Cloning Help

HigherTheHigh

I know there is probably hundreds of not thousands of posts on this but every question is different is it not?

I'm struggling with humidity at the moment as my machine broke and I'm wanting to take clones, in using root riot cubes and I wondered can I put my clones into them inside a clear bag?

The bags I plan on using are those sealable top baggie style, do I also have to have light for the first week as my plan was to bag them and stick them in the boiler cupboard as it's the perfect temperature and I can stick them on top so they get great heat.

so question is bags and can I give no light for 7 days?

Thanks!

Some light, yes. Difficult for a plant to root if it is busy dying. Kitchen windosill, on top of the medicine cabinet under the fluorescent light fixture, corner of the grow space under the canopy (but not if it's so dense that you can't crawl under there and read the newspaper, lol), et cetera.

Aside from that, the best thing to do in order to get a cutting to root is nothing; leave it alone. Stick it in a glass of water, a cup of perlite/vermiculite, container of soil, et cetera and don't bother it. You could give the mother a bit of nitrogen a day or so before taking the cuttings, though. And if you happen to be hopeless, helpless, whatever, you could bury part of a stem slightly, then cut that branch free from the mother plant after roots have grown from the buried section. Or use the air layering technique - which is basically the same thing, except that, instead of burying a section of the stem in the rooting medium, the gardener brings a rooting medium to the stem (after first removing a section of the outermost layer of the "bark"). It's a popular way to clone trees, or at least used to be. See:

Check out Lembatoast’s journals and search around. He had a method of cloning in inflated plastic bags that seemed foolproof.
I think SweetSue did it that way for a while. She would definitely know what I am taking about anyway.

Back
Top Bottom