Between grows, planning for the next one in the middle of winter

I've spent a lot of time thinking about growing. If you've seen the meme about the couple in bed and the woman is driving herself crazy worrying about her man's silence and thoughtful expressions, thinking he must be up to no good and find out he's over there thinking about his boat or car. Well, I do that about growing weed.
My personal production grows are hydroponic flood and drain. I have two rooms, in the past I had one room with a 400w MH for veg and another room with a 600w HPS. I have replaced the lights with HLG 600R LEDs. And I added a scrog screen to what once was my veg room, since I can now run both rooms from little rooted clone to harvest. This new opportunity has opened up several new possibilities. One I can grow a different strain on each side. Growing different strains in the same tray can cause it's own problems, like different grow rates and different harvest times. I used to run into timing problems moving from the veg room to the flower room. Not on the first run but plants in the veg room on the second run would always be ready to flower before the ones in the flower room were finished. This is one reason my scrog screen was used more for structural support and spreading limbs than weaving limbs through it.
I've started my mother/donor plants for this seasons grow. Vanilla Kush(hybrid indica) and Hawaii Maui Waui (sativa).
Now getting to my ruminations, every thing I've read about the MW tells me it will be ideal for the scrog. Having about a one month stretch at the beginning of flower, so veg it to the screen and then flip and weave for several
weeks or until full and let it go. I am not as sure about the Vanilla Kush. It's supposed to be a short bushy plant naturally. If I want to really scrog it or just use my screen for spread and support. With a short low stretch strain, should I let the plant grow to the height I want before flipping?
My tray tops now have four holes instead of six. The holes are at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions instead of the 6 holes in a dice pattern.

Rooms 12-2021 (2).JPG

Rooms 12-2021 (3).JPG

you can flip the indica anytime you want past node 4. you could use the screen as is, lower it, or switch to a quadline or other training method.

you can flip the indica anytime you want past node 4. you could use the screen as is, lower it, or switch to a quadline or other training method.
I missed the reply a couple of years ago and didn't notice it was old before replying. :rolleyes: I grew the Vanilla Kush and Hawaii Maui Waui. They ended up as good smoke with the Vanilla Kush being better IMO. :hmmmm: The Hawaii Maui Waui ended up with a nutrient problem, that in hindsight was the Calcium uptake problem I experienced with the current Colombian Gold grow.:hmmmm::oops: I was giving them enough calcium, I was just running the PH too low for the strain and stage of development.:hmmmm: I am going to shoot for a PH of 6.0 from now on. :) I don't have a lot of trouble dialing in the PH and keeping it steady. I just need to dial in the right PH.:rolleyes::bong:

I missed the reply a couple of years ago and didn't notice it was old before replying. :rolleyes: I grew the Vanilla Kush and Hawaii Maui Waui. They ended up as good smoke with the Vanilla Kush being better IMO. :hmmmm: The Hawaii Maui Waui ended up with a nutrient problem, that in hindsight was the Calcium uptake problem I experienced with the current Colombian Gold grow.:hmmmm::oops: I was giving them enough calcium, I was just running the PH too low for the strain and stage of development.:hmmmm: I am going to shoot for a PH of 6.0 from now on. :) I don't have a lot of trouble dialing in the PH and keeping it steady. I just need to dial in the right PH.:rolleyes::bong:

what do you run for media now ? and how often are you set to feed ? a lot of issues on a table can be smoothed out with multiple feeds per day.

it's a nice table.

what do you run for media now ? and how often are you set to feed ? a lot of issues on a table can be smoothed out with multiple feeds per day.

it's a nice table.
I only have the clay pebbles in the net pots. The tray contains no media. :) The roots just lay there taking in what O2 they desire, while soaking wet between feedings. I flood for 15 minutes of every two hours during lights on. :) I have it come on once or twice during lights out. Probably doesn't need it, but I feel better. :rolleyes: The pvc tray keeps the light off the roots.:)

I've had a few grows that start showing Calcium problems into middle late flower. I have always kept my reservoir below 6.0 and think that combined with the LEDs is probably causing it. I read somewhere but can't remember where, that LEDs can cause a need for greater Calcium, than the HIDs I used to run. That's when I started hydro and kept the res. below 6.0 with no issues.:)

I only have the clay pebbles in the net pots. The tray contains no media.

your ph is high for hydroton. keep it closer to 5.8 and things will improve a bit. 6.0 isn't bad but you could be missing the window on some of the nutes.

I've been keeping my PH under six for years. :) It was one of those hydro maxims. I didn't have any Calcium problems that I remember running HPS lights.:hmmmm:
I'm on my 2nd year with the LEDs and have had Calcium issues in mid to late flower on several grows now. :rolleyes: I dismissed it as a Calcium problem because I knew I was supplying enough.:hmmmm: But I didn't consider the PH being too low and Calcium uptake being throttled. :oops:
It may be more of a problem running LEDs turned up high, with low PH, during mid to late flower.:hmmmm::)

I'm on my 2nd year with the LEDs and have had Calcium issues in mid to late flower on several grows now. I dismissed it as a Calcium problem because I knew I was supplying enough. But I didn't consider the PH being too low and Calcium uptake being throttled.

it isn't throttled, they actually use more under led. most led grows need calmag from about mid veg forward. i normally start with a half dose and will adjust if necessary. some media is harder on calmag as well.

it isn't throttled, they actually use more under led. most led grows need calmag from about mid veg forward. i normally start with a half dose and will adjust if necessary. some media is harder on calmag as well.
I was using 60ml CalMag+ in 17gal reservoir. On their bottle, I believe the max was 80 something ml for 17gal. :hmmmm:

I agree they need more:)and if this chart is correct. It's an old one, and my PH always staying below 6.0 and probably being more 5.6-5.8 on average, then when they needed it most, Calcium was being restricted.:hmmmm:

Nute PH uptake chart.jpg

Back
Top Bottom