Charly's 4th Grow - G13 Haze Soctober 2011

Hello there mr G, Sorry to hear about the baba clone but the field of gold is looking fantastic, Also loving the big cola, shes a big one alright!!!

Also that lunch looks like something id have to lol

Keep it up buddy and ill check in again :)

VH over and out

Dude that reverted broken baby, has regained the youth cycle. I would suspect that the curling and twisting will resolve itself after a few days... but if you happen to get aplant where the leaves do not look like the fans we have all grown to love... then you got yourself a keeper bro... You know how many times i wished the plant could look different and non-distinguishable... a lot.

Thanks for pointing that out about the twisting leaves, Frank!

Someone (I think it was Pooh) told me to look for the stems to start spiraling. I didn't know what he meant. I thought the main stem would start twisting back and forth, like it was doing a hula dance and I was looking forward to that.

Now I see that the new leaves are twisting in weird patterns. Earlier Miwa came up with the name "FrankenClone." I don't know if all clones do this, but it's almost like there are two different plants. The new growth is like a completely different plant grafted on to the first.

My guess is that these new shoots and leaves are like the embryonic stage of a new seedling. It could also be that the plants were 3 weeks into flower and one of the clones came from a plant 3 1/2 weeks into flower. I have a grower friend (has lots of experience cloning) who tells me it's nearly impossible to clone from a flowering plant and that most attempts end up with the clone rotting.

So I guess I should consider myself lucky to have two that could be candidates for motherhood.

Miwa, the clones I have are from original plants, i.e., grown from seed. I wanted these clones to be mothers for future clones. I guess that would make their clones granddaughters of the original plant. The big clone actually has four shoots that grew after I topped it (for a second time).

Three of the clones came from the biggest, oldest plant and one from the smallest, youngest plant. They were actually all germinated at the same time, but I'm saying oldest, youngest to refer to when they sprouted from the soil.

Here's a body shot of

Big Sister

BigSister1.jpg

and here's one of

Little Sister

LittleSister.jpg

and here is one side by side for comparison purposes:

Sisters

Siblings.jpg

You can see that when the Little Sister sits at the dining table, she needs to sit on a telephone book, but she's still shorter than Big Sister. When I took the first three clones, I used Big Sister because it was the hardiest plant. A few days later I realized the Little Sister was a much nicer plant in several ways.

First, it was smaller, which meant that its clones would be easier to handle in the height limited space I have.

Second, it had a perfect shape, just like a bush. The other plants had some "bald spots," where there was little or stunted growth.

And finally, the Little Sister was the most sexually mature. Her buds developed earlier and were bigger than those of her other three sisters. Just goes to prove that the Little Sister is usually the slut in the family.

I'm not sure if these differences are due to Nurture or Nature. Although they're are the same strain, they are not identical and, like siblings in a family, can be quite different from each other.

I swapped out my HPS for MH to get some better pictures. I think the Trikes came out well.

Budding Starlet

Bud011.jpg

I was able to get a really nice picture of this bud and its trikes:

Photogenic Bud

BudFar.jpg

and a closeup of its trichomes

Trichome Closeup

BudTrikes.jpg

Finally, here's an updates on the clones.
Big Clone

BigClonea.jpg

The big clone is starting to develop normal leaves. I saw one with five blades. That's a lot better than the one bladed leaves. Sorry, Frank, this isn't the dream stealth plant you were hoping it would be!

Here's the small clone. It's slowing starting to develop into a real plant.

Small Clone

SmallClonea.jpg

Still trying to find the perfect trichome photographs. Seems like it takes ten or so to find one good one.

Bud Trichomes

TrikeFlash1.jpg

Some More Trichomes

TrikeFlash2.jpg

The Big Clone is really growing fast. You can see the dhange day by day.

Here's another picture of her.

Big Clone

BigCloneb.jpg

clones always tend to have awesome ass little leaves that just look so perfect haha :D

lookin good bro sorry i havent been around!

Hey All,

Update on the crop. It's a couple of days past 8 weeks of flowering. The skinny on these from the manufacturer is
These ladies mature in 8 weeks but most farmers give them 10 weeks.

Well, I'm in no hurry for once in my life. I've harvested two crops right at the 8 week point because I just couldn"t wait any longer for that smooth sweet taste, her siren scent drawing me on ...

Where was I? Oh yeah, I've got no problem with 8 weeks. In fact, I've shortened the light period to 11 hours, i.e., 11/13. I'm going to slowly reduce the amount of light to simulate approaching winter. Don't know if it'll make any difference, but it'll be a fun experiment. I'm looking for a slow mellow ripening.

Here's a picture of

The Entire Crop

WholeCrop02.jpg

And here are two buds

Side By Side

SideBySide2.jpg

Do you remember Walt Disney's Fantasia, and the scene called The Sorcerer's Apprentice with Mickey Mouse?
This reminds me of

The March Of The Broomesticks

MarchOfTheColas.jpg

Right after I posted my message, I saw yours, Pooh. We must have sent them at the same time. Guess great minds think alike!

I was just looking at my gals and thought I should take some pictures of their Junk in the Trunk.

Most of the time, I don't even bother to look at the undergrowth. Usually, it's a leaf filled mess and the buds there barely develop at all. In this grow however, I've trimmed so much that the plants have stopped producing fan leaves. This could also be because they are in late flower.

In any event, it's relatively airy downstairs and, for the price of admission, the girls will show you all.

Here's what it looks like under her canopy (doesn't that sound dirty?)

Under Her Canopy

UnderGrowth8.jpg

Here is a bud at the bottom of the food chain. Even thought it is close to the bottom of the plant, you can still see brown hairs and trichomes.

Bottom Bud

BottomBud.jpg

Last, but not least, here are a couple of buds farther up the branches but still less than halfway to the top.

Far Down Beneath

FarDown.jpg

Hey Chieftain,

Thanks for stopping by! It was getting kinda quiet in here.

First off, an update on the clones. The big clone is really healthy and is growing like a real plant. The small clone is finally coming into its own and displaying five-bladed leaves. It's still not very big, but I think now that it has started "normal" growth, it will grow faster.

Small Clone

SmallCloned.jpg

Big Clone

BigCloned.jpg

The buds are looking better each day. Trikes still mostly clear, but I think they may be starting to turn cloudy. Hard to tell.

Here's a picture of a typical bud:

Bud - dy, can you spare a dime (bag) ?

bud022.jpg

Managed to get a slightly fuzzy picture that gives some idea of the trichome size and density:

Winter Frost

WinterFrost.jpg

Finally, here's a comparison of the different maturity of the plants. I mentioned this before (it was in your lesson plan, page 36). The Little Sister (youngest, most developed) has colas that are fattening up, whereas the Big Sister (oldest, least developed) has colas that are still growing.

Little Sister Cola

LittleSisterCola.jpg

Big Sister Colas

BigSisterColas.jpg

Miwa said:
i hear if after you make the diagonal cut at the bottom of the stem...if you make a cut splitting the stem at the bottom..your clone will root faster

Miwa, thanks for the hint! Another tip I heard and did try with my clones is that after you make the diagonal cut along the stem is to scrape the stem slightly to remove the outer "bark" before you plant it. I used the blade from the same pair of scissors that I used to cut the clone in the first place. I think the idea is to expose the soft membranes inside the branch to the soil.

This is really timely. I just got back from the hardware store and nursery supply shop getting provisions.

Here's a picture of the

Loot & Swag

Loot.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but I'll describe what's there going left to right, top to bottom.

Rock Wool
Funnel 4 25W 2700K CFL bulbs Coco Coir
Wilson's Roots Liquid Root Stimulator
Bag of Perlite

A cloner friend (not a cloned friend, although he is a stoner friend!) is going to send me a tutorial on cloning sometime soon. He recommended the Rock Wool. An article I read on cloning swears by Coco Coir. I've heard a lot of good things about Coco Coir as a regular "soil-less" soil.

I'll put up some more pictures later tonight.

LJ and Chief, thanks for the compliments! You, too, Miwa!

Yesterday, I noticed that, due to all the pruning I've done, that light reaches through the leaf canopy most of the way down the plants. All except one.

If you think of the Little Sister as playing midget hockey, the Big Sister is on the senior girls' basketball team. I've bent so many colas across the top of this plant that the interior is a leaf-mangled mess.

To try to create more space, I've used dental floss and canes to pull the branches out and apart. The floss and canes were already in place from when I was training the plant. All I'm doing now is tightening the floss.

I'm doing this slowly, a little bit each day. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has broken a branch while training it.

Here are some pictures:

Right Side of Plant

Training1.jpg

Left Side of Plant

Training2.jpg

Bet you didn't know plants had left and right sides. Now you do!

Finally, another bud picture. I think I'll swap out my HPS for MH to get some better pictures of the trikes. Stay tuned!

Not Another Teen Movie

bud031.jpg

Couldn't sleep, so I needed something to do.

I've been meaning to add some CO2 to my flowering space for a while now, but was too lazy to, as usual. Well, I finally did it. Better late than never.

I tried it on my last grow and failed miserably. I used a couple of vats filled with sugar water and poured some fermenting yeast into it. When I went to check on it later, all I found was a beige coating of silt on the bottom.

And the water was cold! Guess what? Although my grow room is fairly warm - there's a water heater in there that also doubles as ventilation heater using hot water and it's on most of the time, especially in winter.

Guess I should have stayed awake in high school Science 101. The evaporation from the surface of the vats was enough to make the water cold. Now if it could only be turned into a way to bring water to the surface of one's skin thereby allowing cooling in hot weather, that would be worth a fortune!

This time I'm trying something else. I have some large glass water bottles whose tops I've covered with Aluminum foil. Then I punched a couple of holes in the top with a pin. I was going to punch holes in the metal tops and screw them back on, but those tops are really crappy. Once you use them they become really loose and are useless.

Didn't think I'd make you wait this long without having a picture to show, did you?

Carbon Dioxide Diffusers (patent pending)

CO2Diffusers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom