bars, and am happy. All are adjustable. I'm new to SCROG, but am liking it. I grew strictly outdoors for the last several, and just started indoors again. There's a SCROG tutorial in my signature.

So would you discourage to use, let's say, a Mars Hydro TS 1000 QB for seedlings? Would be the risk of killing them even if something that powerful was at maximum height?

So would you discourage to use, let's say, a Mars Hydro TS 1000 QB for seedlings? Would be the risk of killing them even if something that powerful was at maximum height?
The Mars has a dimmable driver and you use a screwdriver, I think, while the Budget has a dial. Budget uses Samsung top of the line LEDs and a Meanwell driver which is also top. Both can be used for seedlings by adjusting height and intensity.

The Mars has a dimmable driver and you use a screwdriver, I think, while the Budget has a dial. Budget uses Samsung top of the line LEDs and a Meanwell driver which is also top. Both can be used for seedlings by adjusting height and intensity.

Good to know! Still a tons of thing that I don't know.
Anyway I would prefer to get rid of this cob cree if I can, to save some money, even if I get that is useful to own a proper light for seedlings. But I do not think I'll do any clone in the near future. I'm very interested in save some money if I can pick up togheter tent and light, still no clue of what brand model for both of them. Sadly not Gorilla tent, none of their model matches my spaces.

SOG is normally run with clones, you run a lot of smaller clones in a space. Clones may only be 2 weeks from rooting but you may run 50 of them in a 4x4. Packed together they tend to grow a single large colas per plant.
But wouldn't SOG be Hydroponics ONLY. I understand it's a bunch of small plants. But aren't those plants sitting on a Flood Table (The SEA) & therefore that's why it's called Sea of Green ?
SCROG on the other hand would be plants growing in Soil, Coco, etc. (No SEA) under a net.
Therefore being called a Screen of Green ?
The main goal of both are the same .... fill the grow area.
But this is how I understand the difference between SOG & SCROG.

But wouldn't SOG be Hydroponics ONLY. I understand it's a bunch of small plants. But aren't those plants sitting on a Flood Table (The SEA) & therefore that's why it's called Sea of Green ?
SCROG on the other hand would be plants growing in Soil, Coco, etc. (No SEA) under a net.
Therefore being called a Screen of Green ?
The main goal of both are the same .... fill the grow area.
But this is how I understand the difference between SOG & SCROG.
I don't think either SOG or SCROG are media limited. Wouldn't be the first time if I am wrong.

Just seems like I read that in one of my grow books before. I can't say I'm positively right either .... But it makes sense to me.
Living soil won't work as containers are small, but peat/perlite medias would. They are hydro though, so ...

Back
Top Bottom