Decoding The Holy Grail: Terpene & Cannabinoid Retention: Decarb to Extraction

"EDit to add: I don't grind things up. I crumble it by hand. I wonder if that would make a difference for you? "

I retired the spice grinder last month. Crumbling by hand now. Not grinding does help with the taste. And, as I believe BCDD said, I don't think there are any cannabinoids inside. The overnite drip sounds like worth trying. Also, I will look for the bags. Can't hurt.

Another toy to buy: OldBear, I bet a vacuum setup pulling on the mash would help.....??? thoughts? I was thinking of using one for ethanol but you need a certain type that will not let the fumes into the motor.

Something to ponder. In ethanol extractions: If that stat I found about max concentration being apx 20mg/ml, then at the first sign of "falling out" during evaporation, your ethanol should be exactly at that %. ?

Something to ponder. In ethanol extractions: If that stat I found about max concentration being apx 20mg/ml, then at the first sign of "falling out" during evaporation, your ethanol should be exactly at that %. ?

a little something else to ponder, kickn.

I've seen this saturation ratio referenced on several sites but have yet to see where the data is derived. I saw a very in depth discussion using some highly technical computations breaking the ratio down from moles to a saturation point of 23.6mg/ml BUT this discussion was referencing the actual ethanol extraction capabilities rather than the ability to hold the given amount in a stable mixture.

I recollect (beware; never trust my memory!) a commercial processor explaining his method. He used 1 gal of 190 ethanol per pound of trim, generally running 3-5 lb batches at a time. After extraction he temporarily halted evaporation at 16 oz and allowed it to rest for (don't remember number) of hours and noticed no separation. When he completed evaporation, he said he had harvested 240 grams of cco. Using trim, that ratio is a bit of a stretch for me to swallow, but for the sake of argument and if my math is close to accurate, that would be 200g/ml (maybe?).

Ethanol seems to be miscible with most substances, possessing the properties of forming an homogeneous mixture at any proportion.

I'm wondering if this saturation ratio isn't referring to the point at which ethanol will no longer extract cannabinoids? In the words of a wise gentleman among us, " I never know".

a little something else to ponder, kickn.

I've seen this saturation ratio referenced on several sites but have yet to see where the data is derived. I saw a very in depth discussion using some highly technical computations breaking the ratio down from moles to a saturation point of 23.6mg/ml BUT this discussion was referencing the actual ethanol extraction capabilities rather than the ability to hold the given amount in a stable mixture.

I recollect (beware; never trust my memory!) a commercial processor explaining his method. He used 1 gal of 190 ethanol per pound of trim, generally running 3-5 lb batches at a time. After extraction he temporarily halted evaporation at 16 oz and allowed it to rest for (don't remember number) of hours and noticed no separation. When he completed evaporation, he said he had harvested 240 grams of cco. Using trim, that ratio is a bit of a stretch for me to swallow, but for the sake of argument and if my math is close to accurate, that would be 200g/ml (maybe?).

Ethanol seems to be miscible with most substances, possessing the properties of forming an homogeneous mixture at any proportion.

I'm wondering if this saturation ratio isn't referring to the point at which ethanol will no longer extract cannabinoids? In the words of a wise gentleman among us, " I never know".

I think I am following you. I believe you are implying that he got 240 g of CCO out of whatever and dissolved it into 16 ounces of ethanol. that would be 454 mL of ethanol. That would give you a concentration of .53 g of CCO per milliliter. We don't know the strength of his CCO. If it were at 50% he would have about 250 wanted institution on the 250 mg/mL.

I'm still thinking that at whatever point it will not extract any more THC, that is probably the saturation point overall. Or maybe it would hold little more all when it was warm and fallout when it cooled down or something.from a

Hi Canyon,
Can you resend me the info for your dry ice extraction?
I didn't get a chance to write down your process!
Thank you
While you're there Canyon, I'd appreciate a copy as well. :kisstwo:

Hi Canyon,
Can you resend me the info for your dry ice extraction?
I didn't get a chance to write down your process!
Thank you
I don't have it saved. I am also under some deadlines that life throws at you. I did figure out that you can click the three dots between the starting page and ending pages and get an option to select a page number.
there are three post, maybe 4, over two pages. My best guess would to start around the first of December. If you find them, let me know. I will multi quote them so they will be together.

You may want to use CCOilers' tutorial. It is in his signature. It is well documented and includes a decarb. What I tried was a tweak of someones process. My recovery percentages were not great. The oil looks nice though with no more than a single filtering.

Changing subjects, I found this link on Winterizing. It is a blog, and the direct link may get pulled.

WINTERIZING & POLISHING BHO EXTRACTS USING ETHANOL

XXX.extractcrafter.com/2017/12/04/winterizing-polishing-bho-extracts-using-ethanol

Canyon,
There's some interesting stuff on that link. Again, hopefully he has facts to back up this & that. I read one recently where the guy advocates heating up the ethanol to get CCO to blend in better, then dewax after. Now this guy is saying something I've not heard elsewhere.....about chlorophyll...."once it's in there, it's in there." HMMM.

Kickn,
I had some alcohol extract that had been partially reduced that was rather green. I set the jar in the sun for about 30 minutes thinking it would take some of the color out. At 30 minutes it had no sign of green. That was the first time I checked it, the clearing time could have been even shorter. I have no idea what happened other than the green was gone. I probably should read another chapter in my chemistry book.
I never know

"I had some alcohol extract that had been partially reduced that was rather green. I set the jar in the sun for about 30 minutes thinking it would take some of the color out. At 30 minutes it had no sign of green. That was the first time I checked it, the clearing time could have been even shorter. I have no idea what happened other than the green was gone. I probably should read another chapter in my chemistry book.
I never know"

I read that somewhere also. But one guy who supposidly knew some biochemistry said the color would bleach but the taste would still be there. Do you remember anything about the oil?

To anyone else reading this, I'd appreciate the help spreading the word about my latest thread.

Opioid Tapering With Cannabis - A Regimen

Thank you :hug:

I read that somewhere also. But one guy who supposidly knew some biochemistry said the color would bleach but the taste would still be there. Do you remember anything about the oil?

It was probably 5 years ago. It was a time when all of a sudden, I had more cannabis than I was aloud by law. I did a lot of experimenting, wasted a lot of material and increased my intake. I knew next to nothing. It was just try this and try that.

About all I remember was the jar was mostly alcohol and the oil being clean, only seriously green. Then 30 minutes later it was a nice lite amber color.

I do recall from somewhere that sunlight (UV?) only took the color out. If actually works though......

Canyon,
There's some interesting stuff on that link. Again, hopefully he has facts to back up this & that. I read one recently where the guy advocates heating up the ethanol to get CCO to blend in better, then dewax after. Now this guy is saying something I've not heard elsewhere.....about chlorophyll...."once it's in there, it's in there." HMMM.

Interesting. So this would change the color, but have no effect on the taste? Aside from taste, what's the concern about chlorophyll? It's the plant equivalent of hemoglobin and I've never been able to figure out why that's a bad thing to include in any oil.

If we're using capsules is the taste a real concern?

Back
Top Bottom