Boo’s Perpetual Grow Journal

Before I spray anything with oil in it (like Green Cleaner, Dr Bronners, Safer Insecticidal Soap) on a plant with pistils, I'd try 70% iso mixed 1:9 with water. Oil sprays will brown the pistils if left to dry, which may be purely cosmetic or may slow the growth of the calyxes bracts. I'm still working to figured that out.

Take off a leaf, check the underside with a loup for bugs. Spray with the iso/water mix. Let dry. Check for bugs again. If they're dead, stick with that.

If you go with an oil spray I would wash it off 20 minutes after use to keep pistil damage to a minimum.

Whatever you go with, stay clear of pyrethrins, and spray every 3 days for at least a couple of weeks to break the life cycle.

Before I spray anything with oil in it (like Green Cleaner, Dr Bronners, Safer Insecticidal Soap) on a plant with pistils, I'd try 70% iso mixed 1:9 with water. Oil sprays will brown the pistils if left to dry, which may be purely cosmetic or may slow the growth of the calyxes bracts. I'm still working to figured that out.

Take off a leaf, check the underside with a loup for bugs. Spray with the iso/water mix. Let dry. Check for bugs again. If they're dead, stick with that.

If you go with an oil spray I would wash it off 20 minutes after use to keep pistil damage to a minimum.

Whatever you go with, stay clear of pyrethrins, and spray every 3 days for at least a couple of weeks to break the life cycle.
Thanks so much She’d. Fortunately I haven’t been able to find 70% or any percent iso here for months as people have been hoarding. any second option? We are in the midst of a massive storm cell right now.....just watched my two outdoor Cindys get blown over and roll down the hill.....grrrrr. I just supercropped the big one A few days ago. Actually, most of the holder stayed in place despite the roll, but lots of broken bud sites. Deep breath. Once the lightning eases Ill grab my loupe. Today s my hubby’s 60th birthday so we made a road trip and got home just in time for the storm. Yippie!,,,

:happy-birthday: to Mr Who!

I thought maybe you had some iso from pre-covid. We have found some off-brand 70% stuff lately in grocery stores, so keep checking! In the meantime, you can see if you can find some Green Cleaner (from central coast garden. com rather than the stuff they sell for cleaning the house).

You can also try Dr Bronners unscented castille soap spray. As I mentioned, with any oil spray, rinse shortly after use when in flower.

The rain has subsided and I have iso. I believe I need to spray the shit out of the undersides of both plants from bottom to top, and also the top to bottom? Do I need to spray down the inside of the tent also ( I would like to)? It is lights out here in 54 minutes, there is no way I can get all that done in that timeframe. How much more damage will it do if I wait 12+ hours?

I go 1 part iso to 9 parts water, but 1:10 should work too. I just fill a spray bottle with 18oz of water and add 2oz of iso.
Definitely bugs underneath the four leaves I chose. Some I could see with the naked eye, more with the loupe. The discoloration on the tops of the leaves is directly related to the bugs hanging out on the underside, correct? How dire is my situation at this point in time? :oops:
Time is of the essence, as they reproduce faster than bunnies and are not anywhere near as cute.
The rain has subsided and I have iso. I believe I need to spray the shit out of the undersides of both plants from bottom to top, and also the top to bottom? Do I need to spray down the inside of the tent also ( I would like to)? It is lights out here in 54 minutes, there is no way I can get all that done in that timeframe. How much more damage will it do if I wait 12+ hours?
The underside is where they live, so hit there. Spray the tent if you have enough iso. Don't breathe this stuff in, as iso and lungs aren't a good combination. 12 hours should be okay if you need to wait, but it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to soak the plants.

Make sure the fans are on high to dry them out quickly.

Make sure they're soaked to runoff and you may get an extra day!
And I DID get an extra day!
Thank you for triggering my “before COVID” memory! I basically had two of everything between the two households.
:happy-birthday: to Mr Who!
Thank you for that. I was a very low key birthday, but fun nonetheless. :love:
The underside is where they live, so hit there. Spray the tent if you have enough iso. Don't breathe this stuff in, as iso and lungs aren't a good combination. 12 hours should be okay if you need to wait, but it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to soak the plants.

Make sure the fans are on high to dry them out quickly.

Thanks so much for the motivation. I pulled both out onto the deck, sprayed them from the bottom to the top, spinning them gradually and then did it again from the middle to the top. I had enough left to quickly spray the tent (spider wasn’t happy - should I get rid of him?). I put them back in and the lights we’re turning off just as I was zipping up.

Thanks everyone for your help today. fingers crossed I can turn this around quickly....:circle-of-love::thanks:

“Spinosad Products (safe & organic) – Spinosad products are organic and unlike many other spider mite pesticides, completely harmless to pets, children, and plants. Unlike many insecticides, you can spray spinosad heavily on leaves and roots with basically no negative effects. Spinosad products can be used directly to kill spider mites on contact, but can also be used when watering plants to systematically kill spider mites via the roots. Spinosad can also be effective at fighting caterpillars, thrips, and many other marijuana pests.

Can be used both as a topical spray like Azamax and Mighty Wash, and can also be used directly at the roots. Spinosad is an organic insecticide made from the fermentation of a specific soil bacteria (actinomycete Saccharopolyspora spinosa) and kills spider mites via ingestion or contact by affecting the insect’s nervous system. Spinosad can be a good choice for organic and outdoor growers, because it is very toxic to spider mites, but is less toxic to many beneficial arthropods.”

I had ordered the Monterey stuff last week already, I have Green Cleaner coming, and will Continue to use the iso. So it looks like I have a varied approach in the makings... a little bummed out about the indoor and outdoors Cindys this morning. :(

I am thankful, however, that I don’t have the Zkittles or Bruce Banner seedlings in the Grow space yet...I am going to check them though! :rolleyes:

A varied approach is good. So far I’ve used the Spinosad as a spray and a soil drench, along with some Castile soap with my current plants. It killed the spider mites and has kept them away, so it seems to be working for me. Good luck.

I’ve been trying to figure out how I got the mites. Clearly they are from me, but where did I get them? Dog? Flowers and garden vegetable I tend to everyday? Outdoor Cindys? Check. Took me a couple hours to figure it out since I like doing everything absolutely the hardest way ever.... Spider mites on them too, not quite as bad, but they got a good spraying too. I guess it will be a family affair for the next couple months.

on the outdoor plants, if it were me and I had the energy (it’s not and I don’t, but if!) I would spray Them down too to bottom inside out with the hose morning and night to physically “knock off” as many as possible. I’d do this as well as the targeted product spraying.

If I could take the indoor plants out and do that to them too I probably would, but that’s a trickier proposition.

You’ll sort it Boo. Have faith! I do!

would spray Them down too to bottom inside out with the hose morning and night to physically “knock off” as many as possible. I’d do this as well as the targeted product spraying.

If I could take the indoor plants out and do that to them too I probably would, but that’s a trickier proposition.
You know, I do have the ability to do that with the outdoor and indoor plants. It will add to my normal watering routine but it’s a pretty simple thing to do if it will help me save them. :)
You’ll sort it Boo. Have faith! I do!
Thanks Amy, I needed that. I’m really proud of the way the plants in the tent look right now and I am gonna try to save them as best I can. :green_heart:

I bought a “Solo 418” 2 liter hand held pump sprayer for my plants. They also make a 1 liter model. They work great for our plants. Sure beats those small non-pressurized sprayers that you have to keep squeezing the trigger.

The indoor and outdoor Cindys both got sprayed down (up) with water early this morning. It took several hours for them to dry, which makes me wonder whether it is feasible to do it twice a day based on lights out and temperature in the evenings. I can easily do it, just wondering if it’s worth letting the (indoor) plants sit outside for hours to dry - and potentially get more bugs in the process?

I relocated the two outdoor gals back to the space behind the Playhouse. That allows me to see them a little more clearly, gives them the most sun at the moment, and also puts them in a position where I can rinse them (and others) easily. The bigger one that I supercropped a few days ago and also got tossed across the field on Friday is not super happy. She had 7 (?) bamboo stakes holding the bent branches and was about 6’ wide. She didn’t roll very well, and it is showing...:oops: On a positive note, I got to practice a pretty darned big supercrop! The other one is and always has been tall and sleek. My previous supercrop, along with the hurl that she took on Friday has made her into a cactus looking shape. She was loading Pre-flowers and stacking beeeautifully, but the toss she took has changed that -she is also a little beat up - and I feel like the branches are a little too close now. Iam wondering if I should crop her quick..:hmmmm: Will post a pic hopefully tonight. Regardless, I upped the MC to 5.5 grams because their unhappiness looks more to me like “bruising” vice too much juju.

While the plants were out of the tent drying this morning I went ahead and added the extension onto it. It poses a “design” challenge in my short little space but it needed to be done, especially if I am going to put a ventilation system in. It also allows me to raise the lights as I need. I was thankful that the weather was slightly cooler and less humid while I was getting that done, and thankful that it went off without a glitch.

Finally, my Zkittles and Bruce Banner seedlings are doing well and have been enjoying the opportunity to be out in the sunshine (especially the Z). They got their first feeding today of MC (1/2 of the recommended just to be safe this time).
Still waiting for my delivery from AutoSeeds....:smokin:
That’s it for now. If you read this whole thing then thank you! :thanks:

stay safe and stay stoned.

Hey Boo. Sorry to hear about about ur ladies going for a tumble. Is there any way to secure them from getting blown over, or have you already done that?

Also, when I Spray for bugs, I start at the top and work my way down. If there are bugs at the top, I don’t want them getting getting washed down and lodged on any of the lower branches, which may happen if you wash from bottom to the top. Just a suggestion.

I also dust the soil surface with food grade diatomatious earth. It can also help protect from bugs along with spraying.

Hey Boo. Sorry to hear about about ur ladies going for a tumble. Is there any way to secure them from getting blown over, or have you already done that?

Also, when I Spray for bugs, I start at the top and work my way down. If there are bugs at the top, I don’t want them getting getting washed down and lodged on any of the lower branches, which may happen if you wash from bottom to the top. Just a suggestion.

I also dust the soil surface with food grade diatomatious earth. It can also help protect from bugs along with spraying.
Thanks Big D. I have DE on the way. Yes, the ladies are in a much more secure location now! I will try your wash method next time I do it!

I have DE on the way.
A few things to keep in mind when using DE:
• It only works when it's dry, so if you use it on top of the soil it's only going to work when it completely dries out
• Don't get it on flowers, as it's not a good thing to inhale when you smoke them. And because it's incredibly fine powder, it will work it's way into the buds and not wash out at harvest.
I think I spray from the top down as well
I spray from the bottom up (since I'm spraying the undersides of the leaves). That way, any overspray from the lower leaves is already killing the bugs above!

Back
Top Bottom