Beginner Auto Blue Mystic, 550W CFL, In Coco, Cupboard Grow

oogabooganbl

Hi, guys. I'm very excited.

I'm a first time grower living in Northern Europe attempting four autoflowering fem. Blue Mystic seeds from Nirvana. I'll be germinating the packet's 5, but I'll carry only four through. You never know... a dud seed, a jiffy pot that doesn't want to play nice. I'm creating this journal in the hope of being able to continue getting help from this great site that I've quitely lurked in the shadows of for the last few months whilst researching all of this, and to hopefully give a little something back. Maybe this journal may go on to help someone else out. Plus, I keep my habit a secret from certain people, so I'll also get the chance to actually share this experience with someone.

Here's my list and setup:

LIGHTING:

300W CFL DUAL SPECTRUM (2700K+6400K)
250W CFL (2700k)
(both fitted with reflectors)

SOIL AND NUTRIENTS:
BioBizz All Mix w/extra perlite for increased drainage.
BioBizz GROW
BioBizz BLOOM
BioBizz TOPMAX
General Hydroponics' BioRoot Plus
CalMag (if needed)

Grow Room:

Cupboard. Base is 70 cm x 70 cm, height it around a 2.3 metres, with the roof capping it off at around 1.5 metres.

Ventilation:

2x clip on 15w fans.
1x 3speed large oscilating fan.
1x small portable AC
1x small portable heater
NO FILTER.

I can't go drilling holes in my cupboard. Fortunately my apartment's longest wall is literally filled with two huge windows that open fully. I'll be opening both them and the grow room door which stands about a meter and a half from the closest window... I'll do this around twice a day for an hour just to encourage a complete flush off the heat from inside the box and a total change of oxygen. The air will be cold and dry (most days), but not so much as to dangerously lower temp in the grow box, I've already tested it. Thoughts?

My apartment runs at around an average of 22 degrees celcius (70 degrees for the North Americans amongst us) and at a humidity of around 55 percent. Can't complain.

Misc:
Jiffy Pellets/Peat Pucks for germination.
4xSeven litre(2 gallon) textile pots/smart pots/fabric pots.
PhKit + PhDown, water's pH is atrociously high here.
Drainage containers w/cookie cooling trays to create a little distance between the pot and drain.
Measuring droppers.
A shit load of foil for reflection
1xdehumidifier(don't anticipate needing it)

Relevant info:
Left out tap water w/phDown.
Allmix is pretty hot, so after the jiffy's are transplanted, I won't start nutes until I'm nearing the end of week two, when I'll start at 1/4 of the minimum dose to play it safe. Once I confirm that they won't get nutrient burn, I'll start to slowly step it up with the nutes.

Note: Photos are incomplete stages of the build. Light and seeds will arrive after the weekend, I plan to start on Wednesday, I just couldn't wait. Makeshift roof will also be well sealed with light proof tape.

For other beginners = this was all done for under 250 euros/200 pounds/260 US dollars.

Goals:

In 13 weeks I'm moving back in with my family for a semester and my goals is to have a few ounces sealed off and good to go to take home to get me through those 4 or so months. :)
If I can harvest and dry even 20g of decent enough bud (hopefully more than decent) per plant, without too much of anything going horribly wrong, I will be... I'll be over the moon.

Thanks for reading,

Lots of love,

OOGA BOOGA. :thanks:

15146733_10154590134592936_327751346_o.jpg
15153030_10154590134812936_2109050388_o.jpg
15153030_10154590134642936_157185102_o.jpg
15152872_10154590134697936_937352281_o.jpg
15133720_10154590134742936_337473685_o.jpg

Ooga booga yerself,, haha,, great starting post,, well done,,

Oh, btw,, this north American uses celcius,, cheers

Looking very well prepared for indeed,, and researched thoroughly,, a huge bonus and a great quality for success. I am on my tablet and dont post pics well from here, but i will, soon,, just to point out a couple things.

Check that soul for nutes,, one does not want any nutes in the soil, yet. Nutrition is tricky, even for the experienced,, go super easy to start, actually, nothing to start,, then easy when its nute time

Also,, plain white walls are far superior to tinfoil as far as reflecting goes,, tinfoil can cause hotspots on the plants, can burn possibly, white paint reflects just as well, if not better

Four plants growing in that space might also be an issue,, but sure will be cozy in there, ha

I will look and chat later,, great start,, cheers friend

Ooga booga yerself,, haha,, great starting post,, well done,,

Oh, btw,, this north American uses celcius,, cheers

Looking very well prepared for indeed,, and researched thoroughly,, a huge bonus and a great quality for success. I am on my tablet and dont post pics well from here, but i will, soon,, just to point out a couple things.

Check that soul for nutes,, one does not want any nutes in the soil, yet. Nutrition is tricky, even for the experienced,, go super easy to start, actually, nothing to start,, then easy when its nute time

Also,, plain white walls are far superior to tinfoil as far as reflecting goes,, tinfoil can cause hotspots on the plants, can burn possibly, white paint reflects just as well, if not better

Four plants growing in that space might also be an issue,, but sure will be cozy in there, ha

I will look and chat later,, great start,, cheers friend

Hey, bud! Thanks for the support and rapid response, I'm stoked, I was sure I'd be talking to no one for the first month at least :)
In regard to the nutes, absolutely. The all mix is packed with organic starting nutrients, so I won't be adding any myself until the third week, and even then I'll be starting slow and working my way up to the recommended dose.
I'm also worried about space. They're tiny little indica autos, and I'm going to LST the fuck out of them in the hopes of that I can train them into being perfectly out of each other's way. Do you think I should also look into trimming and cropping? Admittedly not something I've looked into. Please do post those pics by the way, any help from anyone is super appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

And nivek - you're right! I thought it was the whole continent who use Fahrenheit, but it's just the Americans. See? Learning things already, mate.

In regard to the nutes, absolutely. The all mix is packed with organic starting nutrients, so I won't be adding any myself until the third week, and even then I'll be starting slow and working my way up to the recommended dose.

yes, well, the nutes in the potting soil,, all recommendations on here suggest that plain soil, no nutes at all, is the way to go. i, personally , have seen several babies in other journals, lately, that are suffering from just that issue,, nutes in the soil when planting. it can sometimes be difficult for the wee ones to ever fully recover from such an event

P1160568.JPG

the pic just helps to demonstrate how close one can put a plant to a cfl. i actually keep my plants even closer than that,, even the babies,, i have one in my veg room, right now,, no more than an inch away. use your hand and check close to the light,, it is only warm,, warm is good,, just make sure plants are dry when close to the lights,

i trim and crop and defoliate and bend em and break em and treat em just awful,, me hands are all over em,, and they love it,, and me

so easy on the nutes please,, so easy to overdo

cheers friend

Beginner Auto Blue Mystic - 550W CFL - In Soil - Cupboard Grow

i, personally , have seen several babies in other journals, lately, that are suffering from just that issue,, nutes in the soil when planting.

I have too! It's funny with these forums. I've heard plenty say "I always start my autos in BB all mix straight from seed, never had a problem" and others swear that it's the devil. Here's my plan: consider swapping to the less hot light mix, or if not, mix an extra 25-30 percent perlite and transplant from the peat pellet after the plant has at least a good week of growth. As long as I can without the roots coming out the sides. Thoughts?

Also, you read my mind! My next topic of research was how close to keep the lights during the seedling phase. But you're saying as long as it passes the hand/heat test, it's all gravy?

The seeds contain all the nutrition required for the first few weeks of life, for the wee ones,,, these plants will grow just fine thank you with absolutely no nutes at all, yep,, until one gets the science of nute application down perfectly, one must err on the low end rather than the high end,, so vitally important, indeed

As for the lights, I use 23 watts exclusively, so can only talk from that end, tho I am sure other wattages are similar,, but my youngest sprout in my veg room, not a week out of the dirt yet, is right now less than one inch from the lights,, all other plants are,similar,, if a leaf tip touches a light, it might get burnt,, a great sign that the lights are close enough,, one leaf tip burnt is not gonna matter, at all

Check out the links in me siggy for working with cfls and also the watering link,, it is critical reading,, for sure,,

Cheers fer now friend,,

Good news, gang. We have seeds!
I must say, I'm very happy with Nirvana. Ordered Wednesday, shipped Thursday, arrived Monday. Granted I'm in Europe, but that seems fast nonetheless.
420-magazine-mobile1005260663.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1541339554.jpg

The grow begins on Friday! The lights are set to arrive very soon, likely tomorrow.

I also just started a Blue Mystic Auto grow journal. It will be my second auto (first was a Blueberry Domina). I will be watching your grow closely as we are using two different grow methods and I am interested to see how the end results compare!.

Main differences - I am not using an nutes/ferts/additives, LED vs CFL, different soils

Thanks for sharing your journey here...

:goodjob:

a finger nail chewer,, like me,, have been me hole life,,haha

yay for seeds,, how fun,, up and at em,, atom ant,,

Update!
The seeds were place in a glass jar of luke warm water with a pH of 6 and a quarter strength does of root stimulant tonight to begin germination. My lights arrive in the morning. It begins!

Another important update. This has now changed to a coco coir grow. I settled on soil months ago for the usual K.I.S.S (keep it simple stoner) reasons and after that I wasn't even open to researching other mediums. Until the weekend when curiosity hit and I read about the benefits and control you can have with coco. Thus the following were added to the collection:
Canna coco professional plus
Canna coco A+B nutrients.
Ca15 calcium supplement
Magnesium equivalent

Maybe a good lesson to other beginners to look into something before you write it off :)

Wish I had better photos for you guys. I'll get more tomorrow!

Til next time,

OOGA BOOGA

420-magazine-mobile536750767.jpg
420-magazine-mobile211353890.jpg

oh boy,, gettin er done, indeed..

best karma sent to the seeds.. two days max will be sproutin little white tails,, haha ,, what fun,, cheers

Back
Top Bottom