Bud Rot & Mold vs. Microbes

Wrong thread. Sorry

This is a great idea, Azi... not sure I have time for it, BUT... I sure am in mold central here in tropical Hawaii. Are you asking for specific formulas?... maybe I could do an aerated worm tea, because I'm already familiar with brewing that. I have the GSC x Kush that is a good subject, since she usually always has some bud rot problems, more or less. I have 2 identical clones in the veg house right now in 5 gal pots, same soil, same conditions. I would plan on spraying the tea once moved to flower house, but before bud formation. So, one would get the tea, one wouldn't.
Here's my test and results:

Conclusion: It didn't work. But there's some interesting info in the thread.

Did anyone have good results using LAB to control bud rot?

Does anyone have any thoughts about using an acidic solution, for example citric acid, instead of LAB?

Thanks for posting your results, @cbdhemp808 . :thanks:

I know @Bode had better results with leaf mold microbes than he did with the LAB he used a few years ago. I'd say our "experiment" is still inconclusive but many growers are reporting lesser amounts of bud rot this season. Of course this season has been unusually dry for many, especially the Canadian group, so it looks like a "do over" is called for next year.

I know @Bode had better results with leaf mold microbes than he did with the LAB he used a few years ago. I'd say our "experiment" is still inconclusive but many growers are reporting lesser amounts of bud rot this season. Of course this season has been unusually dry for many, especially the Canadian group, so it looks like a "do over" is called for next year.
I like that Azi! Let's try again next season!

Does anyone have any thoughts about using an acidic solution, for example citric acid, instead of LAB?
I have some very anecdotal "evidence" from this summer. I had some caterpillar-induced bud rot and decided not to take off anything other than the rotten bits (no "clean margins" like in I normally would). I sprayed the rest of the bud with 1% citric acid spray and the rot never spread.

It doesn't prove anything but I made note of it for future grows.

Yer welcome. Well, I'm doing a perpetual grow here in Hawaii, and doing 4-5 harvests per year outdoors, in greenhouses. So... I'm thinking of my next steps now. I'm leaning very much toward just focusing on strains that are fungus resistant – and that's certainly not the GSC x Kush that I've been growing. The Maui Wowie has been good, which is a sativa-dominant plant. For indica, I have a Blue Dream hybrid that's resistant, so I'm definitely continuing with that one... really good smoke, too. My CBD phenos have been very fungus resistant.

One thing about the kush hybrid, though... it's a good test subject. I like the idea of doing a LAB test (foliar spray), because it's a much easier process than aerated compost tea. So, I might try a coconut milk LAB test where one plant is treated with multiple foliar applications of CocoLAB, and the other plant with a simple citric or ascorbic acid solution with equivalent pH as the CocoLAB. I have a couple small clones of the kush hybrid, so I'll grow them up for the test. Depending on the results of that test, I could then possibly try CocoLAB vs. unfermented coconut milk solution. The oils in coconut milk – lauric and capric acid – have anti-microbial properties. The reason I'm looking at coconut milk is partly because I have access to lots of coconuts here.

Thanks, Azi, for holding a space for these tests.

Hey Growmies,

Here's some observations I made last night about possible corellation between mold resistance (bud rot) and the sweet, fruity terpene, myrcene, combined with high resin production...

Thanks for posting this @cbdhemp808 ! I wonder if anyone else has noticed strains with those terpines being more resistant. :hmmmm:

That could be an important discovery.
Right?! I mean, I just put 2 & 2 together. 🤓 It was a great tip-off to see the Maui Wowie go completely rotty, and then the CBDs right next to her completely rot free, with the CBDs being extra fruity fragrant and resinous. BTW, for all I know, what I'm calling Maui Wowie might not be that at all, or a poor version of it – I'm highly suspect of the company I got the seed from.

I know several growers who select seeds based on terpines, but mostly for the effects. This could add a whole new selection criteria especially for outdoor growers.
Yes. Myrcene happens to be a very important terpene due to its range of medicinal benefits, including anti-cancer effects. It also accentuates the effects of THC and maybe other cannabinoids as well. That's why if you eat a mango and smoke, you'll get a faster, more intense high. Mangos are high in myrcene. Here's a super detailed article about myrcene: click here [2021].

I have a small bottle of pure myrcene... just put some on my wrist to sniff. It's definitely not a sweet, fruity odor. Well, maybe a bit sweet, but more leaning toward a spicey, piney odor. But I think it's the combination with other terpenes that will produce an overall sweet, fruity odor. I have some myrcene, humulene, beta caryophyllene, limonene, and pinene. I haven't yet tried combining them, in different ways, to see if other distinct odors can be produced.

Greetings Growmies,

Regarding mold-resistant strains... I've done a bunch of research over the past few days, looking for available seed for strains with the following qualities:

✔️ high levels of myrcene (or already known to have high mold-resistance)
✔️ have blueberry or white widow genetics (both have high myrcene)

✔️ heavy resin production (also implies strong odor)
✔️ sweet, fruity odor
✔️ not a long flowering time
✔️ good yield
✔️ euphoric/happy effect

✔️ high THC

I looked for seed in each of the classifications: sativa, indica, 50/50 hybrid, and CBD. (For CBD I'm going for 20:1 more than the above criteria.)

I found 7 strains: 2 sativas, 1 indica, 2 50/50 hybrids, and 2 CBDs. All photos. All fem except for one of the sativas. I'll be ordering from 5 different seed banks, all in N. America. (I actually found some other really good ones, too, but decided on the 7 for now.)

The 7 all have the green check mark qualities, and one or both of the purple check marks (above). Of the 5 THC strains, 3 are advertised to produce at least 20% THC, one can reach 20%, and the last one 12-17%.

I'll spill the beans 🤣 once I have ordered the beans, received the beans, germinated them, and get some weedlings... a lot has to happen... you know how it is! I'm gonna order them probably in 3 batches, starting with 3 strains from True North.

wish me luck!

1667460962508.png

Greetings Growmies,

Regarding mold-resistant strains... I've done a bunch of research over the past few days, looking for available seed for strains with the following qualities:

✔️ high levels of myrcene (or already known to have high mold-resistance)
✔️ have blueberry or white widow genetics (both have high myrcene)

Regarding the White Widow. White Widow is actually susceptible to mold. I know this because I grew 2 White Widow x Big Buds outside this year. My notes on White Widow said that it was susceptible to mold and that the Big Bud was mold-resistant so I was wondering how the combination would do. The verdict: There was significant bud rot on both plants.

Regarding the White Widow. White Widow is actually susceptible to mold. I know this because I grew 2 White Widow x Big Buds outside this year. My notes on White Widow said that it was susceptible to mold and that the Big Bud was mold-resistant so I was wondering how the combination would do. The verdict: There was significant bud rot on both plants.
Interesting, thanks. Did your WW have a lot of resin production? Was it photo or auto? What was your typical outdoor temperature day/night around harvest time?

Temps are usually 12C during the day and 3C at night.
Oh dang, that's like Antarctica compared to here in Hawaii!

Did you also have rain around harvest time?

WW is a favorite in our area and known for mold-resistance here, but I haven't grown it. We have daytime temps usually 75-80F year round, lots of rain, high humidity, and lots of sun. The sun is intense. Nighttime temps of 64F are considered cold, and it usually doesn't get down that low.

Back
Top Bottom