Can't get it right!

Ksell56

Ive sprouted 4 seeds in an inhert medium (peat moss, sand and perelite) as everything I have read indicates that seedlings dont need any nutrients for the first two weeks at least. The first set of spiked leaves on my seedlings are turning yellowish white. They are under 200 watts of cfl all up and I think my watering is fine as Im letting the soil dry out before watering again. I'm just stumped as to what else it could be. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Peat moss is a very acidic medium, and it doesn't have much nutritive value either (and sand and perlite have none, of course). I would suggest chucking the peat moss and buying some good cannabis-grow-grade potting soil (Fox Farms Ocean Forest is popular), and mix some perlite into that. (And sprouting in paper towels.)

There seems to be a local cult belief here that seedlings magically can or should go for half a month without nutrients. When there is chlorophyll under bright light and a root in the soil, a plant is ready to start absorbing nutrients--not industrial-grade, full flowering 1000 PPM nutrients, but do give it something to eat.

"200 watts CFL" spead over how big an area? Is it too hot or even too bright for your plant? The "back of the hand" test will help with the heat question. A $16 Amazon lux meter will help with light levels (aim for about 50,000 lux).

And don't let that seedling "dry out" too much! Damp, not desert. (And seedlings like humidity.)

yeah, i never understood the " weeks without nutes" thing either. at least 1/4 strength of something, lol..

Depends on your medium really, as "soil" varies widely, have read a lot of folks having problems with the Ocean Forest being too "hot" for seedlings. I use Vermisoil personally and most strains for me go 3-4 weeks before they start telling me they need nutes, varies a lot by the strain as I had one that never liked full strength nutes all the way thru the whole grow (which made it a pain as couldn't use same mix on the two different plants). The "soil like" mediums that are actually more like hydro need something right off the bat (like the peat moss/sand/perlite like person who started this thread is using and some of the other brands that not really "soil"). Just start light on the nutes as it is easier to add more than to try and take away if you have too much.

As far as the seedlings don't need nutes goes it all depends on what your growing in. I make my own mix from the local nursery and I haven't used nutes yet 4 weeks in plant is extremely healthy. Goes to show you there's already stuff in there the plant needs :)

When we say "Don't need nutes," I tend to think of growing hydroponically in pure water or in coco coir with no added fertilizer. I think when a lot of people say "Don't need nutes" they mean the plant doesn't need fertilizing--that it's living off the nutrients already in the soil, which is not the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom