Bud rot

Aweedtec

I have a plant that foxtailed. I was informed to just let it keep going and to keep humidity down.

The plant is 112 days old. And should have only went 70 says the seed co.

But it's a crazy bushy plant and the foxtails never stopped growing. They are everywhere now. I've been looking every day for signs and now I see signs that concern me

So you know....the buds up top had all brown hairs except lower buds still has all white hairs. The upper buds were pretty much done.

Then the foxtails come and now the plant looks completely unfinished and what makes no sense is it is finished under the new growth but it is getting bulkier.

And the strangest thing....it is growong these new dark green small leaves on these foxtails everywhere and the only place it can possibly be getting nitrogen from is the yellowing leaves.

So could it really be transferring nutrients from the old leaves into new ones that appear to be buds growing upside down from stems grown out of finished buds.

This stuff drives me crazy. I do everything I can to prevent issues and they just keep happening like I have a horseshoe up my ass...but it's sideways.

The photo is the front and back of the same bud from the plant.

So does this look like plant dying or bud rotting or is it just old plant?
And if I cut the plant down and hang it by its roots will that finish the plant up? Or is this a matter of cut that stuff off and forget about it?

20240424_134759.jpg

20240424_134803.jpg

20240424_142602.jpg

20240424_142944.jpg

crack one open and see if it is brown and damp inside. sacrifice a thick one.
So....see the new growth? When I look at it through a scope it is all milky white trichs as it grows.

So if I just harvested the plant there is no question the buds under the new growth are finished. It's the new growth that concerns me if I harvest it. Will the white hairs turn if I just harvest the entire plant by hanging it upside down by the roots to dry?
I know that's not the normal way but under the circumstances i am wondering if that is possible good choice or is it a bad one?

Also....my thinking is it's still finishing while it's drying and the hope is if I leave it about 55 RH instead of 60 will that have less chance of rotting while drying?

I'm definitely going to sacrifice a bud. But still spitballing ideas too for all scenarios.

Any darkness you see in this photo is without question from me having given it too much nitrogen weeks ago.

20240424_145645.jpg

Does not look like rot to me. You really don't have to cut one open, you can just squeeze it.. If it is rot, it will be squishy soft.
Nothing is soft anywhere.

I was actually thinking it may be just the light turning the bud colors since it's way past due. Sort of like how my other plant turns purple when harvest is near. Another maybe I am thinking..

I really don't want to cut this down till all those hairs change but It just never stopped growing these white hairs and new green leaves and I stopped giving it all nutes except molasses because that blackstrap stuff has a ton of nutrients in it but no nitrogen.

Should I be giving this plant full nutes right now? It's 112 days. 42 days past the seed cos timing of 60 to 70 days.

Yup. Id take the suspect, slice it up. Check it out. You will know if its molded or showing rot. There is a distinct odor also. Like cracking a vintage playboy from dirty uncle Ernie's house.
Never had an uncle who was that careless with his men in the boat. Otherwise known as sea men. 😂

What if they are all suspect in various places?

I did slice a bud I believe may have had it and it was fine. It may just be turning because it's old now. It all still smells great.

What you see in this bud is my giving the plant too much nitrogen weeks ago and the nasty loon on the top is when I first got the foxtails someone said to cut them off and so I did. But then someone else said just let it go....so I stopped cutting them off but the spots where they were cut off on top dried up crispy.
No biggie...I'll just chop it off because I know that's not rot. It's from me

What still baffles me is where are these dark green leaves coming from?

20240424_151531.jpg

Never had an uncle who was that careless with his men in the boat. Otherwise known as sea men. 😂

What if they are all suspect in various places?

I did slice a bud I believe may have had it and it was fine. It may just be turning because it's old now. It all still smells great.

What you see in this bud is my giving the plant too much nitrogen weeks ago and the nasty loon on the top is when I first got the foxtails someone said to cut them off and so I did. But then someone else said just let it go....so I stopped cutting them off but the spots where they were cut off on top dried up crispy.
No biggie...I'll just chop it off because I know that's not rot. It's from me

What still baffles me is where are these dark green leaves coming from?

20240424_151531.jpg
Deficiencies at harvest are pretty common even for a seasoned grower. Your trying to provide the perfect stable environment for the plant to uptake everything it needs before harvest.

If you didn't find any mold or rot. I would take it as a sign to bump up the p and k heading into flower.

I to had some issues. I feel once I noticed, it was to late to catch up. All I could do was cross my fingers.

Deficiencies at harvest are pretty common even for a seasoned grower. Your trying to provide the perfect stable environment for the plant to uptake everything it needs before harvest.

If you didn't find any mold or rot. I would take it as a sign to bump up the p and k heading into flower.

I to had some issues. I feel once I noticed, it was to late to catch up. All I could do was cross my fingers.
That is what I am doing now. Crossing my fingers and hoping. I want the plants new growth to finish correctly but it may not be possible.

You think I should up the nutes until it's finished? I hear about immune system and I think ok if that's true than giving it no nutes to finish except molasses may not be the best thing.

That is what I am doing now. Crossing my fingers and hoping. I want the plants new growth to finish correctly but it may not be possible.

You think I should up the nutes until it's finished? I hear about immune system and I think ok if that's true than giving it no nutes to finish except molasses may not be the best thing.
I would just finish it how youve done so far.

Not much time left to make any significant changes.

Do you keep notes? Or a complete journal? It's always helpful when trying to track issues.

I would just finish it how youve done so far.

Not much time left to make any significant changes.

Do you keep notes? Or a complete journal? It's always helpful when trying to track issues.
No notes or journals once it went whacko.

I am really at the end of my patience with these plants because I thought this would have been done weeks ago. And it isn't the only plant unfinished. Both of my plants decided to take the long road.

I was keeping a journal of the feed and water schedule but after 12 weeks the stupid system says to repeat 10 through 12 till finished.

Well...that causes nanners because their bloom booster has nitrogen in it. And it causes foxtailing .

So....obviously this system is not good for plant that take too long.

The dark green leaves appearing are the plant trying to get more energy for the root, because she still wants to be pollenated. That's why she's throwing so many fresh pistils. Sometimes, you just have to give them a deadline and cut, no matter how much they want to live.
So what happens with the white pistils? Do they just turn brown while hanging? Or do they stay white after the bud is dried and cured?

I also have seeds that are green and big..one on each bud. That I can see.

I want them to finish because I think it could be a mix of lemon haze auto and a mixed strain I just grew along with it that nannered

I think you can rule out excess light to be the cause of the fox tailing.
It's probably genetic, given there's fox tailing even down low.
Looks to have some time left before I'd consider harvesting.
IMO fox tailing is sweet, bigger yields and a mix of trichomes at different stages.

So what happens with the white pistils? Do they just turn brown while hanging? Or do they stay white after the bud is dried and cured?

I also have seeds that are green and big..one on each bud. That I can see.

I want them to finish because I think it could be a mix of lemon haze auto and a mixed strain I just grew along with it that nannered
Seeds is a good reason to want to live :green_heart: .

Good luck getting a pheno you love!

I think you can rule out excess light to be the cause of the fox tailing.
It's probably genetic, given there's fox tailing even down low.
Looks to have some time left before I'd consider harvesting.
IMO fox tailing is sweet, bigger yields and a mix of trichomes at different stages.
It's like bud is growing upside down everywhere held on by a navel type stem. Lol

I was keeping a journal of the feed and water schedule but after 12 weeks the stupid system says to repeat 10 through 12 till finished.
If the plant is one that takes longer than the usual 8 weeks or so of flowering then the grower is supposed to continue feeding the same doses as they used for the last week shown in the schedule. The last one usually shown on the schedule is week 12. This allows for 4 weeks from the seedling stage to the start of flower plus the 8 weeks of flowering.

If the plant is one that takes longer than the usual 8 weeks or so of flowering then the grower is supposed to continue feeding the same doses as they used for the last week shown in the schedule. The last one usually shown on the schedule is week 12. This allows for 4 weeks from the seedling stage to the start of flower plus the 8 weeks of flowering.
I like that in theory... But I'd I follow that plan with dr earth it's bloom booster every two weeks at 3-9-4

That might be perfect for late bloom stage.
But when you should be near finishing At a 14-week..... If you give it Bloom booster again you're going to Hermie and you're going to foxtail. And I say that because both of my plants did it. And that's all I did was follow the Dr earth directions.

What you said is exactly what they said to do.

I said 10 through 12 and what I really mean is week 11 through 12. Because week 11 you would be giving it pot of gold liquid 1-1-1.... Then on week 12 It is assumed you are finished by week 14 so it doesn't tell you to give it any more nutrients. But it says if the plant isn't close to finish to repeat the last two steps.

And that is what I believe caused the plants nanner and foxtailing issue. Giving it more nitrogen in those steps.

I didn't see any nanners on the Lemon Haze plant but they were all over the mixed strain plant.
And now the lemon haze has seeds. Which is fine because if it's a mix of all of them then great I'll grow it.

it would really bulk up if fed proper to the end. it's trying to eat itself to finish as is.
dr earth is shitty cheap wal-mart nutes. it is not surprising if there were issues for tissues.

it would really bulk up if fed proper to the end. it's trying to eat itself to finish as is.
dr earth is shitty cheap wal-mart nutes. it is not surprising if there were issues for tissues.

It did bulk up. It just went whacko before it was finished.

Well the lemon haze didn't really. But the other lemon haze did. And the mixed strain for really big..

The only difference was the other lemon was harvested probably just a bit too early. But it would have went through the same thing had we not harvested it. Because it was with the other two plants. It just got harvested at 102 days old.

Back
Top Bottom