Best nutes for Deep Water Culture and why

I use Technaflora nutes. On my second grow I wanted to switch (remember this Rose?? HAHA we talked about it for two days I think) anyways I bought the "Recipe for Success Kit." As of today, I have NEVER had to PH a thing and NEVER had a single incident of nute lock. I still follow the same recipe and use them faithfully. They are inexpensive, easy to use, and best of all....effortless!!

Hi Longhorn,

Can you shed any more light on your 'recipe for success kit' - doing my first hydro grow and looking for something that is easy to manage for a first timer in a DWC setup :)

Alpha, I use Blue Planet Nutrients in all my dwc grows (and a small hempy grow) with much success. I go by the feed schedule also with zero problems. BPN is a sponsor here and gives us tons of support when we have issues or questions as well.

Re: Best nutes for Deep Water Culture and why...

well i use fox farm . its organic. um i use all three the grow big, big bloom, and tiger bloom. my ph doesnt fluctuate much . about .3 up over night. although when i add the nutes to the water it drops the ph quite a bit but my water comes out of the tap at 8.2 and after i add nutes its about 7.0 so i end up using alot of ph down. i havent completed a grow with it yet but so far im my experience i like the results. i bought 1 quart of each and have more than half of each left and im 3/4 through my first grow. very easy to dose using their feeding schedule. i also havnt tried their additives like open sesame or others . foxfarm is quite expensive.

do you still use fox farm nutes i was going to try the three on my dwc in my grow closet ive also been trying to find the ph perfect to keep my ph stable easier

do you still use fox farm nutes i was going to try the three on my dwc in my grow closet ive also been trying to find the ph perfect to keep my ph stable easier

Seriously, since switching to Blue Planet Nutrients from the expensive brands, I've never looked back. Ph is easy to handle. Just get the up/dn and a good meter and check daily. BPN works very well for me with much slower swings in ph and not nearly as expensive as the ph perfect line. There are tons of people here at 420mag using bpn also. And Cory, the owner of BPN answers any questions with regards to nutrient issues here on 420mag. He also has a degree in this shit.

well i use fox farm . its organic. um i use all three the grow big, big bloom, and tiger bloom. my ph doesnt fluctuate much . about .3 up over night. although when i add the nutes to the water it drops the ph quite a bit but my water comes out of the tap at 8.2 and after i add nutes its about 7.0 so i end up using alot of ph down. i havent completed a grow with it yet but so far im my experience i like the results. i bought 1 quart of each and have more than half of each left and im 3/4 through my first grow. very easy to dose using their feeding schedule. i also havnt tried their additives like open sesame or others . foxfarm is quite expensive.

you use their feeding chart?

so you used 2tsp of big bloom for the seedlings
you used grow big hydro 1 tsp? Following the hydroponic schedule?? i thought that would be too much to start out the plant

i would also like to use the chart but. i only know how to measure in tsps.. so far.. their schedule chart only has oz and mL..

1st concert was Three Dog Night, Foghat, RamJam and Edgar Winter with Rick Darenger with Rick Wakeman on Keys! 1973? in Davenport IA.

There were two outdoor concerts in 1973. July 23rd had Edgar Winter Group, Savoy Brown and Jo Jo Gunne. August 20th had Three Dog Night, T-Rex and Snail. A lighting truss nearly fell on Marc Bolan that night.

Age old organics are awesome in hydro, they are stronger organic based nutrients.... if you are into more technical stuff and I'd just get raw soluble powder, I bought RAW by NPK but if you look up the ingredients you can see they just mark em up, potassium sulfate powder, monoammonium phosphate powder, silica powder, calcium nitrate, humic acids, b1 powder with magnesium phosphate, yucca powder, you can get pounds of each for liek 10 bucks online, and you will never ever need to buy nutrients again. these are concentrated so its like 1/16th to 1/8th of a teaspoon per gallon.... nice just putting a half teaspoon in at a time in my res, really easy
20160528_170928.jpg
20160527_171054.jpg

If you change the buckets once a week then PH perfect is a great product if you prefer to keep it longer its better to look for a different product.

For best plant growth with ANY nutrient solution its suggested to change it out weekly to give the plants the right balance of nutrients as they consume them at varying rates making for too much of one of the NPK's and not enough of the other.

Its hard to be wasteful dumping it on the yard plants will make it feel less wasteful and it is. The drain is a waste.

I'm using general hydroponics master series with Calmag and great white root booster she is about 6 weeks old running 300 watt led I change my Rez weekly and only have to DAN my ph every 3-5 days so far general hydroponics is all I have used and I like it but I haven't pushed it to hard to have any burn now I just need o k ow how much is to much and it's not to expensive and I also water my yard and ever plant in the house with my end bucket there is always nutes life about 300 ppm worth
420-magazine-mobile1978692676.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Couldn't one use Flying Skulls Z7 water treatment for this instead of worrying about flushing during the grow. I hear this stuff is amazing and works for both organic and regular nutes.... Just curious, as I am looking at trying Z7 myself....

The problem with that idea is your plants do not consume the various nutrients in equal portions

This leads to unbalanced nutrient profile and is why pros dump it

If your adding supplements and this and that the chances of build ups increases.

So you can rock the same tank threw the grow mode but its not ideal the plant will deal with it

A better approach is to let the plants drink up most of the nutrients before you dump and refresh rather then dump a full tank

Not sure how big your tank is but the bigger it is the more it costs to swap , with that in mind a tank refresh every two weeks is a good compromise between the plants health and economy

I run 15L in my buckets. With the four plants I have going now, just getting on with budding, it isn't unusual for them to drink 15L or more in a week each. With crap for tap water I don't mind weekly swaps. I don't feed nearly what is recommended though.

It would be hard to dump out a live tank with microbes and enzymes galore

It may well be better if people with bene's leave some of the old nutrients in there , keep the herd going.

I have been thinking on it and the instruction to dump so early could be because some growers have hundreds of plants which could cause a unbalanced tank fairly fast.

I am going to try a 10 day tank swap out schedule mostly to add fresh water conditioner regularly to avoid water borne problems.

I am not trying to confuse anyone , it can be confusing trying to figure this shit out accurately.

I went my first grow with only one change but i do weeklys now. Like rifle, i dont feed nearly what AN recommends and since ive been using pondzyme for my main bacteria supply(dirt cheap) dumping on a weekly basis doesnt break the bank. I have a small piece of sea sponge i keep in the tank so my bacteria have a place to colonize. Seems to work well. It allows me to run very little of an already cheap product through the grow with great, healthy root growth. Even when my water temps get up there a little.
Im playing around with a lower water level this time too. I want to see those beautiful fishbone roots this time. The new pump/aerator combo im using make such awesome, fine bubbles and the 5 or 6 inches of air space i have in there is a misty wonderland for root growth. I usually only keep like 2 or 3 inches of an air gap.
How low do you guys keep your water levels?

Back
Top Bottom