Boo’s Perpetual Grow Journal

Well. We lost power yesterday evening for about 2 hours. It was early evening but it stretched through the time period when the Cindys in the tent start their 12 hours of darkness. I zipped them up at 8 and didn’t think about the timer being stopped on the time the power went off.....I checked on them at 8 this morning and the lights didn’t come on - that is when I realized my stupid mistake. So I think that sometime around 10 pm the lights came back on, full power for 2-3 hours. Shit. I know I can’t do anything about it now but, anyone else ever have something like that happen and if so, what was the final outcome? :(

I took this pic yesterday morning. They are 21 days post flip.
208FD05F-7A59-416E-86F9-2694456E57F5.jpeg

Hi Boo! Hopefully one light glitch like that won’t bother them too much! I’ve never had that happen but I have heard of it and am fairly sure your ‘event’ should be a minor one.

when I grow outside, my plants start turning And showing preflowers from early January, which is the equivalent to your July so I’d say things are on track and maybe that one is just super fast. I don’t think there’s a risk of revegging or anything at this stage so, on with the flowers!
:ciao:

Since the transition to flower outside is so much slower than with a sudden flip to 12/12 I don't see any harm in waiting a week, but I also don't see a reason to wait as an increase in K is what they'll be looking for about now.
Hi Boo! Hopefully one light glitch like that won’t bother them too much! I’ve never had that happen but I have heard of it and am fairly sure your ‘event’ should be a minor one.

when I grow outside, my plants start turning And showing preflowers from early January, which is the equivalent to your July so I’d say things are on track and maybe that one is just super fast. I don’t think there’s a risk of revegging or anything at this stage so, on with the flowers!
:ciao:
Hi Amy, thanks for your input. I will keep an eye on them. :thanks:

Since the transition to flower outside is so much slower than with a sudden flip to 12/12 I don't see any harm in waiting a week, but I also don't see a reason to wait as an increase in K is what they'll be looking for about now.
One question (for anyone who cares to answer!). The outdoor Cindys are taking a gallon every other day - it has been mid to high 90‘s here for a couple of weeks and it is continuing. I fed the one with pre-flowers at 1/2 the recommended amount of Mega Crop yesterday (2.5 grams/gal) and will continue to increase as she will allow. Question is: should I be giving nutes every time I water or will that be too much? Hopefully that makes sense...

Hi Boo! I grow outdoors, in fabric pots, in soil also. It’s been hot and humid here too. When watering with MC I am doing a feed/feed/feed/water. I try to get between 10-20% run off. There is thread on here that I believe @InTheShed started, that was a discussion he had with a Pro Mix guy. The quote that I remember from that thread was:

“Generally, a good practice...is to irrigate with fertilizer solution three times and do the fourth irrigation with plain water to leach excess nutrients/salts. This would be applicable to all growing media.”

Also, about once a month on one of the water only days, I put 1 tablespoon per quart of Monterey Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad in the water as a soil drench for spider mites, aphids, etc. There is some debate as to the effectiveness of this, but so far I haven’t seen any negative results.

Hi Boo! I grow outdoors, in fabric pots, in soil also. It’s been hot and humid here too. When watering with MC I am doing a feed/feed/feed/water. I try to get between 10-20% run off. There is thread on here that I believe @InTheShed started, that was a discussion he had with a Pro Mix guy. The quote that I remember from that thread was:

“Generally, a good practice...is to irrigate with fertilizer solution three times and do the fourth irrigation with plain water to leach excess nutrients/salts. This would be applicable to all growing media.”

Also, about once a month on one of the water only days, I put 1 tablespoon per quart of Monterey Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad in the water as a soil drench for spider mites, aphids, etc. There is some debate as to the effectiveness of this, but so far I haven’t seen any negative results.
Hi BigD13! Thanks so much for your response! I have not been doing that at all, so it’s very helpful info. Next watering cycle (likely tomorrow) I will give them straight water and start the feed/feed/feed/water cycle. I need to find that thread with the Promix guy, I’ve got questions about that too! Thank you again. Stay cool and stay stoned! :roorrip:

It maybe in this discussion.

It maybe in this discussion.

I believe it is - I think I’ve read it before....been getting stoned a lot lately..short term memory loss. ;)
Geez, it was 100 degrees today and still in the 90s and it’s past 6 pm. Both Cindys are parched. I’m in the process of giving them a slow cool water only drink. This wet and dry cycle doesn’t seem healthy for them. They have leaves yellowing. Even the two in the tent are feeling the heat. Ugh.

Hi,Boo!
Question is: should I be giving nutes every time I water or will that be too much?
That's what I do- nutes every time. I water to apx 50% runoff- the pot only soaks up half a gallon, but I always mix up a gallon at a time, so I pour it all through.... I figure that's enough runoff to wash the old stuff out of the soil.

They have leaves yellowing.
Maybe I missed it, but is there a reason you're only feeding MegaCrop at 50% recommended strength?

@carcass I was just thinking the same thing. Boo posted pics of her plants yesterday (post #104). From what I can see, the plants look good, but you can’t see all of the plant. As you pointed out, she said in the post above yours, that she has “leaves yellowing”. I don’t think it’s the wet/dry cycle. I think it’s time to bump up the MC.

Hi guys. Thanks for reaching out. I actually have 4 Cinderella’s. 2 in my 2x4 tent and 2 outside in my garden. The two in the tent are in bloom (light switched 21 or so days ago) and I’ve been feeding them and the 2 outdoors with the Dynagrow brand of foliage and bloom nutes. I also bought a bag of MC a month or two ago but haven’t used it until yesterday - on one of the outdoor Cindys that is pre-flowering now. I figured since I’m running out of the Dynagrow I would continue it on the tent girls and start using the MC on the outer girls. I will eventually be using just the MC but kinda doing the first in first out kind of thing. So, one outdoor Cindy got her first feeding of MC at 1/2 strength yesterday. She seems fine from it. It’s just so freaking hot and humid here that I’ve been watering every other day - and today was a consecutive day since both are dried out and completely wilted - that is what I believe is causing the yellowing/browning and dropping leaves. It isn’t a huge amount and they are lower level leaves, but it is still concerning. I’m thinking that I should load those outside girls up with liquid in the mornings to help them make it through these hot days? I feel like I need to do something to stop these EXTREME wet/DRY cycles. Sorry if I seem like a dolt, this is my first grow and am trying to drag these gals across the finish line (and they are actually in pretty good shape, but this weather..).

Sorry if I seem like a dolt
Not at all!- Nobody was born knowing this stuff...any questions you have are valid ones...

I’m thinking that I should load those outside girls up with liquid in the mornings to help them make it through these hot days?

Maybe start watering twice a day- like plain water in the morning, and nutes in the evening?
That wilting can get dangerous when it's really hot out- I'd give them all the water they can drink- if you notice signs of overwatering, back it off a little...
Then back to the wet-dry cycle when the weather cools a bit.

Are they outside in pots,or in the ground?...If they're in dark colored pots, you should cover the pots or paint them white- if you can keep the soil cooler, they'll take a little longer to dry out- and the roots won't get toasted from 100 degree+ soil....(that will also cause yellowing leaves, among other things)

Not at all!- Nobody was born knowing this stuff...any questions you have are valid ones...

Maybe start watering twice a day- like plain water in the morning, and nutes in the evening?
That wilting can get dangerous when it's really hot out- I'd give them all the water they can drink- if you notice signs of overwatering, back it off a little...
Then back to the wet-dry cycle when the weather cools a bit.

Are they outside in pots,or in the ground?...If they're in dark colored pots, you should cover the pots or paint them white- if you can keep the soil cooler, they'll take a little longer to dry out- and the roots won't get toasted from 100 degree+ soil....(that will also cause yellowing leaves, among other things)
Yes, the wilting is what concerns me. I feel like twice a day for now is a good idea, with some caution exercised in the evening based on lift? I’ve had overwatering problems so I am aware Of symptoms (hopefully!) but this weather is extreme.

They are all in 5 gal pots. i was also thinking that maybe I could wrap them in white towels...lol. I will fix that too. Thank you!

the evening based on lift?
Exactly! Then just water accordingly- just a little if they're still pretty heavy, and a lot if they're real light...
Maybe feed them in the evening, then just plain water during the day- if you're watering often, you'll need to feed often too (with MegaCrop, anyway- I'm not sure about the Dynagrow)

I have mine in milk crates that I wrap an old pillow case around. Sometimes I move them into the shade for a while when it gets too hot. Don’t want them suffering from heat stress.

Back
Top Bottom