Bag flush

Savvage61

I have a family member in serious condition my GG plant named Debra has a bad case of nute burn. being the professional grower I am I knew a little xtra FF NUTES would make my plant grow bigger and faster (this is SARCASM I learned a hard lesson ) she 2-3 weeks from Harvest :( Now I need to learn another lesson. How do I flush a 5gal grow bag ? if someone could point me to post or instruct me I would greatly appreciate it. I do try to find the answer first , But Im the kinda guy who looks for his glasses while wearing them.
Thx in advance

* im going to flush with distilled water will this leave my soil ph close 7?

The same way you flush a hard container, you just have to go slower so that the water goes thru instead of just gushing out the sides - 3x container volume.
That said, it shouldn't affect the pH of your soil a whole lot, but that isn't what you are looking for in this flush, you just need to remove excess salts (I presume). The pH of incoming fluids is what influences what your plant can get out of the soil, not the pH of the soil itself.

Afterward follow it up with a gallon of fresh nutes.

Take it to a laundry or bathtub to make it easier.

Stay safe
Bill
Kitchen sink, it was interesting at the stares I got when II went to the grocery store and got 18 bottles of distilled water I can see getting one of those distillers might not be a bad idea.

Afterward follow it up with a gallon of fresh nutes.
I had been stressing it was my ph I tested the runoff of the 2 I flushed 6.5 and 6.7 all this time .which gives me a little more confidence. I feed my plant on Thur and Sundays I was going to let things dry out a bit I plan on just starting with some half-strength big bloom and some Cal mag plus and hold off on the grow big and tiger bloom. one plant Im not adding anything I look at the trichomes and about half are milky and i see amber so Ill most likely harvest them by next week. does this seem like a good plan?

Hiya @Savvage61 ... hey, you don't need to use distilled water when you flush your plants. Just use tap water. You also don't need to worry about the pH of the water or the soil, because all you are doing is washing out the built up salts and any leftover nutes. When you go back later and add another round of nutrients, that is when pH is important, and you should always adjust your incoming fluids from then on to 6.3 pH. I also would like to mention that Fox Farms is a very scientifically designed nutrient system that works a whole lot better if you strictly follow the feeding recommendations on the soil feeding chart. This chart also tells you to flush a couple of other times during the grow too. It sounds like you are feeding too often and with the wrong nutes. You can fine tune this... just by following the directions, and then you will find out that Fox Farm is one of the best nutrient systems out there.

Hiya @Savvage61 ... hey, you don't need to use distilled water when you flush your plants. Just use tap water. You also don't need to worry about the pH of the water or the soil, because all you are doing is washing out the built up salts and any leftover nutes. When you go back later and add another round of nutrients, that is when pH is important, and you should always adjust your incoming fluids from then on to 6.3 pH. I also would like to mention that Fox Farms is a very scientifically designed nutrient system that works a whole lot better if you strictly follow the feeding recommendations on the soil feeding chart. This chart also tells you to flush a couple of other times during the grow too. It sounds like you are feeding too often and with the wrong nutes. You can fine tune this... just by following the directions, and then you will find out that Fox Farm is one of the best nutrient systems out there.
I really wish I would have read this before the flush, I should have known better I was following the schedule just adding extra Im one of those old guys who still hasn't learned after 60 yrs more, and bigger isn't always better. one thing I been wondering is about overfeeding On the FF nutes I feed them 2 times a week Thursdays and Sundays and I usually water never 2-3 days when they need it lets take 1 of my plants it is 2 weeks into flower when it got burnt it takes a 1/2 gallon of distilled water when I water, when I feed it I give it a 1/2 gallon of big bloom (3tsp per gallon) is that overfeeding? ( I screwed up with Grow big and Tiger Bloom and turbocharged the dose. I realize I have gone from how to flush to overfeeding but I have so many questions they just legalized weed in VA less than a year ago and for the first time in 45 yrs I am not an outlaw I was more into the supply and demand area. I am so overjoyed to be done with that .now in my old age I found I would much rather be a farmer and enjoy the fruits:bongrip:

I really wish I would have read this before the flush, I should have known better I was following the schedule just adding extra Im one of those old guys who still hasn't learned after 60 yrs more, and bigger isn't always better. one thing I been wondering is about overfeeding On the FF nutes I feed them 2 times a week Thursdays and Sundays and I usually water never 2-3 days when they need it lets take 1 of my plants it is 2 weeks into flower when it got burnt it takes a 1/2 gallon of distilled water when I water, when I feed it I give it a 1/2 gallon of big bloom (3tsp per gallon) is that overfeeding? ( I screwed up with Grow big and Tiger Bloom and turbocharged the dose. I realize I have gone from how to flush to overfeeding but I have so many questions they just legalized weed in VA less than a year ago and for the first time in 45 yrs I am not an outlaw I was more into the supply and demand area. I am so overjoyed to be done with that .now in my old age I found I would much rather be a farmer and enjoy the fruits:bongrip:
Sorry to contradict, but you are not following the schedule set out by FF. They clearly say on the feeding chart to feed ONCE a week. Many of us have around a 3 day span between waterings, and we know that soil can temporarily store some nutrients, so we feed every other watering, all throughout the grow, and this amounts to approximately once a week. f/w/f/w is how soil is designed to work, where you feed heavily on one pass and then give pH adjusted water on the next pass, so as to use up the leftover nutes now stored in the soil. This alternating feed and water keeps you from overfeeding and it helps to keep the soil free of leftover nutrients. So based on that alone, I know you are not following the feeding chart and that you are overfeeding. Checking the chart will also tell you that you should mostly be done with the grow big shortly after going into bloom.

Following the feeding chart will stabilize this grow. The three main nutrients need to be used in a carefully adjusted mix that changes a little bit for each week of the grow. This trio works together to give the plant exactly what it needs, when it needs it. Your giving big bloom only is a huge mistake, because big bloom has very little of the macro and micro nutrients that the plants need right now. Once you see how effective the system is, you will be sold, but so far you have not given those expensive nutes a chance to do what they do. Follow the feeding chart exactly, to the letter. Flush when they suggest to flush on one of your plain watering days, and by flush I mean to pump 3x the container size of tap water through there to clear things out. If you really want to supercharge a FF grow and get the juiciest buds you have ever seen, buy the 3 solubles as extra supplements, and use them as directed. If I hadn't gotten brave and went into organic gardening, I would still be using Fox Farm nutrients.

67CBC63E-5FD0-4162-8094-EEC0A869E7F9.jpeg
foxfarmsoil42_7.jpg

this might be the culprit and they have 3-4 varieties of the schedule that are all over the place.I have no idea which is up to date regardless I will be feeding 1 time a week. I am using 1/2 Ocean city and 1/2 Happy frog and a ton of perlite for my Medium. I read that happy frog/coco has a tendency to hold salt am I better off using the ocean city and perlite? till I get more experience is there any advantage to mixing them ? does photo or auto change feeding schedules? I hope I'm not annoying, asking so many questions things have changed since I took a handful of seeds and throw them in the field and cross my fingers

67CBC63E-5FD0-4162-8094-EEC0A869E7F9.jpeg
foxfarmsoil42_7.jpg

this might be the culprit and they have 3-4 varieties of the schedule that are all over the place.I have no idea which is up to date regardless I will be feeding 1 time a week. I am using 1/2 Ocean city and 1/2 Happy frog and a ton of perlite for my Medium. I read that happy frog/coco has a tendency to hold salt am I better off using the ocean city and perlite? till I get more experience is there any advantage to mixing them ? does photo or auto change feeding schedules? I hope I'm not annoying, asking so many questions things have changed since I took a handful of seeds and throw them in the field and cross my fingers
As you can see, Happy Frog is so completely different than an organic soil like Ocean Forest, that it requires a separate feeding chart. The soil feeding chart is the one that you need to follow for best results in most cases. I do note that this month's revision says to feed twice a week and up to twice a week. If you have a good watering frequency and you f/w/f/w, you will be doing fine and using the soil correctly.

When you mix these mediums together, it screws everything up. No chart is valid. Your soil is then a hybrid, and not one intentioned to be used by the scientists who designed it. I NEVER recommend blending soils. What I do instead is to layer soils. I commonly will start my seeds in solo cups, where the bottom half is good or even great soil, while the top is Happy Frog, designed originally to start seeds in. In my larger pots, I will put a supersoil in the bottom third and a good soil with thin layers of raw nutrient, worm castings, etc, in the pot as I build it up. This gives the roots in those specific areas a chance to specialize in what they find there, making collection that much more efficient. This can't happen in a blended soil. Keep in mind that in nature you find things in pockets... nature is not blended. Please feel comfortable to ask any question you have... I am here to help.

Photo or Auto makes no difference... a plant is a plant is a plant.

As you can see, Happy Frog is so completely different than an organic soil like Ocean Forest, that it requires a separate feeding chart. The soil feeding chart is the one that you need to follow for best results in most cases. I do note that this month's revision says to feed twice a week and up to twice a week. If you have a good watering frequency and you f/w/f/w, you will be doing fine and using the soil correctly.

When you mix these mediums together, it screws everything up. No chart is valid. Your soil is then a hybrid, and not one intentioned to be used by the scientists who designed it. I NEVER recommend blending soils. What I do instead is to layer soils. I commonly will start my seeds in solo cups, where the bottom half is good or even great soil, while the top is Happy Frog, designed originally to start seeds in. In my larger pots, I will put a supersoil in the bottom third and a good soil with thin layers of raw nutrient, worm castings, etc, in the pot as I build it up. This gives the roots in those specific areas to specialize in what they find there, making collection that much more efficient. This can't happen in a blended soil. Keep in mind that in nature you find things in pockets... nature is not blended. Please feel comfortable to ask any question you have... I am here to help.

Photo or Auto makes no difference... a plant is a plant is a plant.
Spoken like a soil scientist! Check out 'Soil Horizons'.

Another note on flushing, warm water can help dissolve and remove built up salts better than cold.

Thank you very much you have no Idea the things I have learned from ya'll I look forward to implementing my new-found knowledge

I have 2 more questions lol every time you all teach me something it opens other doors in my head lol
1 my GG plant I have a lot of burnt leaves I have read (not here) to pull burnt leaves or if small cut bad spot this Week 8 for auto. just becuase I flush it will it take a couple days to fully effect the plant
2. getting ready to Gereminate for 2 plants a Gelato auto and another GG auto this time I am using straight-up FF ocean city maybe layered happy frog top layer for now the only thing I am going to add is coarse and fine perelite any other additives I should add to the medium before I transplant the seedling

BTW good morning all
Thx again

I have 2 more questions lol every time you all teach me something it opens other doors in my head lol
1 my GG plant I have a lot of burnt leaves I have read (not here) to pull burnt leaves or if small cut bad spot this Week 8 for auto. just becuase I flush it will it take a couple days to fully effect the plant
2. getting ready to Gereminate for 2 plants a Gelato auto and another GG auto this time I am using straight-up FF ocean city maybe layered happy frog top layer for now the only thing I am going to add is coarse and fine perelite any other additives I should add to the medium before I transplant the seedling

BTW good morning all
Thx again

If they are completely toasted I remove them. If there’s minor damage I leave.

The way I see it for deficiencies is that the plant already knows where to grab that stored nutrient when it needs it, so rather than cutting it and making it find another path, I just leave it alone.

With toxicities they usually get burned or fall off on their own.

The only thing I add to FF Ocean Forest is perlite. The times I’ve added earthworm castings or anything else, I end up have toxicity issues.

The only time you need to add anything besides perlite to FF is if you are reusing old soil and amending it, or going full organic mode.

I was checking my plants this morning and I don't think I did a good enough flush a 5-gallon bag and a 3 gal plastic pot I used 3 gallons of distilled water, I am considering trying to flush again, Now that I know I can use tap water I want to try a warm slow flush. I also considered Potassium deficiency but I have been using big bloom since week 2 then added grow big at week 6 . about 2 days after my flush I did a Half dose of big bloom I wish I had pics but unless it is under Burple light you can not see the damage my Blueberry is Beautiful with a huge round solid cola almost ready to harvest
what next?
Thx

I was checking my plants this morning and I don't think I did a good enough flush a 5-gallon bag and a 3 gal plastic pot I used 3 gallons of distilled water, I am considering trying to flush again, Now that I know I can use tap water I want to try a warm slow flush. I also considered Potassium deficiency but I have been using big bloom since week 2 then added grow big at week 6 . about 2 days after my flush I did a Half dose of big bloom I wish I had pics but unless it is under Burple light you can not see the damage my Blueberry is Beautiful with a huge round solid cola almost ready to harvest
what next?
Thx
A proper flush that will wash the salts out of the soil is 3x the volume of the container. 5 gallon bag requires 15 gallons of water, 3 gallon needs 9 gallons. If you didn't do that, you didn't flush, you just watered heavily. Most of your potassium is going to come in the Tiger Bloom product... be sure to use that trio exactly as suggested in the feeding chart.

Emilya you have been so helpful. I will flush for real and let you know how things go
thank you

Emilya you have been so helpful. I will flush for real and let you know how things go
thank you
Be sure to follow up directly after flushing with a gallon of full feed pH’d to 6.2.

Back
Top Bottom