Coco nutrients starting day one

Mellaya

Hi guys, I'm rookie and about to start my first grow California snow Auto by fast buds seed is almost germinated and ready to go to it's first and final 3 gallon smart pot the medium I'm using is 50:50 ratio Coco coir and perlite. Coco came as a brick but has been washed and double buffered. I'm planning to treat as hydro but I will be hand watering twice a day to start with and I'll be looking for 20-40% run off.
nutrients I'm planning on using is
Calimag
Maxicrop root growth stimulant
Canna Coco a+b
I'm planning to micro dose nutrients up to 400 ppm 5.8ph from day one bearing in mind my tap water in it self has 300 ppm I'm not left with any wiggle room to play. My question is shall I stick with my plan. Or will that kill little seedling and I'm better off tap water for week one ? The reason I want to feed my seedlings is because Coco itself has no nutrients to jump start the growth

I'd be a little concerned about the ppm of your water, it's not ridiculously high but could be enough to cause issues.. You may find you have no need of calmag, or that using it causes issues. All depends what's in that water... Also 50/50 is a lot of perlite, your going to be doing a lot of watering to keep them happy but it should be ok otherwise.

I think I would consider it if it's possible for you. Maybe some other coco growers will have a say. My water is around 100 ppm and works great. I also have a good idea what is in it from a water test I had done.
I guess there is only one way to find out for sure how it works and that is try it.

Yeah, 300 is high but not unworkable. My water is 250ppm and does the job, I can't see another 50ppm causing disasters.
I do clones in nft, usually the clones go in at 2 weeks old, that first feed is 450ppm.
So my water starts at 250ppm then I add 200ppm of nutrients and root booster to get the 450ppm.

Hi Mellaya,
400 ppm is good for the first week. Don't water to runoff the first week, you can drown the seedlings, even in coco. Better to carefully spray or pour around the seedling to moisten the coco. Several times a day is good. Water to runoff when the seedling is a little bit bigger.
Skip the perlite.

Thanks guys, can't afford RO water for whole grow cycle but decided to use it for first few weeks from seedling until plant is strong enough. I will then start to use my tap water with God knows what in it haha. Do I calmag everyday every watering or once every other day ?

Thanks guys, can't afford RO water for whole grow cycle but decided to use it for first few weeks from seedling until plant is strong enough. I will then start to use my tap water with God knows what in it haha. Do I calmag everyday every watering or once every other day ?
Sounds like a good idea with the water.
I only use calmag when the plants need a little, I leave it out if I can get away with it. RO water usually needs a little extra, i only use about 1.5ml per gallon when i put some in.

Also could I premix my solution for let's say 4 days in advance would it go bad if I keep monitoring ppm and pH or is it better to mix fresh one every time I water.

Also could I premix my solution for let's say 4 days in advance would it go bad if I keep monitoring ppm and pH or is it better to mix fresh one every time I water.

It depends on what additives you add. Some of them will raise/lower the pH over time. You have to try your mix and see if the pH is okay when it's time to water. Otherwise you need to readjust the pH before each feeding.

I personally make it up when I need it when growing in pots, I have buckets of water sitting around to release the chlorine from tap water, so always ample water ready.
I know others on here keep it around for a couple of days.

So I did potted the seed yesterday 22:00 watering with RO water calimag seaweed extract and canna Coco a + b about 1/4 recommend dose with ppm of 300. Seedling seems ok. So I think. A bit concerned it might be stretching for light got 100w led light 16' above seedling what do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_220221.jpg
    IMG_20200424_220221.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 152
16' might be a little too high, lol!

If you're planning on using your tap water later, you may want to see what the Total Alkalinity (TA) is. Pool test strips can tell you if you don't have another way. Anyway, I was using my well water, and could never get the pH to stabilize. Doc Bud mentioned TA, and mine was off the chart. I got a rain barrel, lol!

Welcome.
I have used tap water for years which is high ppms already and find I can get a seedling to 2 sets of true leaves without adding nutes. As others have said you don't need to water the hole pot at the start just around the seedling.

I wouldn't recommend any greater than a 70/30 mix with your perlite unless you plan on watering via automation or multiple times a day.

Good luck.

Day 4 right now watered till run off yesterday to test run off pH ppm. Ppm is not concerning me anymore however pH gone up from 5.8 coming in to 6.4 coming out. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_123933.jpg
    IMG_20200427_123933.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 138
Plant looks okay. But got some green residue on my perlite could this be algae or Trichoderma is this normal ? Maybe algae caused by to water without clorine?

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_113031.jpg
    IMG_20200428_113031.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom