Calyx Hunter's - Soil - Jedi Death Star - 2014

BAD NEWS!!!
I believe I have a magnesium deficiency. My leaves are yellowing. Here's a picture of the most prominent discoloration and it is hard to see due to the HPS yellowing. I just bought some pure Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate MgSO4) from the grocery store and will probably mix some with FF Grow Big and feed them tomorrow.

I'd like to know if anyone has any other suggestions.
63_and_35.JPG

Actually ended up here on accident by clicking too fast.
I've caught up on your grow & it's pretty damn nice CH.
Hope they finish strong for you.
Watch out with the bloom sup's youre using. They'll fry your beautiful girls quick.

any of the numerous cal/mag supplements will fix this if its a deficiency.(cal-mag plus, CaliMagic etc..) I cannot tell what the issue is from the picture, you need to adjust your cameras white balance to bring the colors to normal when taking pics under HPS light.
Thanks for the advice PJ420. I'm going to snap a quality pic this morning right as the light clicks on. I've noticed as its warming up it emits blue which is perfect for photos. I'm going to try the cheap route with Grocery Store bought Epsom Salt to try and save $ where ever I can. I'm going to have to check the local hydro store to see how much the Cal/Mag supplements run. I'll tell my wife "I'm just going to look and see what they got." :morenutes:

Actually ended up here on accident by clicking too fast.
I've caught up on your grow & it's pretty damn nice CH.
Hope they finish strong for you.
Watch out with the bloom sup's youre using. They'll fry your beautiful girls quick.
Thanks cajuncelt and welcome to my journal. This journey has been almost too easy so far and a hurdle was bound to crop up. Thanks for the burn note on my bloom nutrients. I've read that big time professional growers do see noticeable production increases by using the expensive Bloom Enhancers that are out there rather than the cheapo's. It sucks that I've learned late that the Fox Farms nutrients are mostly chemical based. I'll go easy with them for sure :thumb:

I just placed another seed order from our awesome sponsor, Bonzaseeds.com. I'm already getting set for my next grow which I'm going to do differently. I'm going to do 6 different strains at once instead of 4 of the same like I'm currently doing. The 600W HPS light penetrates deep so I'm going to do topping and training with a possible SCROG but I will have a shorter veg time so that I can keep 6 plants fitting together in the 4x4. I'll be starting the seeds in about three weeks when I harvest the Jedi Death Star. I just hope we can beat this deficiency and get through the last few weeks as healthy as we can.

NY Diesel Feminized Seeds
White Russian Feminized Seeds
*New* Diamond Girl Seeds
**NEW** The Doctor Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Day 64 total
Day 36 from flip
Magnesium deficiency looks ugly and I don't like it very much. I'll feed the girls some Mg when the soil dries out a bit as they're not looking extremely bad yet.
Does anyone think that using a flash camera during the dark cycle once in a while is stressful for the plant?

Here's my Mg def. pic (Life isn't all good news. Sometimes you got to keep riding the wave)
64_and_36.JPG

I knew things were going too smoothly and I had to have some sort of learning experience. I've been seeing all this talk about pH and have previously had the attitude like it'd never affect me. Now don't I have a rosy palm print on my face. I've been searching and reading all kinds of threads on here about pH and am so thanful for :420:as an amazing resource for knowledge.

Here's what I've learned from trolling recently:
* After adding nutrients to my distilled water I should then take a reading of the water and make small adjustments
* pH meters suck
* cheap pH meters really suck
* People seem to like the $80 HM pH-200. I like that it has replaceable tips and is self calibrating
* The meter must be properly cleaned and stored in some calibration solution or the tip will go bad if allowed to dry
* The Pur filtered and distilled water I am using may be leaching out nutrients
* I could be dealing with either or both low pH and Cal/Mag deficiency

I am about three weeks away from harvest so I will start flushing in a week anyway. I would really like to my leaves and plants to be at 100% health going into the last stretch. My recent watering with estimated pH up adjustment and nutrients did nothing. The soil is still moist so I need to wait before trying another adjustment. I think I will try to get a decent digital pH meter and do this thing correctly. I hope I get the opportunity this grow to learn about this pH stuff and apply it. I'm sure pH'ing is going to take practice but it's another skill involved in growing which I am excited to be on the door step of. All this talk about organic living soil with teas and brix kits and ppm and stuff is all appealing too.

I knew things were going too smoothly and I had to have some sort of learning experience. I've been seeing all this talk about pH and have previously had the attitude like it'd never affect me. Now don't I have a rosy palm print on my face. I've been searching and reading all kinds of threads on here about pH and am so thanful for :420:as an amazing resource for knowledge.

Hey Calyx.. Things are still looking pretty good, all things considered. At the risk of sounding like a Fred Flinstone caveman grower on here I have to say that I don't hardly ever use my fancy pH meter. I measure my pH in soil grows only about three times during a grow. Each time I change my nutrient mix after about 2 or three applications I whip out my old pH strips and measure the pH of my runoff. I know the pH of the water I use , That's a constant. I know the pH of my potting mix, That's a constant. I also under fill my pots at the beginning of my grow and gradually add small top dressings of just promix as the grow progresses. Holler, why in the heck do you do that? I do it because in my opinion on an indoor grow you can get quite concentration of salts in that top layer of soil as you continually add nutrients. That's why I am always saying that alot of folks over fertilize and over water.That's why they resort to flushing mid grow. I probably water with just Superthrive or Superthrive and Micoryzal solutions more than fertilize. I think that adding a top dressing captures more of those nutrient salts,ties them up and (here's the punchline) gives me a more accurate pH reading on my strips and a more regulated release of my application. I came to this conclusion from watching the kind of rain and runoff my outdoor fields endure. I am not saying that you do this so please don't take this wrong. I have been a huge fan of your grow here and you have done a surperlative job!! But man alot of folks over feed and over tend their plants on here for a questionable return on their investments. I guess as a farmer I have to make sure I get 3 pennies out of every 1 I invest on my farm before I jump! I look forward to seeing how this all pans out for you and I hope for nothing but the best!

Thanks for your support uptheholler! I also appreciate the suggestions. I try to keep it simple as much as possible and I tend to overreact to any kind of problem with my girls. One of the toughest things to do is to be patient and not do anything.

Day 67 total
Day 39 of 12/12
All growth is going into the buds. I'm approximately 3 weeks away from harvest. Some of the older pistils are browning and their calyxes are swelling. The soil was still moist last night so I'm letting it go. I have one more good feeding on the schedule and I'd really like to solve the yellowing pH or Cal/Mag issue before the final flush begins.
67_and_39.JPG

I would assume that the flash from a camera would be equivalent to lightning which occurs in nature so maybe it wont mess them up? looking good otherwise man !:thumb:

My concern is the flash during the night cycle. Disrupting the day and night cycles can cause stress and induce sex change. I'm wondering how much stress a flash during the night cycle will cause. I'm guessing it'd be negligable if its one or two flashes.

Yeah Im agreeing. When the plant grows in the wild there is moonlight naturally so that amount of light wont cause it to hermie. So also if there is lightning in nature that flashes at night during thunderstorms than you would assume a camera flash would be about the same as that so it should be fine. Otherwise before these plants were cultivated and they were out in the wild all of them would hermie every time it rains lol.

Good point. Sometimes I need to think from their perspective.

Imagine if us growers in the future had lighting technology that allowed us to prefectly mimic lunar cycles and changing weather patterns. It'd be cool if there were misters for foliar feeding that perfectly matched a rain storm and the lighting would dim with occassional flashes for lightning and the fans would pick up randomly for strong wind gusts. I'd imagine this kind of growing during the vegetative cycle would create very strong plants. Random food for thought

CH, don't worry about the quick camera flash. Not enough to upset hormones.
Also, I wouldnt trip on your deficiencies. They are not severe enough this close to harvest to worry about.
The buds themselves are perfect my quick learning friend. You're harvest will be awesome.

The nute quantitites are maximums, not ultimate measurements.Having a plant with almos enough nutes is 10000 times better than a plant burnt by too many.

Almost enough is never a problem.
Too much is always a problem

+reps, you're kicking ass.

Back
Top Bottom