All About Terpene Supplements: Holy Grail Thread Spin-off

#4 :cheesygrinsmiley::geek:

:cco::smokin::love::cco:

BCDD, With luck, I will be dropping off an oil sample Thursday or Friday for testing. I will try to time it around mid morning when it is likely to be slow. They already know we are interested in terpenes. I will ask if they would recommend a supplier. They have already cautioned me to be careful of sources.

They have said "Call if you need to ask something." I don't want to abuse it. Consulting is $200 an hour. It is better to share some bud and plant fotoes with each other and work a few questions in. One of those guys has some nice plants in 35 gallon pots.

I never know

Hi Canyon - the be careful with sources - was that just general or have they identified some specific companies to avoid?

I prefer 4 but 3 is readable.

Hi Canyon - the be careful with sources - was that just general or have they identified some specific companies to avoid?

I prefer 4 but 3 is readable.

Good question, My impression was that they knew or suspected some specific companies should not be used. New Mexico only has about 50 thousand medical card holders. It is not like the Left Coast. There is not much cannabis related R&D being done. They probably don't know a lot more than what they have learned from talking to coworkers in other States, that is a lot more than I know. One guy acted like he may have some direct knowledge.

They may be busy and I won't learn anything. Taking the positive approach. Does anyone have questions for the lab crew?

"From our effects chart you'll see that public health research indicates Terpinolene in isolation has sedative effects. We have found that to be true. However, when combined with other substances it appears to have uplifting, stimulating effects."

This premise raises an interesting question in my mind, as well as another point of confusion. :hmmmm:

In a quest to find seed stock for the perfect strain for my needs, in addition to perusing various reviews, I place a lot of credence in the terpene content. In the past, if I wanted a sedative effect, I look for strains containing high amounts of myrcene, linalool or terpinolene. Seeking an uplifting effect, I've always looked to limonene, a-pinene, etc, etc.

But now, if the above statement is factual, (and with my experienced effect of the Durban Poison blend with gobs of supposedly sedative terpinolene, I can't contradict it's validity) I'm going to have to stop relying on the prominent terpene content of a given strain to predict its effects.

I've considered buying individual terpene isolates and creating my own blends but with this newly found information this could be insurmountably confusing and mixtures would truly be a trial and error challenge.

Just another question in a long list of confusing anomalies!?!

BCDD

"From our effects chart you'll see that public health research indicates Terpinolene in isolation has sedative effects. We have found that to be true. However, when combined with other substances it appears to have uplifting, stimulating effects."

This premise raises an interesting question in my mind, as well as another point of confusion. :hmmmm:

In a quest to find seed stock for the perfect strain for my needs, in addition to perusing various reviews, I place a lot of credence in the terpene content. In the past, if I wanted a sedative effect, I look for strains containing high amounts of myrcene, linalool or terpinolene. Seeking an uplifting effect, I've always looked to limonene, a-pinene, etc, etc.

But now, if the above statement is factual, (and with my experienced effect of the Durban Poison blend with gobs of supposedly sedative terpinolene, I can't contradict it's validity) I'm going to have to stop relying on the prominent terpene content of a given strain to predict its effects.

I've considered buying individual terpene isolates and creating my own blends but with this newly found information this could be insurmountably confusing and mixtures would truly be a trial and error challenge.

BCDD
I've been looking at strain reviews and also reading what strains people have been using to treat conditions medically. But maybe we need to setup a poll for what strains people are using and have found effective for different things (pain, sleep, spasms, seizures, anxiety, etc. ). Perhaps from there we could work backwards and figure out the terpenes responsible or at last find patterns?

BCDD

Like cannabis, terpenes appear to be mostly trial and error. I think you've stumbled onto something. We have a large, curious bunch of lab rats standing around you. I think this group of explorers are an excellent starting point for such an endeavor. So it's trial and error. We're familiar with that concept. Take notes and be methodical. That sounds like something very doable,M something we do all the time, and we can share our results with each other and keep tweaking it until we have some formulations we know with certainty will offer consistent results.

It just got more exciting, no? :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

I've been looking at strain reviews and also reading what strains people have been using to treat conditions medically. But maybe we need to setup a poll for what strains people are using and have found effective for different things (pain, sleep, spasms, seizures, anxiety, etc. ). Perhaps from there we could work backwards and figure out the terpenes responsible or at last find patterns?

I agree, but keep in mind well be dealing with the reality that the same chemovar will produce different effects for individual patients. It's still the best place to start, IMO. If we start a poll thread we can broadcast its presence widely and see what comes in.

A thought if this is the way we go: such a thread would be most useful is it were limited to the testimonials and recommendations, with no conversation. I'm considering that approach with a series of threads I'm putting together on opioid withdrawal. There'd be the main thread with the regimen and protocols and a pair of sister threads - one to post the regimens of members who've attempted withdrawal with cannabis and a second one for conversations about that thread. In this way the entire testimonial thread would be lacking the clutter of conversations.

Those conversations are important though, and I'm hoping the convo thread will fill that need. In the case of this suggested poll, the conversations would be going on over here.

I agree, but keep in mind well be dealing with the reality that the same chemovar will produce different effects for individual patients. It's still the best place to start, IMO. If we start a poll thread we can broadcast its presence widely and see what comes in.

A thought if this is the way we go: such a thread would be most useful is it were limited to the testimonials and recommendations, with no conversation. I'm considering that approach with a series of threads I'm putting together on opioid withdrawal. There'd be the main thread with the regimen and protocols and a pair of sister threads - one to post the regimens of members who've attempted withdrawal with cannabis and a second one for conversations about that thread. In this way the entire testimonial thread would be lacking the clutter of conversations.

Those conversations are important though, and I'm hoping the convo thread will fill that need. In the case of this suggested poll, the conversations would be going on over here.
I agree.

BCDD,
There is a link to an interactive chart I started a few months ago that is Ok with 420 to post to threads. Someone here will have the link. I have been reworking it. I have most of the physical properties filled in now for 49 terpenes. The 'Good for' section, well it is started. I know more than I did then about excel formulas. I want to rework some code and clean it up some. It is going to be a while before I can get back to it. I am receptive to feedback. The categories section needs a lot more thought.

I never know

Great idea. Reverse engineering of sorts.

"I've been looking at strain reviews and also reading what strains people have been using to treat conditions medically. But maybe we need to setup a poll for what strains people are using and have found effective for different things (pain, sleep, spasms, seizures, anxiety, etc. ). Perhaps from there we could work backwards and figure out the terpenes responsible or at last find patterns?"

"Like cannabis, terpenes appear to be mostly trial and error. I think you've stumbled onto something. We have a large, curious bunch of lab rats standing around you. I think this group of explorers are an excellent starting point for such an endeavor. So it's trial and error. We're familiar with that concept. Take notes and be methodical. That sounds like something very doable,M something we do all the time, and we can share our results with each other and keep tweaking it until we have some formulations we know with certainty will offer consistent results."

I think this would really be advantageous to our learning process but organization is going to be the key to success. Rather than contributors posting their experiences randomly throughout the thread, how can we gather the data in one place in an organized fashion and continually update it as info comes in? (Think before you present a solution because a viable idea will probably be followed by an attempt on our part to draft you to facilitate it!) I have the will but my limited capabilities will exempt me from fulfilling this role. (Remember that was me struggling to upload a photo!)

OFF TOPIC ALERT

Back several weeks ago when our little garden gnome of an attorney general rescinded the Cole memo, I was dissapointed. I've never been as politically involved as perhaps I should, but I felt the need to reach out to my congressmen and at least voice my disapproval. I drafted a letter and sent it to the Senators and Representatives in both states in which I live.

"With the recent rescission of the Cole Memo by our attorney general, perhaps it's time for our congressional leaders to take a serious look at the advantages of enacting meaningful legislation regarding regulation of cannabis at a federal level.

This recent decision of A.G. Sessions makes it painfully obvious that legislation through a simple memo opens a door that allows the will of the people you serve to be usurped by an individual with apparent personal prejudices. Such latitude could be curtailed by simply enacting legislation lending much needed judicial guidance for this flourishing industry.

While I disagree with Mr. Session's decision, I accept the legitimacy of his action. The apathy of our legislators on this subject presently affords regulation through unfounded bias while disregarding public consensus.

I urge you to support legislation offering sensible access to cannabis at a federal level. This has quickly evolved into a thriving industry that lends credence to legitimate advantages on many fronts. It has created an invaluable tax base for the states that have embraced it. The number of jobs it has created will only continue to grow exponentially if allowed to do so. While many branches of government are ignoring the viable medical aspects of this product, it's efficacy is undeniable for the millions that have experienced relief for a long list of maladies. Until the madness of the 1937 criminalization of marijuana, cannabis based medicinal products were one of the most prominent prescriptions in the medicine cabinets of our forefathers. It's time once again to restore access of this valuable product to the general public."

Sadly, of the six congressmen I contacted, only two responded.

"Thanks very much for getting in touch with me and letting me know what's on your mind regarding the legalization of marijuana.

One of the best things Washington, D.C. can do for the state of XXXXXXXXX is to respect the constitutional prerogative of state legislators and governors to make decisions on behalf of the people who elected them. I respect the rights of states to make their own decisions, and the state of XXXXXXXXX has legalized the use of CBD oil for medicinal purposes. ThE state of XXXXXXXXX has not yet passed a law to legalize recreational marijuana.

While I have supported federal legislation that allows states to legalize the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, I am concerned about the potential abuse and widespread use of drugs for recreational purposes and will study any legislation to legalize marijuana at the federal level very carefully.

Drug addiction has ravaged the lives of too many Americans. In 2015, an estimated 27.1 million Americans used illicit drugs, and 2.3 million received treatment for an abuse problem. This immense human tragedy is coupled with significant economic losses. Beyond the tragic destruction of human life, the economic costs of drug abuse are seen in health care costs, criminal justice expenditures, and lost productivity totaling $193 billion in 2015, the last year for which federal data is available.

I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with me and letting me know your thoughts on legalizing marijuana. I will keep your comments in mind as this issue is discussed and debated in Washington and in XXXXXXXX.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX"

Enthused that he supports state's rights but very dissapointed that he's grouped cannabis in the same category as other drugs when assigning blame for the country's addiction woes!

The second response was a letter received by snail mail today. It was a full page of eloquent lip service that I'll spare you but the one sentence this was telling was:

"There are many medical professionals who maintain that there are legal drugs currently available that are comparable to medical marijuana in dealing with pain and other symptoms."

Good luck with sensible federal legitimacy of cannabis while these gentlemen are at the helm!!

I dropped off a sample of the botched batch of oil for an extended potency test. I ask about terpene suppliers. He said he was only speaking personalty and not for SH, but two of the employs were using True Terpene.

Just a heads up, if you are having anything other than buds tested, it is a good idea to let the lab know what the dilution is. You will get a better test.

New Mexico News

XXX.thefix.com/will-new-mexico-be-next-state-legalize-it

Will New Mexico Be the Next State to Legalize It?

By Victoria Kim 02/02/18
If so, the state would be the second to legalize cannabis for adult use through the state legislature rather than a voter referendum.

New Mexico may be next in line to legalize cannabis for adult use. The Drug Policy Alliance reported that on Wednesday, Jan 31, a state representative introduced House Bill 312 to tax and regulate cannabis in New Mexico.

"The war on marijuana has been a miserable failure," said Rep. Javier Martinez, who introduced the measure. "We spend millions of dollars criminalizing people who use marijuana without seeing benefits to public health or safety. We need to legalize marijuana in New Mexico and stop the harm that disproportionately impacts those who are living in poverty and those who are Black, Native and Hispanic/Latino.".............

...........Proponents of the measure acknowledge that they don't expect HB 312 to pass in 2018, but look forward to the conversation that it will generate in the state legislature. A second measure was introduced in the state senate for the same purpose. SJR 4 was pre-filed by state Senator Gerald Ortiz y Pino to amend the state constitution to legalize, tax and regulate cannabis for adult use. As of January 17, the measure was referred to the Senate Rules Committee, according to NORML.

If either of these measures make it to the governor's desk, New Mexico would become the 10th state to legalize cannabis for adult use, and the second to legalize cannabis through the state legislature rather than voter referendum.

The State needs the revenue. Last years bill never came to the floor.

New Mexico News

XXX.thefix.com/will-new-mexico-be-next-state-legalize-it

Will New Mexico Be the Next State to Legalize It?

By Victoria Kim 02/02/18
If so, the state would be the second to legalize cannabis for adult use through the state legislature rather than a voter referendum.

New Mexico may be next in line to legalize cannabis for adult use. The Drug Policy Alliance reported that on Wednesday, Jan 31, a state representative introduced House Bill 312 to tax and regulate cannabis in New Mexico.

"The war on marijuana has been a miserable failure," said Rep. Javier Martinez, who introduced the measure. "We spend millions of dollars criminalizing people who use marijuana without seeing benefits to public health or safety. We need to legalize marijuana in New Mexico and stop the harm that disproportionately impacts those who are living in poverty and those who are Black, Native and Hispanic/Latino.".............

...........Proponents of the measure acknowledge that they don't expect HB 312 to pass in 2018, but look forward to the conversation that it will generate in the state legislature. A second measure was introduced in the state senate for the same purpose. SJR 4 was pre-filed by state Senator Gerald Ortiz y Pino to amend the state constitution to legalize, tax and regulate cannabis for adult use. As of January 17, the measure was referred to the Senate Rules Committee, according to NORML.

If either of these measures make it to the governor's desk, New Mexico would become the 10th state to legalize cannabis for adult use, and the second to legalize cannabis through the state legislature rather than voter referendum.

The State needs the revenue. Last years bill never came to the floor.

AMEN and KUDOS to you, Rep. Javier Martinez

Thank goodness there's still sanity in some legislative bodies, unfortunately, it doesn't live in these deep red conservative southern states!

Lots of luck on the referendum.

I dropped off a sample of the botched batch of oil for an extended potency test. I ask about terpene suppliers. He said he was only speaking personalty and not for SH, but two of the employs were using True Terpene.

Just a heads up, if you are having anything other than buds tested, it is a good idea to let the lab know what the dilution is. You will get a better test.

Thanx, canyon. That reinforces my my tentative positive feelings about them. I feel good about their product but still dissapointed with the inflated shipping charges.

If you're like me and not not aware how small a 2ml vial is, take a look at these for comparison.

IMG_025570.JPG

The one on the left is 1oz, next 1/2oz and then the 2ml vial. It's about thumbnail size. I have a little problem handling it with my big thick not so dexterous fingers. True Terpenes also sells a 1/2ml quantity in a sample pack. I can't imagine how small that rascal is. Probably need a good set of tweezers to handle that!

Ok, oldbear, here's the start of your experiment. 1/4oz of MCT oil with 2 drops of Dogwalker OG. I saw where someone posted some really good info from another terpene supplier that they mix pretty much instantly but I think I picked up some directions from True Terpenes advising 24-48 hours for proper dispersal so I'm going to draw a happy medium and call her done tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to build a few #1 caps and try one after lunch tomorrow and see if I feel any effects and give you a report. If not, just for kicks and giggles may double up and see what shakes out!

This strain is a pretty heavy indica if I remember correctly and I'm planning on supplementing some nighttime meds im using to see if it will help with my stubborn insomnia.

Hey, #4 print just for you! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom