BubbaHoTep's - Blue Dream - Cabinet - Soil - Grow 2015

I finally got around to maxing out my lights in the cabinet. Now up to 8x 23W CFL's. 12,800 lumens total, 6,400 for each plant or 4,267 lumens per square foot. I do have one more outlet to plug two more lights in, but I'm worried about temps getting too high with that many bulbs. I may add more anyway just to test, but that will be during flower and any additional bulbs will probably be side or bottom mounted to get light under the canopy.

A few more pics. Really looking forward to that flip! 15 days to go...

Now up to 8x 23W @ 5500K
WP_20150203_11_56_01_Pro.jpg

Wanda at 4.5 weeks of veg:
WP_20150203_11_56_13_Pro.jpg

Patti @ 3 weeks of veg (still working on LST to get her horizontal):
WP_20150203_11_56_20_Pro.jpg

Nice!:thumb: how much longer are you gonna veg for?

Hey JT, I'm looking at another 15 days of veg. So for the bigger plant that will be just shy of 7 weeks. For the smaller plant, about 5.5 weeks. Hoping for some white-pistil pre-flowers soon! :cheer:

how have you light proofed for 12/12? do you plan on a veg and flower chamber?

I've given a bit of thought to light-proofing. Using Velcro tape, air conditioning foam tape, moving the entire cabinet into a closet...and I settled on this amazing high-tech light blocking method! (haha): I have a large light-blocking curtain that I am going to mount around the cabinet that will stay closed during the dark period. I know, crazy tech, right? haha

This being my first cab grow, I only have the one cabinet. So no, just one chamber. If this one turns out successful , I have another identical cabinet that may very well become my flowering space. But that's a story for my next grow...

Edit: One thing I may do in the interim is make a small veg box out of a Rubbermaid tote that I have. This would be strictly for clones/seedlings to mature in while I wait on my current grow to get to harvest. It could also double as a 12/12 box to sex any plants currently in the cabinet. So many things I want to do, so little time. (And money!)

I made a snap decision tonight. I've decided that for my next grow, I don't want anything to do with the anxiety of waiting to see if a plant is male, female or hermie. I decided, nervously, to order some feminized seeds from a bank across the pond that has gotten some wonderful reviews here on 420 mag. Courtesy of Herbies, my next grow will consist of one or two of the following strains:

4x Fem White Widow X Big Bud
4x Fem Lemon Kush
Also came with one free Dinafem White Widow and 2 regular Afghani.

Being a huge WW fan, I'll probably start with two of them. Then, if I get around to building a second cabinet for flowering, I'll start two LK's once I flip the WW's.

Had to cut back on my lights. Temps in my cabinet were hitting 90F under 8 CFL's and my larger girl was showing signs of early heat stress. I removed one of the 5500K bulbs and watered both girls until they had run-off. (Watering is a day early.) Going to let them run with 5x5500K and 2x2700K for today and will see where the temps are later tonight. I think I need to look into a way to get another fan in there.

So, dropping down to 7 CFL's has stabilized my lights-on temps around 82F, right in the sweet spot. I know with CFL's, more light is better...but when it's bringing your temps up to 90F, more is bad! haha Within one day of switching lights my ladies have stopped feeling 'dry' to the touch and are no longer drooping. Yay! :circle-of-love:

I'm also leaning towards flipping a little sooner than planned. My electric bill has been sizable since starting this grow. Plus, both ladies have progressed nicely. Wanda could be flipped anytime I want...Patti still has a little catching up to do. She's showing 6 tops at this point. I think once she gets to 8-10, I'm going to flip. Maybe just a week away!

Wanda under 2x 23W @2700K, 5x 23W @5500K. Up to 14 tops.
WP_20150206_14_24_41_Pro.jpg

Patti under 2x 23W @2700K, 5x 23W @5500K. Showing 6 tops with a couple more starting to form.
WP_20150206_14_24_56_Pro.jpg

So, here's a question regarding LST if anyone is reading. I'm getting ready to flip to 12/12...probably within a week, and I'm not sure what to do about the tie-downs I have attached to the plants. Do I remove the tie-downs when I flip or do I leave them in place? Probably a simple answer but a few searches have turned up no answers.

Any input is appreciated!

I don't ever really top or LST but I'm pretty sure that you leave the tie downs on when you flower.

Leave it and let the girl fly.

Thanks for the input JT & bonsai. I kind of figured that you just leave the tie-downs in place, but since I'm using gardening wire, I guess I was just concerned that it might cut into the stems during stretch. This is why you ask for advice from fellow growers, haha! :thanks:

Update! Wanda - Day 37 Patti- Day 29

Here's a few pictures of the canopies. The first shot of each plant is just a canopy shot. The second ones have their "tops" marked in red.

Wanda's canopy in day 37.
WP_20150210_12_47_26_Pro.jpg

Wanda's tops marked in red. 17 that you can mostly see, there are about 5 more underneath that are still developing.
WP_20150210_12_47_26_Pro_Marked.jpg

Patti's canopy in day 29.
WP_20150210_12_47_54_Pro.jpg

Patti's tops marked in red. (You can only see 6 tops in this shot, there are 2 more developing ones underneath + several smaller ones that are in progress.)
WP_20150210_12_47_54_Pro_Marked.jpg

It's funny, the longer that Patti grows, the more I think she is going to be an Indica. Both of these seeds supposedly came from the same batch of Blue Dream. I guess this is what happens when you get bagseed from a relative. Really looking forward to getting my feminized seeds in the next week or so. Will be nice growing a crop when you know exactly what to expect.

Minor update. Defoliation #1.

I've been giving Wanda minor defoil during her veg whenever I saw low hanging fan leaves that were yellowing. I figured I would just trim away the stuff that wasn't providing energy anymore. Today, after reading some expert farmers journals, I decided that Wanda needed her lower growth trimmed up a bit. My CFL's are barely reaching the lower parts, so those leaves were probably just going to yellow and fall off anyway.

Patti also had several bud points that were being blocked out by some large, upper-canopy fan leaves. So I trimmed her up a bit too.

Trimmed fan leaves. The three on the left next to the smokes came from Patti. She had a couple of mutie leaves going on down by her stalk that I didn't even notice until this trim!
WP_20150211_11_30_59_Pro.jpg

Wanda under the canopy after trimming.
WP_20150211_11_31_29_Pro.jpg

The ladies after a minor trim.
WP_20150211_11_31_57_Pro.jpg

I was contemplating flipping the ladies today, but Patti has shown a few more bud points that need a little more time to develop. I'd like them to at least reach canopy level before flipping, so the wait goes on! (Another 5-7 days I'm thinking.)

So after a panic attack inducing 10 days, my feminized seeds have arrived! No green customs tape..phew!

A big thank you to Herbies Head Shop! Shipping was swift and packaging was stealthy enough so no suspicion was raised.

So ladies and gents, I can only fit 2 plants max in my cab. Any votes on what I should grow for my next batch?

-White Widow X Big Bud (Fem)
-Lemon Kush (Fem)
-Dinafem WW (Fem)
-Afghani (Regular)

WP_20150214_10_20_04_Pro.jpg

My current ladies are doing well. Still no sex organs showing. I'm going to flip them this Wednesday, showing or not! This will be 6.5 weeks veg for Wanda, 5 weeks for Patti.

I just did my Herbies order yesterday! My first time every ordering seeds. I ordered the White Widow x Big Bud as well. I can't wait to get her growing!:thumb:

It was my first time too...when they weren't here after 8 days, I admit, I started freaking out a bit...two days later and they were here. 48 hours of searching stories about people getting raided probably didn't help, lol.

I'm really looking forward to the WWxBB too. We'll have to compare our results! :volcano-smiley:

Back
Top Bottom