Bagseed DIY cabinet grow - Wonderberry - fall '09

Here is a picture of some pollen:
pollen2.jpg

In the upper left corner you can see a pollen sac and two bananas. The banana on the left is fresh, the one on the right is after air drying for about six or seven hours.

I have found that the bananas must be air dried prior to manually extracting pollen otherwise the pollen will not release from the plant matter. The pollen pictured is from approximately ten bananas or two pollen sacs. Using a high power magnifying lens, an Exacto blade and a pair of tweezers It took me approximately twenty minutes to extract that amount of pollen.

Here is a picture of some pollen:
pollen2.jpg

In the upper left corner you can see a pollen sac and two bananas. The banana on the left is fresh, the one on the right is after air drying for about six or seven hours.

I have found that the bananas must be air dried prior to manually extracting pollen otherwise the pollen will not release from the plant matter. The pollen pictured is from approximately ten bananas or two pollen sacs. Using a high power magnifying lens, an Exacto blade and a pair of tweezers It took me approximately twenty minutes to extract that amount of pollen.

Great work, is that enough or do you need to extract more?

Seeing as pollen is microscopic i must assume that would be enough pollen to create at least 50 seeds. I will continue to extract more as the days go on while hoping that the other bananas will open on their own soon. I have to get a decent amount together as I have promised pollen to a number of people for breeding with other strains. I expect to see a number of Annie Oakley crossed meds become available in California after a two to ten year stabilization period.

Seeing as pollen is microscopic i must assume that would be enough pollen to create at least 50 seeds. I will continue to extract more as the days go on while hoping that the other bananas will open on their own soon. I have to get a decent amount together as I have promised pollen to a number of people for breeding with other strains. I expect to see a number of Annie Oakley crossed meds become available in California after a two to ten year stabilization period.

Wouldn't that be something! I hope that works out!

A few pictures from tonight,

Trichs:
trichs13.jpg

trichs22.jpg

bushy girls:
bushes1.jpg

The next set of pictures is all the same plant.
POM1.jpg

POM2.jpg

POM3.jpg

POM_cola.jpg

POM_cola2.jpg

I am thinking about entering that one in the Plant Of the Month contest. I really like how many large colas it has. If I do enter it I want feedback as to which full plant photo I should use and which cola shot I should use. The photos I posted are the best that came out of about forty.

Anyone have any opinion?

The next set of pictures is all the same plant.
POM1.jpg

POM2.jpg

POM3.jpg

POM_cola.jpg

POM_cola2.jpg

I am thinking about entering that one in the Plant Of the Month contest. I really like how many large colas it has. If I do enter it I want feedback as to which full plant photo I should use and which cola shot I should use. The photos I posted are the best that came out of about forty.

Anyone have any opinion?

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice job HTL.. whoa, i nearly fell off my bed :goodjob:.. you can enter either of the first three pics that i quoted then a cola shot, there are some great entries this month, but I think you are definitly deserving to be running along side of them. Your ladies look nice bro. Fah real ;)

dro:popcorn:

nice colas man, did you LST that plant, or is it just falling over from the bud weight? Looks like you will have some great smoke on your hands shortly

Thanks for stopping in TheCriMsonK20. I LSTd all of my plants this grow and plan on continuing the practice in future grows. Most of that plant is held up by the other two plants when they are in my cabinet. When I take them out that plant is too heavy to stand on it's own.

Woodsman, I know you have been waiting patiently to hear about pollination. Well I tried to get pictures but was unable to hold the camera, plant and paint brush at the same time. I did manage to get these pictures for you though:
pollen3.jpg

brush.jpg

popcorn.jpg

I used the fine bristled paint brush to pick up the pollen from the bottom of the bottle I am keeping it in. I then held the canopy to the side to give me better access to the popcorn buds, some of which are pictured above. After gaining proper access I brushed the pollen onto the tips of the pistils protruding from the popcorn buds at the bottom of just one plant. The pistils grabbed the pollen like a magnet and I had to refill the paint brush for each flower I pollinated.

I only used about half of the pollen I have extracted so far and will be extracting more. I will also be cloning some of the small branches after the final part of the staged harvest. That way if something goes wrong and I don't get any viable seeds I will still have all of the genetics needed to try again.

Can the pollen be stored in a jar for future use?

Yup you can freeze it and it can last anywhere from 3-6 months, some ppl say even longer. But obviously it looses its potency over time...

:bravo: on venturing into breeding HTL :goodjob:

Thanks for stopping by everyone and good info DroJo. I am sure there are better conditions to store the pollen in and keep it fresh longer but I have not been able to experiment with this yet. I have it on the authority of my plant sciences professor that different pollens can be stored almost indefinitely in conditions as mild as sea level atmosphere at 72 degrees Fahrenheit and RH of 30% and as volatile as benzene suspension at near freezing temperature.

I am sure that the one laboratory licensed to conduct cannabis research in the U.S.A. has information on what the best conditions to keep pollen are but I doubt they would be willing to share the information.

Back
Top Bottom