Confusion about pH advice here

Wulves

Hey everyone in my previous post I was told get a PH meter and that my issues could be PH related.
I did state I'm using Distilled water.
Now I'm reading this from another post :
Distilled water is so pure that no pH meter can give you an accurate measurement. Do not pH it. You can open a gallon of distilled water when it's brand new and test the pH and it will read one number, then you can leave the lid off for a few hours and tested again and it will read a different number. This is because pH water is so pure and neutral it is CO2 in the air changing the reading. Do not adjust the pH of distilled water. Regardless of what your meter says, distilled water does not even have a real pH.
So what am I to be taking PH readings from water or soil .
Confused.
And is there 2 different PH readers one for soil and one for water???

Yes, there are pH meters for liquid and different ones for soil. Yes, it's TRUE that distilled water by itself never needs pH'ed. It's also true about how it acts with CO2 in the atmosphere because that water is so pure and has no real pH because there are no minerals in it to buffer a pH.
So what am I to be taking PH readings from water or soil .
This totally depends on what you are doing exactly. I mean are you growing in real organic living soil? Are you growing in a soilless medium? Are you growing hydroponically? Layout for us how you are growing and what you were growing in and what sort of nutrients you are feeding your plant.

7 days old it's an Auto Flowering Afgan Skunk.
Humidity 66
Heat 77
CFL LIGHTING
Plant is now 6 inches from 32 watt CFL.
Was doing well then suddenly last 2 days developed yellowing pale leaves.
Stunted growth maybe I haven't noticed any height changes.
Opinions , thoughts.
How does it look to you.
FYI soil is moist, maybe guilty of over misting
Just starter mix .
Got some advice from here about adding some nutrient soil to the seedling with present soil.
Issue is sudden yellowing of leaves they were beautiful 2 days ago.
Trying to nip this in the bud ..?

Attachments

• 20190302_172508.jpg
    20190302_172508.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190302_162911.jpg
    20190302_162911.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 42
Yeah you shouldnt need to ph anything for organic soil but for every other method best to have it handy. If you've got problems though it's the soil ph you need to check. If you don't have a soil meter check the ph of the run off. It's an inaccurate way to do it but if the run off is different from what goes in then you at least know there's a problem and roughly how bad it is.

Thanks guys going get a soil PH reader today and add some Happy Frog soil to give it height and some food as suggested.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Also I covered the clear cups to stop the roots from absorbing light also as suggested here.
You all been so very helpful.
Thank you

Just spotted your post with the pics mate. Need to get more light on it. That bulb isn't nearly enough for an auto.
Thanks Barney86, even though it's only 8 days old ? I was told at this stage a 32 watt is fine until it really starts to veg.
I can jack this up to 150watts NP
What do you think?

Looks way too wet to me. That will get you every time

Agree looks too wet, and yeah the clear cups not good as light will kill the root ends. Just a CFL bulb may work (some folks have done it) but not going to give you much for results IMHO and with the price of seeds and all that stuff not worthwhile to bother in my opinion.

Thanks Barney86, even though it's only 8 days old ? I was told at this stage a 32 watt is fine until it really starts to veg.
I can jack this up to 150watts NP
What do you think?
Do it mate. I start under a 130w cfl but it's one of the big ones with a reflector. Can keep 8 plants happy for 2-3 weeks. Yours though unfortunately is the size of a 1day old. Should have first full set of leaves by now.
Keep her moist but not wet and don't let her dry right out.
That light be fine for a photo plant cos she'll still be rooting up but for autos your on a timer so gotta get them as big as possible before they bloom. Anywhere between 20- 50 days so you might have time for that, you might not.

Do it mate. I start under a 130w cfl but it's one of the big ones with a reflector. Can keep 8 plants happy for 2-3 weeks. Yours though unfortunately is the size of a 1day old. Should have first full set of leaves by now.
Keep her moist but not wet and don't let her dry right out.
That light be fine for a photo plant cos she'll still be rooting up but for autos your on a timer so gotta get them as big as possible before they bloom. Anywhere between 20- 50 days so you might have time for that, you might not.
Cool thank you so much.
Slot of advice here is right in front of me at home looking at the situation in the Grow rm and knowing the Autos and how they run it's pretty obvious I should know and realize all the advice I am getting is common sense.
Thank you bud.

Back
Top Bottom