BrixNewb's First Grow & Beyond

That's not too bad, it's the 40% and 80+ that they don't like. If you could keep it closer to 60% they'd be happy all the way through. It's hard to do without proper environmental controls. I can't keep my humidity up there in the winter either so I've tried to run mostly indicas and hybrids in the winter and flower the pure sativas in the summer. They look so much better in that higher humidity. In the summer I'll set the dehumidifier for 60% with lights on and 55% at lights off.

That's not too bad, it's the 40% and 80+ that they don't like. If you could keep it closer to 60% they'd be happy all the way through. It's hard to do without proper environmental controls. I can't keep my humidity up there in the winter either so I've tried to run mostly indicas and hybrids in the winter and flower the pure sativas in the summer. They look so much better in that higher humidity. In the summer I'll set the dehumidifier for 60% with lights on and 55% at lights off.
I appreciate the knowledge man. Given that information, I am going to go ahead and up her nute strength.

Neiko, is that what contributes to this?

A delightful little photo dump for your viewing pleasure.

It's been a while since I shared the joy with you all, and things get harvested all the time. Today he decided to take down his final Lemon Lotus x Love Gift. We just finished her up a bit ago. Sticky and sweetly perfumed. Thankfully she's easy to clean up. Most of the sugar leaves stayed put, covered as they were with trichomes.

Another Amazonian beauty gone to memory. :Namaste:

That leaves one more girl in flower in the Octopots, Zamaldelica x Panama. She's responding well to the increased nutrient concentrations. It'll take her a few, but they're hearty plants, thank goodness.

:hmmmm: Seems all my pictures are Octopot girls. I'll grab a few more of the rest tomorrow.

The ladies in waiting....

Brix did a little canna Tetris to open up the crowded corner of the veg tent.

I think they all appreciated the effort. No they can grow faster. :laughtwo:

Goodnight all. Too much cob today. I'm worn out. :ciao:

I don't think that caused the rust spots but yes on the leaf curl.

Thanks Neiko. I’d not considered this until your post to Brix. Something to be more attentive to in the future.

The leaf spots are calcium problems. I can still recall myself wondering why anyone would tolerate such deficiencies when LOs was an option. :laughtwo: How times change.

Devil’s Carnival is in the jars. :yahoo:

Not bad for the man’s first hempy grow.

190 grams @ ~ 60% RH translates to 6.7 ounces at Brix’s precise calculation of 28.35 grams/oz. :woohoo:

Jars of it. :slide:

I’ve been enjoying a fresh taste all day. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Lucky me. :green_heart:

Let me try this again....

The veg tent...

...and the flowering tent. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

There. I feel better about that. :cheesygrinsmiley:

And she’s just getting started Graytail. It’s incredible to watch. :battingeyelashes:

Brix culled one of the Columbian Golds tonight. Turned out we had a male in the harem. :eek:

It turned into a teachable moment. :laughtwo:

By the way.... his Vanilla Kush is looking killer!

About those Columbian Golds....

When Brix asked for seeds I took the time to sex them for him before deciding on which to plant. In a regular seeding the vast majority will be males, so you watch for the ones who scream, “I’m female, plant me!!!” I find this relatively easy to do - if the attachment end looks like a perfectly round and smooth caldera, it’s a girl.

I get poo-pood about this all the time. “No way can you sex seeds!”

Well.... I got tired of sorting through after finding only two females in about 30 seeds, so I handed him those two I was sure of, and one that wasn’t a clear female.

He ended up with two females and one male. :blunt:

About those Columbian Golds....

When Brix asked for seeds I took the time to sex them for him before deciding on which to plant. In a regular seeding the vast majority will be males, so you watch for the ones who scream, “I’m female, plant me!!!” I find this relatively easy to do - if the attachment end looks like a perfectly round and smooth caldera, it’s a girl.

I get poo-pood about this all the time. “No way can you sex seeds!”

Well.... I got tired of sorting through after finding only two females in about 30 seeds, so I handed him those two I was sure of, and one that wasn’t a clear female.

He ended up with two females and one male. :blunt:
I've tried this volcano technique a few times. The problem is I've never done an amount that would conclusively let me say it works. My last seed run with Regs I got out the loupe and picked perfect volcano seeds. I planted 4 and got 2 male and 2 female. Before that I've gone 3-4 and 3-3. This last time I went 50% I was sure I picked the perfect females. So now I don't know.

Brix culled one of the Columbian Golds tonight. Turned out we had a male in the harem. :eek:

It turned into a teachable moment. :laughtwo:

By the way.... his Vanilla Kush is looking killer!

Sorry mate, that looks like a female... Could be mistaken but the male pic..
left side there is a pistil sticking out... Just.
If theres no other signs, wait a day, be fun to know....
Good luck.

Sorry mate, that looks like a female... Could be mistaken but the male pic..
left side there is a pistil sticking out... Just.
If theres no other signs, wait a day, be fun to know....
Good luck.
It didn't matter, I had two confirmed females, so I culled the third. I never had plans to grow out all three as the room just isn't there with the way I grow currently. Beyond that I don't think the third was a female. From that picture it is questionable, but on another node I found the lobster claw I look for when identifying males.

As far as the seed sexing, I can't say I buy it. Last time we sexed some seeds I was more of a believer and I ended up with a male in my flower tent, but I caught it in plenty of time. This time we had 2 out of 3 females which is statistically what you would expect from 50/50 seed sex probability. I don't personally subscribe to Sue's opinion that regular seeds tend to be male. I believe it's closer to 50/50 from my personal experience. With regular seeds I generally plant 3 seeds and only once have I gotten all males.

As for the stem hairs and the other sexual indicators Sue subscribes to, the jury is still out for me. I will try to keep track and see if I can see a trend. She needs someone to reel her in at times and I am always happy to be that person.

The only true indicators of a plants sex are the female formation between main upright and where a leaf set emerges.
There is NO other way to sex a plant.
That is the start, it is a sign the plant is ready to flower. Preflowers.

I been in coco 10 yrs, growing hydro for over 20 yrs, been into Cannabis over 30 years.
Im old I dont know all the new fancy terms for everything, I just grow my meds,.......

Back
Top Bottom