Calyx Hunter's - Soil - Jedi Death Star - 2014

CH, don't worry about the quick camera flash. Not enough to upset hormones.
Also, I wouldnt trip on your deficiencies. They are not severe enough this close to harvest to worry about.
The buds themselves are perfect my quick learning friend. You're harvest will be awesome.

The nute quantitites are maximums, not ultimate measurements.Having a plant with almos enough nutes is 10000 times better than a plant burnt by too many.

Almost enough is never a problem.
Too much is always a problem

+reps, you're kicking ass.

Amen Brother!

thats my philosophy as well ;-) well said.

Its not that far off. My fiance is an interior architect and her thesis is on building integrated agriculture. Thats why were moving to Denver. The future is bright for us growers.

The future is totally bright for us!

I read another article about defolitation that was really interesting. In it the author mentioned how he visited a professional grow where the grower uses heavy defoliation at the 4th week of flower removing all major fan leaves on his indica strains. The growers say that at that stage the plant is using energy just to keep the older leaves healthy because in nature these older leaves would already be dead or removed naturally. Indoors we create very healthy easy environments for the plants to live and the older leaves would not normally still be there. There was a demonstartion with an OG Kush strain where the grower did heavy defol on some and left a few with all their leaves. The author stated how much bigger and more dense the buds were on the heavy defoliated plants. I think there could be some truth to this. I think the resin production in cannabis is more dependent on other factors such as genetics, UV available and nutrients in the soil rather than straight photosynthesis. I believe photosynthetic energy is solely responsible for vegetative growth. By vegetative growth I mean all the plant matter that is produced even during the first part of flowering for example, stems, leaves, calyxes, roots and pistils. Once the plant has the body of the buds formed it then converts to resin production therefore the majority of photosynthetic energy needed deminishes based on what I've read recently. Based on my experience I notice that growth almost completely stops except for small bud growth and swelling after about 4-5 weeks of flowering. I'd like it if others chimed in with their knowledge and experience. I'd be surprised if anyone actually makes it this far through my dribble.

Im a big fan of defol. Always have been. Sometimes if I need stretch I wait the usual 20 odd days other times I dont. I also then carry on through most of flower period as and when needed.
I always found getting quantity fairly easy. Im sure defol is part of this reason. I learned a lot from Bassman, so now I go hard at it at about half way through flower.
As long as the flower sight has its own leaf set at its base it doesn't need the fan anymore to drive the bud site! :)

The future is totally bright for us!

I read another article about defolitation that was really interesting. In it the author mentioned how he visited a professional grow where the grower uses heavy defoliation at the 4th week of flower removing all major fan leaves on his indica strains. The growers say that at that stage the plant is using energy just to keep the older leaves healthy because in nature these older leaves would already be dead or removed naturally. Indoors we create very healthy easy environments for the plants to live and the older leaves would not normally still be there. There was a demonstartion with an OG Kush strain where the grower did heavy defol on some and left a few with all their leaves. The author stated how much bigger and more dense the buds were on the heavy defoliated plants. I think there could be some truth to this. I think the resin production in cannabis is more dependent on other factors such as genetics, UV available and nutrients in the soil rather than straight photosynthesis. I believe photosynthetic energy is solely responsible for vegetative growth. By vegetative growth I mean all the plant matter that is produced even during the first part of flowering for example, stems, leaves, calyxes, roots and pistils. Once the plant has the body of the buds formed it then converts to resin production therefore the majority of photosynthetic energy needed deminishes based on what I've read recently. Based on my experience I notice that growth almost completely stops except for small bud growth and swelling after about 4-5 weeks of flowering. I'd like it if others chimed in with their knowledge and experience. I'd be surprised if anyone actually makes it this far through my dribble.

Hey Caylx! That was my point about folks learning what stages of growth that their plant is in. It's also why you shouldn't be too concerned about deficiencies at your stage of growth. As the plant now races towards senescence and ultimately death it now is focusing all of it's energy on one goal. Reproduction. What we see as resin production or trich formation is really a plant's response to not being fertilized. I often say that like most old maids the girls think that there must be something wrong with them that they have not become fertilized. In a natural environment there should be some male out there trying to pollenate it. I have always believed that the huge explosion of late resin development is the plant's natural response to not being fertilized.... thinking there is something it can do... and becoming more resinous in response to make certain that if pollen is available that it will stick whether windborne or insect transferred. The plant will actually begin to form an abscission layer between the leaf petiole and the stem effectively cutting off that leaf from nutrients causing it to ultimately yellow and drop. It's interesting to note that oak trees do not form an abscission layer which is why oak leaves do not drop from the tree but cling until now. It's one of those early signs of spring that city folks miss. As an oaks buds begin to swell in spring they actually push off the older leaves. I know... I know... I am just a wealth of usless knowledge and minutia. Boring as heck at parties!
I continue to really enjoy watching your grow my friend!

Oh I also wanted to state that the plants stages and getting to know them and get in synch to them by very close observation is the single most critical part of learning to grow any crop. ESPECIALLY, when it comes to fertilizer applications. It is often not how much fertilizers that you apply in any grow. but rather, WHEN, you aply them that makes a difference in both the results that you achieve and the expense to your wallet...or purse which ever you chose to carry!

Oh I also wanted to state that the plants stages and getting to know them and get in synch to them by very close observation is the single most critical part of learning to grow any crop. ESPECIALLY, when it comes to fertilizer applications. It is often not how much fertilizers that you apply in any grow. but rather, WHEN, you aply them that makes a difference in both the results that you achieve and the expense to your wallet...or purse which ever you chose to carry!

I've had some great experience in my past and learned from my many mistakes. I truly believe that going through this grow paying close attention to my plants while reading on 420mag I have learned more than I ever have. What helps me along with everyones input is to maintain an open mind. I think I have it all figured out then someone else here opens my mind to whole new way of thinking. I have much love and respect for my 420mag brethren and sistren.

CH I read every word twice because I think the theory is right and more people are putting it into practice and it looks like the results are starting to come in and they are looking good. Deff will go further with defoil with two WW's that are in veg.:thumb:

I don't know about where you live uptheholler, but while oak leaves tend to stay on the tree longer than other species in the fall, both of my oak trees lose all of their leaves before winter's full force.
Hey Colorado; I'm in the Southern Midwest I'm looking right out a cabin window right now and I have a 400 plus year old white oak in my front yard along with a couple of black oaks, a red oak and a couple of swamp oaks in the side yard. The swamp oak drops them early and the red oak after that but my white and black oaks still have about half or better of their leaves firmly attached. When I'm cutting timber in the fall on my land that's how I can easily pick out oaks in the fall. Those are also the danged trees that rattle their leaves during deer season and have me thinking that one is walking up on me from behind! HA! Out west you may have some sub species that react differently. Certainly possible I am only knowledgable about the midwest and mid south. You would probably have to point out trees and ID them to me in Colorado! But, my point wasn't a debate about oak trees it was about the forming by plants in general of abscission layers on leaf petioles. Most species do it only a few decidous trees don't

Yeah I think so too. I'm in the 5th week of flower so I'm a little late but I think I may defoliate two of my girls heavily tonight and see if there is any difference.

Yeah I think so too. I'm in the 5th week of flower so I'm a little late but I think I may defoliate two of my girls heavily tonight and see if there is any difference.[/QUOTE

Hey Calyx! If they get really huge we may have to walk under them during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. If so I would like to volunteer to hold one of the ropes! Just sayin'! You know me always willing to help out!

I feel the article on defol is spot on. My problem is that I can't seem to implement it!
I've had 2 grows with heavy defol & the last grows with light, light defol.
The plants with only light defol were definitely bigger & better in everyway.
The plants heavily defol'd just weren't great buds.

That said, a grower I've known over 15 years defols to the point the plant looks like a vine. Hardly any leaves. And, his buds are amazing. Go figure.

:roorrip:
I feel the article on defol is spot on. My problem is that I can't seem to implement it!
I've had 2 grows with heavy defol & the last grows with light, light defol.
The plants with only light defol were definitely bigger & better in everyway.
The plants heavily defol'd just weren't great buds.

That said, a grower I've known over 15 years defols to the point the plant looks like a vine. Hardly any leaves. And, his buds are amazing. Go figure.
There are so many contradictory theories on this its making my head spin. The article said defol in the 4th week of flower works well with indica dominant strains mostly and works seldomly with sativa dominant strains. Maybe in nature on those rugged Hindu Kush mountains the little bushes were beat down by harsh weather and lack of nutrients.
Come to think of it why has noone phot shopped that yet? Snoopy..... Woody woodpecker......Calyx Hunter and his giant Jedi Deathstar Cola!
Hahaha!! I love it. I'm a comic book super hero with a fatty nug as a side kick!
Yeah I think so too. I'm in the 5th week of flower so I'm a little late but I think I may defoliate two of my girls heavily tonight and see if there is any difference.[/QUOTE

Hey Calyx! If they get really huge we may have to walk under them during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. If so I would like to volunteer to hold one of the ropes! Just sayin'! You know me always willing to help out!
Hahaha! That is funny in an Alice Wonderland kind of trippy way. If only my buds were that big and floated on air I'd for sure strut them around town and share. Help me put it in the air!

Day 69 total
Day 41 of flower
This morning I heavily defoliated one plant as a test. I supported and separated many tops as they are getting heavy. I thoroughly watered using the first 5 gallons just distilled tap water and I pH'd it up to about 7. The last three gallons I aded two tablespoons of FF Big Bloom and 1/4 teaspoon of FF Cha Ching then pH'd them up to about 7.0. The tops in the center of the canopy under the most intense area of light are literally getting white from trichome over load.
69_and_41.JPG

69_and_41a.JPG

69_and_41b.JPG

69_and_41f.JPG

69_and_41d.JPG

The clear resin glands are turning cloudy now. It looks to be about 50/50 clear and cloudy. I can't even believe there is about 20 days left! These colas are monstrous and immature and am I'm a little afraid of them plumping up in the end.

Back
Top Bottom