Clrwatrtom's 1st Grow

Ah... that's where I figured you were going with this. Please let me dispel another myth.
We now know that the practice of adding rocks or other inert material at the bottom of the container does not aid in drainage. Normal soil has very carefully adjusted flow through and absorption rates and does not need any extra help in allowing excess water (that which can not be held by the soil) to flow through and drain out of the bottom simply because gravity demands that it must do so. Vermiculite and coco are very absorptive and will hold a lot of water, and because of their nature, absolutely will not allow drainage. The water absorbed in those mediums will be captured and the bottom of your container will always be wet. A similar thing happens with perlite or rocks in the bottom of the container. Because of the added surface area, a whole lot more of the bottom is going to be wet, and due to capillary action between the roots, the sides and the bottom of the container and now the surface of all this extra material in the bottom, it too will remain wet a lot longer than just plain soil would do... it actually again keeps the bottom wet, and does not help drainage at all. There is no need to "save a bit of soil." Soil is good, and what our roots crave, and since the bottom feeder roots are so important, we put our best soil, compost etc, in the bottom layers of the container. Replacing that good nutritious soil with something inert simply takes away a resource that could have been available to those lower roots. Even in Hempy, where we purposely create a reservoir in the bottom of the container of inert material, we then feed that bottom layer every time we water so that the lower roots get what they need, and this method then is superior to what you are proposing because of its ability to feed the plant, with no need for drainage.
It is always tricky to add bits and parts of one method to another and still make things work as they should.
Now I like the air pot idea... those work well. But please don't attempt to adjust the science by adding a layer of something in the bottom... Just let the pots do what they do.

You do realize that all this hard work of hauling so much water in there each day for them, is why they look the way they do? It is totally possible to grow this plant without all that extra care, and she would thrive there too... but not just to this degree. Pat yourself on the back because you have done an excellent job caring for these thirsty girls and recognizing that they wanted this from you.
I was just thinking that its a handfull to do that kinda watering.. bet it makes a difference. Yes u can get away with just soaking the plants once a day and get a decent harvest (atleast i do with coco). Keep doing your thing, plants are loving it! Great job!! :yummy: :bravo::cool:

Back
Top Bottom