Clone Success Tip

Herby Green

BODY OF EVIDENCE WILLEM DAFOE lays MAdonna
SCIENCE OF CLONE

Double Down
Grow more dope
I am Reading up again and sharing shit which is next to rolling a stoney :lot-o-toke:
Stay positive

BEFORE CUTTING YOUR CLONE
Stop Fertilizing the Mother Plant☘

Before taking the cutting, growers should stop fertilizing their plant four to five days ahead of time. This will reduce the amount of nitrogen in the plant, which improves the chances of the cutting taking root. Nitrogen triggers the growth of leaves, so the less the plant has the more likely it will focus on growing roots.

My mother is nearing the maturity required for a clone,now over 60 days.
She is laying colas everywhere and in lst train mode.
Checking my balls in the mirror again before I sharpen and sterilelate the clippers.
Think I'll wait a few weeks lol

Should I let her be and wait ?
1st grow in 50 years

20200921_163532.jpg

Hope this helps

Most of us seem to feed too much nitrogen during the growth (aka "vegetative") stage. That's okay (up to a point, of course) for general cannabis production purposes, because we get fast growth that way. But, no, it's not the best strategy for keeping mother plants healthy and productive. Something about the energy cost of converting nitrogen into a form that the plant can use, and the balance of nitrogen level to carbohydrate level. The classic "lime green" look seems to be better than the dark green. I realize that indicas are naturally darker green than sativas, and that has to be taken into consideration. But if your mother plant looks like it's on the verge of going all "eagle claw" on you, lol, that's too much.

In terms of size, that plant could have had cuttings taken from it earlier, IMHO. I suppose it depends somewhat on whether you want to take one or two now and then, or a bunch all at once. Each time you cut a tip off (whether you intend to produce a rooted clone from that tip or not), you're likely to end up with two branches growing where one was before. And a bushy mother has more potential cutting sites. The more cuttings you take over time, the more unruly bushier the mother gets. Until one day when you decide, "This thing is going into the flower room," and place one of its "daughters" in its place.

You're not going to kill or even significantly impact the mother plant's health by taking cuttings (unless you butcher it), so you can always take a cutting (or two) now even if you think you might be better off to wait. Call it practice ;).

After you make your initial cuts to free the cuttings from the mother, recut the ends at an angle, and do so under water (like in a large bowl). If you're removing a lower set of leaves near the cut, do that under water, too. Or, if this seems too unwieldy, cut the leaves off but leave part of their stems, and then cut those off under water. Neither of these things are absolutely necessary - but they do seem to help noticeably.

Here's some light reading for you:

DISCLAIMER: Above links are for reference, only. Statements contained within above links not guaranteed to agree with each other. Your mileage may vary. Post no bills. Better to have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy. If it's stupid, but it works, it's not stupid. On Wednesdays, never leave your aquarium unattended if your cat is...

i might think that a tonno folks, like myself,, take clones off a plant that is just about to go into flower, to regurgitate the cycle,, perpetual and all. i routinely take my clones off a plant that is five or six weeks old,, younguns indeed.

i have as much success cloning the baby bottom branches i cut off as any other parts of the plant. cloning is always hit and miss for me,, and others,, but right now,, all hit

Most of us seem to feed too much nitrogen during the growth (aka "vegetative") stage. That's okay (up to a point, of course) for general cannabis production purposes, because we get fast growth that way. But, no, it's not the best strategy for keeping mother plants healthy and productive. Something about the energy cost of converting nitrogen into a form that the plant can use, and the balance of nitrogen level to carbohydrate level. The classic "lime green" look seems to be better than the dark green. I realize that indicas are naturally darker green than sativas, and that has to be taken into consideration. But if your mother plant looks like it's on the verge of going all "eagle claw" on you, lol, that's too much.

In terms of size, that plant could have had cuttings taken from it earlier, IMHO. I suppose it depends somewhat on whether you want to take one or two now and then, or a bunch all at once. Each time you cut a tip off (whether you intend to produce a rooted clone from that tip or not), you're likely to end up with two branches growing where one was before. And a bushy mother has more potential cutting sites. The more cuttings you take over time, the more unruly bushier the mother gets. Until one day when you decide, "This thing is going into the flower room," and place one of its "daughters" in its place.

You're not going to kill or even significantly impact the mother plant's health by taking cuttings (unless you butcher it), so you can always take a cutting (or two) now even if you think you might be better off to wait. Call it practice ;).

After you make your initial cuts to free the cuttings from the mother, recut the ends at an angle, and do so under water (like in a large bowl). If you're removing a lower set of leaves near the cut, do that under water, too. Or, if this seems too unwieldy, cut the leaves off but leave part of their stems, and then cut those off under water. Neither of these things are absolutely necessary - but they do seem to help noticeably.

Here's some light reading for you:

DISCLAIMER: Above links are for reference, only. Statements contained within above links not guaranteed to agree with each other. Your mileage may vary. Post no bills. Better to have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy. If it's stupid, but it works, it's not stupid. On Wednesdays, never leave your aquarium unattended if your cat is...
Thank you
Werewolves of London
Key of D

i might think that a tonno folks, like myself,, take clones off a plant that is just about to go into flower, to regurgitate the cycle,, perpetual and all. i routinely take my clones off a plant that is five or six weeks old,, younguns indeed.

i have as much success cloning the baby bottom branches i cut off as any other parts of the plant. cloning is always hit and miss for me,, and others,, but right now,, all hit
I've only a 2.5x2.5 tent but scroging one now and a seedling doing well on the way.
Mother was topped & is a photo over 60 days but a small plant by genetics.
She is well with Lst and ready for the web net to be laid on her.
I lost her friend in a defol to attempt a start at manifold but roots gave out & things turned ugly..lol
So I'm now a better prepared tortured soul with cleaner scissors, a water bowl for submerged cuts and a more mature plant.
Her stems are over 7" so she should hold her own on a single clone.
Will try to post results
Thanks
Chat l8r my friend

These tips to cut underwater and stop feeding N before cloning isn't necessary with an aeroponic cloner. Not saying it doesn't help, but aeroponics are a huge game changer that agriculture never had access to before. I've been 100% success rate for a long time now without any considerations. Pretty sure I could take a cutting with my teeth and spit it into the cloner and still be fine.

These tips to cut underwater and stop feeding N before cloning isn't necessary with an aeroponic cloner. Not saying it doesn't help, but aeroponics are a huge game changer that agriculture never had access to before. I've been 100% success rate for a long time now without any considerations. Pretty sure I could take a cutting with my teeth and spit it into the cloner and still be fine.

I agree with you until a few months ago. I had 100% success rate with clones for the last 10+ years, all of the sudden I cant get a clone to save my life. I even bought new pump, air stone, tubing, cloning collars, switched to bottled spring water and the stems rot off in 5 days. Aero clones are the shit....until there not.

I agree with you until a few months ago. I had 100% success rate with clones for the last 10+ years, all of the sudden I cant get a clone to save my life. I even bought new pump, air stone, tubing, cloning collars, switched to bottled spring water and the stems rot off in 5 days. Aero clones are the shit....until there not.
air stone? don't you mean mist heads? That doesn't sound like an aero cloner.

hmm, well you've stumped me. Are you leaving a node at the end of the cutting? Sometimes I forget and the stems rot to the next node, but still root. You shouldn't need any additional oxygen if the cuttings are literally submerged in the air... Maybe you have too much mist?

Not trying to undermine your experience and knowledge. Just perplexing that you're having issues with something that worked flawlessly for 10 years.

Do you use any nutes or hormones? I used clonex brand for both. Haven't tried other brands but I noticed a big difference in success rate and vigor over plain water.

I just use clonex rooting hormone. Water temp stays right at 72. Ambient temp around 78, humidity at 60%. Probably took upwards of 1000 clones with not 1 loss. Lost last 90 i took.

karma sent friend. i know folks have some bacterial or fungal issues that can interrupt years of success in the clone room. i know weaselcracker had a huge problem, and it was discussed thoroughly on here,, with many folks reporting similar problems throughout their grow experience

more karma sent

how do they die exactly?

no need for exactness tho,, ha

Mars get some Z9. Or there are other similar products. It saved me completely after literally years of frustration beating my head against ‘mysterious cloning problems’.

how do they die exactly?

no need for exactness tho,, ha

For the most part the stems rot below the clone collars in 5 days. Bought all new stuff and they rotted again! Then took new clones and the new pump had failed.

Mars get some Z9. There are other similar products. It saved me completely after literally years of frustration beating my head against mysterious cloning problems. I

Thankyou! I will !

stems rot

that is what i was curious about,, i knew weaseley would know the trick,,

fortunately, for myself,, my cloning curve is at the top right now. i always do two clones and i have been continuously throwing out the second clone for a while now,, :surf:

Back
Top Bottom