Chump's First

It's raining right now, but when I get a chance I'll snap a few more pics. I was talking to my dad last night and he was telling me about how to trim them up, so the flowers get more of the energy. Like triming off the big fanned leaves around the bottom, and stuff. I'm just not experienced, and don't want to wreck it. If anyone has suggestions, please throw 'em my way! He said he pinches them off with his fingers just off the stem.

There's a lot of debate about removing fan leaves.

Most of the experienced growers I know do not agree with this practice. Until/unless the fan leave reaches the point of dying naturally where it's close to falling off on it's on; removing it (by pinching) will prevent disease or decay from infecting the plant.

Removing a healthy plants fan leave hurts production; the plant is using all its healthy leaves for transpiration.

Now if you want to tie them out of the way with string etc., to better expose the bud site; that's conventional.

There's a lot of discussion about this on the site if you search around.

I've been spending most of the day searching around this site, and can't find anything. I don't know what the technique is called, so it's making it hard to find out any information. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I pick off the yellowed leaves. I'm just wanting my blooms to get bigger faster! Maybe I'm just impatent. I see everyone else's pics and wonder if mine are behind where they're supposed to be.

P1060273a.JPG

P1060275a.JPG

P1060278a.JPG

P1060283a.JPG

Can anyone help me identify the strain? Or at least what species it looks like? If I remember right, when smoked for the first time, it makes you feel kind of light headed, like you're going to pass out, about 10 minutes after smoking. Then you feel super baked.

Here's some new bud pics.

9/13/10
P1060303a.JPG

P1060299a.JPG

P1060300a.JPG

P1060302a.JPG

The LST plant is sweet! I'm pretty stoked being that this is my first grow. And it was cool to learn about the plant along the way. Thanks guys!!!

My friend told me to wait just untill frost to harvest. He said "let it go for as long as you can, trust me" He also said "once it turns amber, wait 10 days". My dad says "when it's brown, it's done". What do you guys think?

For me it is when tricomes viewed in 30x microscope are mostly cloudy...clear mean immature... cloudy is head high... amber tricomes are couch lock. So all depends what ya want for high. Other signs of maturity are white hairs turning 50% brown or red...and also you will see some brown hairs retracting into false seed pods. Looking really healthy :goodjob:

how do the trichomes look

Can you take a macro photo and see what percentage have started to turn cloudy.

remember the old adage - when you think they're ready, wait a week ;)

Here's a nice write up explaining what's going on inside the trichome - worth a quick read.

trichome and harvest

I would suggest deciding your harvest date based on percentage of trichomes that have turned depending on the type of high you seek.

Thanks Soniq420, for explaining about trimming fan leaves, trich timing, and for posting those excellent links!

very helpful!

+rep!

Yes this forum is awesome, everyone has been very helpful! I've learned a lot during this grow. I haven't even posted updated pics of the 3 little females that my friend brought over. They're late bloomers but they're doing well. I'll get some pics of them soon. The hairs on the big LST are half brown, at least in the taller (more out in the sun) buds.

I have been using tap water for my plants, and they seem to like it. They get a lot of rain water too. But we're going to set up an indoor grow for the winter, do you think the water will be okay for indoor? I mean the PH, if it's fine now, wouldn't it be fine then? Or is indoor growing more sensitive?

Back
Top Bottom