Cannabis Time Lapse Videos

Aaaamazeing could you post how to?For the time lapse?

I'm interested in this as well. I looked around for digital cameras, but found nothing useful for a long term time lapse(1 photo per 1-2 hours).

I picked up a cheap refurbished smartphone(droid 3, 16gb, 8MP camera), found a few apps for time lapse photography. So my plan is to rig a mount inside my tent, run a charger to it, set it to photograph every hour, and auto upload the photos so I can access them on another phone, then edit to a time lapse video.(with the same app) Should allow monitoring this way(incase phone freezes or something), and I wouldn't have to move the phone. Sounds good in theory so far, no idea if it'll last for entire grows(3-4 months). Hoping to have it at the end of this week and try to get it setup.

I am using a digital video camera with SD cards. These can be tough to find, but ebay will have them for a good deal. You have to be absolutely sure you ask or research the model for that time lapse feature. :)

You can use a computer with a camera and stream it onto that, but those are huge files and it eats up storage space quickly.
My SD cards are both 16 gigs, I set my video camera for 72 hours of time lapse at one pic every 5 seconds.
I change the card every two days, and then download the file to my laptop via windows movie maker. There I can edit out the dark hours and resize the file for youtube, as well as adding movie titles, or adding other video the same file.

I have seen time lapse's done with smart phones, I'm sure mine has it, but I can't be without my phone. LOL Also, video files on my brand of phone are not the best in quality I have discovered. The regular video camera looks better in my case.

Hope that helps!

I'm going to be searching around the site here soon and see if some of the other members would like to add their vids here. I have one that I will be posting today if I can locate it again. :)

Another option for creating a Time Lapse video:

This is a time lapse that can be done without a time lapse camera running continuously. It's a series of photos, probably put together in a movie editing program such as windows movie maker. Once they are all added, it turns into a video.
I got this from a thread by member "MagicJim".

timelapse1.gif

I am using a digital video camera with SD cards. These can be tough to find, but ebay will have them for a good deal. You have to be absolutely sure you ask or research the model for that time lapse feature. :)

You can use a computer with a camera and stream it onto that, but those are huge files and it eats up storage space quickly.
My SD cards are both 16 gigs, I set my video camera for 72 hours of time lapse at one pic every 5 seconds.
I change the card every two days, and then download the file to my laptop via windows movie maker. There I can edit out the dark hours and resize the file for youtube, as well as adding movie titles, or adding other video the same file.

I have seen time lapse's done with smart phones, I'm sure mine has it, but I can't be without my phone. LOL Also, video files on my brand of phone are not the best in quality I have discovered. The regular video camera looks better in my case.

Hope that helps!

I'm going to be searching around the site here soon and see if some of the other members would like to add their vids here. I have one that I will be posting today if I can locate it again. :)

I'm thinking 1 photo every 15 minutes for a 3 month cycle. Condenses down to 5 minutes at 30fps, and should keep the file size from getting too ridiculous.

I'm looking at green lights to use during the dark period. Shouldn't disturb photoperiods flowering and let's you keep the night photos.

I'm thinking 1 photo every 15 minutes for a 3 month cycle. Condenses down to 5 minutes at 30fps, and should keep the file size from getting too ridiculous.

I'm looking at green lights to use during the dark period. Shouldn't disturb photoperiods flowering and let's you keep the night photos.

Good idea on the green light, I don't have one of those....yet. LOL Might order one when I get some of my Christmas gifts ordered.
Sounds like a nice plan for you. :)

That's very cool, Cannafan. Great idea for a thread!

Anyone figured out a way to setup a permanent time lapse inside a grow tent without spending a fortune?

I used my video camera that had time lapse feature on it and just changed out the card before it got full and inserted a new one. I had to reset the time lapse settings each time I did that. You can stream direct to a computer, but that's going to take up major space. The memory cards can be purchased in a 512 GB storage capacity since I bought my measly 16GB ones. :laugh: If I remember correctly, I got about 4 days worth of video on that card at 5 second between shots.
I set the time lapse for a picture every 5 seconds to keep it from looking jumpy when it was put together as a video on my computer.

Other than that method, I can't afford what I've seen out there. ;-)

Anyone figured out a way to setup a permanent time lapse inside a grow tent without spending a fortune?

I used my video camera that had time lapse feature on it and just changed out the card before it got full and inserted a new one. I had to reset the time lapse settings each time I did that. You can stream direct to a computer, but that's going to take up major space. The memory cards can be purchased in a 512 GB storage capacity since I bought my measly 16GB ones. :laugh: If I remember correctly, I got about 4 days worth of video on that card at 5 second between shots.
I set the time lapse for a picture every 5 seconds to keep it from looking jumpy when it was put together as a video on my computer.

Other than that method, I can't afford what I've seen out there. ;-)

I used an old cell phone to do mine, I had to set it going everyday (I missed some days) and when the grow had finished I had to manually knit 8 weeks worth of 1 second daily time lapse videos together. To be honest I still haven't done it yet but when I do I'll post it here. :thumb:

I did get this one tho. It's a Lime Daiquiri autos first 24 hours.

I might have to look into buying an old phone. I have both a DSLR and a video camera but don't want to permanently set either of the inside a grow tent. Plus a cell phone might be the easiest keep charged up. Now where can I get a cell phone cheap. lol

I might have to look into buying an old phone. I have both a DSLR and a video camera but don't want to permanently set either of the inside a grow tent. Plus a cell phone might be the easiest keep charged up. Now where can I get a cell phone cheap. lol

Fleabay!

If you have a basic windows movie maker on your computer, that's how I put my vids together. It was easy peasy.

Yea the other cheaper option is to grab a cheap tablet for under $60. Just have to be sure it has a halfway decent camera.

Back
Top Bottom