Carbonated water vs C02 bag or tank?

Thank you all for the replies it is highly appreciated.

@SmokingWings yes you have come the closest to my question. And thank you for taking the time to read through some of it...i literally rabbit holed myself lol Im sorry I may asked Incorrectly. I got alot of answers revolving around the c02 itself and not the other side of the question.... Benefits to using carbonated mineral water over c02. Which in every one of them talk about the benefits of the dissolved nutrients...that's the key to my question.. not so much the c02 it self.

"Carbonated water contains macronutrients that are essential to plant growth, according to researchers at the University of Colorado. The nutrients found in carbonated water are potassium, carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, phosphorus, sulfur and sodium. The researchers used the plant baby's tears as a test subject. Some plants received tap water and others received carbonated water. The carbonated plants grew more than twice as large as the tap water plants. The nutrients are already dissolved, which makes it easier for the plant to uptake them before they leach out of the soil"

I don't have the space nor the funds for the c02 tanks... But I have tried a few off the wall methods to help things work.... Such as straight nutes given in smaller doses less often (showed rapid growth)... Lightly steaming soil of a hard to pop seed (which I managed to save 3 out of 6 dead/old seeds doing this)...and using live composting soil to grow in ( adding raw product to the soil of everyone of my plants not just cannabis).
Everything that everyone knows here is due to someone branching out and not doing what they were told and experimenting, from topping to nutrients to HST/LST. ALL OF IT. THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING.

Me replying this way is not to knock anyone's knowledge or experience, but to try to open the minds a bit as the sweet mary Jane does for all of us.

I will be conducting this one my self. I have two Northern Lights seedlings that are both the same age and in the same environment. One will be fed flat carbonated mineral water and the other will only get filtered tap water. And I will document amounts, growth, and then give a side by side comparison.... If no one else will try it then I will.... Nothing ventured nothing gained!

:)I am one of those older hippie outdoor growers and I do not know of any other old hippie that uses extra carbon dioxide on their outdoor grows. There might be a few of us who use it on indoor grows but I don't know any of them. I think you have us old hippies confused with some of those young whipper-snappers.:p;)
Lol and that's what I meant is all I know is older hippie growers that don't use any of the fuufuu things out today just dirt sun and natural home made mixes for pest,mold, etc.

carbonated water, oxygenated water, helium infused floating water ...
it's all small yield snake oil sales horseshit.

the benefits, if any are at the far end of the spectrum, and require a picture perfect grow in precise conditions. without that, there isn't any measurable difference that can't be attributed to pheno / strain / genetics. even clones grown under the exact same conditions will produce different than the mothers.

even clones grown under the exact same conditions will produce different than the mothers.
Thank you...now I feel like a dumbass..but you put a major aspect that I forgot into light....the part I didn't factor in that almost all plants will grow different in the same environment... :confused: maybe with 100+ plants in the same environment, measured perfect, etc would it be plausible to conduct a proper experiment...but not with two that are already different. Thank you @bluter this is why I ask as I may get a response that points out what I'm over looking... So thank you...it's better than some of the other responses saying it won't work with no explanation as to why.

Thank you...now I feel like a dumbass..but you put a major aspect that I forgot into light....the part I didn't factor in that almost all plants will grow different in the same environment... :confused: maybe with 100+ plants in the same environment, measured perfect, etc would it be plausible to conduct a proper experiment...but not with two that are already different. Thank you @bluter this is why I ask as I may get a response that points out what I'm over looking... So thank you.
Definitely not a dumbass mate.. Thinking outside of the box and trying new things is how we learn. It's great to have new ideas thrown into the pot. It's a really interesting thread and it has brought up some good information. So thanks for starting this debate :thumb:

Definitely not a dumbass mate.. thinking outside of the box and trying new things is how we learn. It's great to have new ideas thrown into the pot. It's a really interesting thread and has brought up some good information. So thanks for starting this debate :thumb:
Thanks Paul I appreciate that.... And usually after a few bowls my mind may wander a bit :laugh: so thanks for everyone being patient with me . And yea I learned a bit from back and forth reading and seeing what the comments here were. I gained knowledge :love:

And usually after a few bowls my mind may wander a bit
You and the other 50 million plus cannabis users :laugh: you have seen in my thread the stupid idea I had to suck the excess water out of my overwatered plants.. now that's dumbass:rolleyes: it worked though, but at the risk of getting electrocuted :rofl:

Hiya - I have experimented with carbonated water, and yes there does seem to be some benefit
However, the levels of usable nutes are tiny; the most beneficial aspect appears to be Carbonic Acid which breaks down into Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen - but I'm no chemist lol
Overall, I decided it was a waste of effort for negligible, if any reward
Dialing in other environmental factors is way more effective

Like to read those articles, because I don’t know where the S, P, K, and Na is coming from in carbonated water (maybe in mineral water), and in what form is it.
Here's what I've been able to put together. All these claims about carbonated water are based on one study done in 2002 by the University of Colorado in Boulder. I can find no other scientific study that has been done since that one, and I don't know if the U of C study was a peer reviewed study, I don't know their methodology (double blind ?). All the articles cited reference the U of C study, but I cant seem to find the original study anywhere. Lots of different sites went wild with the information and put it out as gospel. The study was not done on marijuana plants, but on "baby tears". I still don't understand where the P,K, and S, come from in carbonated water. That's why I want to read the original U of C study. All the articles that were referenced are not scientific studies, they are anectdotal. Not saying it might not work or have some small effect, but if it were that easy.........

Hiya - I have experimented with carbonated water, and yes there does seem to be some benefit
However, the levels of usable nutes are tiny; the most beneficial aspect appears to be Carbonic Acid which breaks down into Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen - but I'm no chemist lol
Awesome I'm glad you have personal experience to mention. The concept I had I would use it for the seedlings. They are not supposed to get nutrients for a couple weeks as it can kill them or stunt they're growth...but with the macronutrient in the water I thought maybe it could work like jump starting the plants nutrient uptake with the trace amounts before I started a feeding schedule with mid/high amounts which burns the plant if to much is given ... kinda like staging it... But the general consensus I'm getting is it's just an extra $1-$2 cost added for the water with maybe the slightest benefit if any. Much appreciated :cheesygrinsmiley:

@Phytoplankton Yes speculation with no real "evidence" that's why I was curious :hmmmm: as if any had tried it....cuz it's blasted as "beneficial" for a straight 10-15 links...but nothing to really show or verify....and not on marijuana plants, except if your read through some of the other grow forums and look it up on they're search engines people have tried with various results. But still no actual proof. Thanks for taking time to look into it, I'm sure you can understand why the idea arised. :nomo:

If we are talking about the minerals in the water, I only grow with shop bought mineral water. Its £1 for 6 litres. I've never had to use Cal mag before, until I got better, more high powered lights. Even now, I only use a quarter of the recommended dose of cal mag, once and a while, if an issue occurs. So I can vouch for using mineral water...

@Growings has it.

If we are talking about the minerals in the water, I only grow with shop bought mineral water. Its £1 for 6 litres. I've never had to use Cal mag before, until I got better, more high powered lights. Even now, I only use a quarter of the recommended dose of cal mag, once and a while, if an issues occurs. So I can vouch for using mineral water...

cripes paul stop paying for water. get an RO kit, adapt to municipal, or both depending on source.
your using less calmag cause there's loads of it and other stuff in the mineral water.

a calmag supplement is pennies to run per grow run in good clean water. i'm all about cheap.

@HappyHazmat88 - no such thing as stupid here. stupid is you didn't ask. stupid can also be the market.
frankly the ask is brilliant. that's how you do.

cripes paul stop paying for water. get an RO kit, adapt to municipal, or both depending on source.
your using less calmag cause there's loads of it and other stuff in the mineral water.

a calmag supplement is pennies to per grow run in good clean water. i'm all about cheap.
You sound just like the wife :laugh: shes all about cheap and she said exactly the same as you, "It will work out cheaper in the long run with RO". Damn, I'm getting it from both sides now :laugh:;)

You sound just like the wife :laugh: shes all about cheap and she said exactly the same as you, It will work out cheaper in the long run with RO. Damn, I'm getting it from both sides now :laugh:;)
Don't you just hate it when they're right! (LOL)

Tap water, +/- 1ml/L Citric Acid

DSC_0555.JPG

Back
Top Bottom