Brown spots

Thanks for the tag, cbd.

My teas are essentially all anaerobic ones these days, following the Jadam methodology and they couldn't be easier. Just add castings to some non-chlorinated water and go to town. I don't add bubble stones or anything.

You can add the sugar source as @cbdhemp808 suggests if you want to try to multiply the microbes over time, but you can also use it immediately as the water will help dissolve the goodies and get them dispersed further down into the container.

Topdressing with a healthy amount of castings is also something I do, and that way each time you water you are sending some of the worm goodness down into your soil. And by healthy, I mean that I use a lot. I've been known to put a layer of an inch or so on top of the soil with positive effects. Fresh castings sitting on the surface like that will dry out to a concrete like consistency so they need to be covered with a mulch layer to help prevent that.

Edit:

Ok, I just read the thread from the beginning and that looks like a classic calcium deficiency to me, which is also far more common than a boron one. If so, the castings would help a lot since they come out of the worm covered in a calcium carbonate slime before they harden into what we call castings.

Also, as cbd says, depending on the feed source to the worms, the castings will have all kinds of other beneficial nutrients all in a plant available form with extra microbes for the soil. So I'd start with the castings to solve what looks to me like a calcium issue, but they bring along so much more to help with other things as well.
So literally just add castings to de chlorinated water and stir and sit? Roughly how much castings to water? I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ca related... I tossed up alot at the start of the grow whether to use a calmag or not in coco. I came to the conclusion there should be enough in the base nutes. I should have taken preventative measures.

Thanks for the tag, cbd.

My teas are essentially all anaerobic ones these days, following the Jadam methodology and they couldn't be easier. Just add castings to some non-chlorinated water and go to town. I don't add bubble stones or anything.

You can add the sugar source as @cbdhemp808 suggests if you want to try to multiply the microbes over time, but you can also use it immediately as the water will help dissolve the goodies and get them dispersed further down into the container.

Topdressing with a healthy amount of castings is also something I do, and that way each time you water you are sending some of the worm goodness down into your soil. And by healthy, I mean that I use a lot. I've been known to put a layer of an inch or so on top of the soil with positive effects. Fresh castings sitting on the surface like that will dry out to a concrete like consistency so they need to be covered with a mulch layer to help prevent that.

Edit:

Ok, I just read the thread from the beginning and that looks like a classic calcium deficiency to me, which is also far more common than a boron one. If so, the castings would help a lot since they come out of the worm covered in a calcium carbonate slime before they harden into what we call castings.

Also, as cbd says, depending on the feed source to the worms, the castings will have all kinds of other beneficial nutrients all in a plant available form with extra microbes for the soil. So I'd start with the castings to solve what looks to me like a calcium issue, but they bring along so much more to help with other things as well.
I also see you mentioning soil, is a worm casting tea fine for coco too?

Here is what I do.
I add calmag to my water first no matter what.
Coco drains it.
Then add nutrients according to recommendation from manufacturers.
Then last set ph to 5.8 exactly.
Then feed every day until runoff.
Keep coco wet all the time.
Never any plain water.
This will help your girls.
Bill is saying to add calmag at every feeding, every day. For coco.

I don't see why not.

So literally just add castings to de chlorinated water and stir and sit? Roughly how much castings to water?
Yep, and as much as you want as the castings are very gentle. I usually add enough to get a nicely colored tea similar to if you were making tea for yourself with tea bags, but I really don't think you can over do it.

Yes. Coco doesn't have much in the way of nutrients in it so you have to add your own. @Bill284 uses bokashi and insect frass in his coco grows. Not sure if he adds castings as well.

Yep, and as much as you want as the castings are very gentle. I usually add enough to get a nicely colored tea similar to if you were making tea for yourself with tea bags, but I really don't think you can over do it.

Yes. Coco doesn't have much in the way of nutrients in it so you have to add your own. @Bill284 uses bokashi and insect frass in his coco grows. Not sure if he adds castings as well.
Never add castings to coco, screws up the ph.
Bokashi, Frass & Dazzle and DYNOMYCO.
Calmag in your water first.
Then full strength nutrients according to the schedule.
Set ph to 5.8.
Feed every day to run off.
That's my way of doing it, seems to work well.
But even without the extras in your pot, follow those instructions for coco.
Any problems I'm always available.
That procedure will get you to harvest.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Never add castings to coco, screws up the ph.

Thanks for that correction @Bill284 . I didn't know about that issue. Noted. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom