Do I got Bud Rot?

flowrrpowrr

I lost 3 tents to bud rot recently. I scrubbed every surface and used fungicide more than once before starting again with 2 GG4 autoflowers. The yongest is now 8-9 weeks old in a 10 gal fabric pot with 70/30 coco perlite and it looks healthy.

I noticed recently that the buds had changed color and are now more purple and pink.

This didn't happen to the 9-10 week old GG4 in the same 5x5. My temps are low 70's at night and high 70's under light. The RH is generally 55%-65%, but can climb during fert/runoff.
I started looking at the buds with magnification and was crushed to see lots of fine white hair growing around the pistils and trichomes. I haven't seen this in the past and my first thought was could this be more fuzzy white mold or bud rot?

What do you think?
Am I looking at another doomed plant or am I looking at nothing?

thanks,

You should be much lower humidity during flower. I like to be 35-45max. I too have lost harvest because of overlooking high temp/high humidity. Spelling disaster for mold and rot.

Fingers crossed! I would pull out a scope, better to pluck a few nugs or colas now vs losing it all.

Do you foliar spray? Just curious!

I've got a few colorful plants going on. I've seen a variety of colors during harvest!

Here's one now of the Hobo Ladies

You should be much lower humidity during flower. I like to be 35-45max. I too have lost harvest because of overlooking high temp/high humidity. Spelling disaster for mold and rot.

Fingers crossed! I would pull out a scope, better to pluck a few nugs or colas now vs losing it all.

Do you foliar spray? Just curious!

I've got a few colorful plants going on. I've seen a variety of colors during harvest!

Here's one now of the Hobo Ladies
South Florida humidity is a bitch.
I do not spray unless I see aphids or PM
Thinking about a serious dehumidifier upgrade
Love that pic!

sounds like you have experience
I brought some rot in from the outdoor grow last year and infected my indoors as well.
And the leaves in the bud shrivelling up like that makes me go oh no.
Bag the branch and cut & remove.
As well inspecting and handling buds like that only makes it go poof and spread.
Once it's in the plant though it usually pops up again, growers with many plants instantly axe the entire thing, those of us that don't usually try to cut infected parts and push on a bit in hope of getting something from it.

The humidity you're running is fine for veg but once in flower you don't want it to get up that high any more.
If it's plagued several grows maybe it's indeed best to first invest in getting that under control.
As it's super frustrating all that work not being able to finish properly and reduced yields.

Might want to not only clean the tents but take on the room the tents are in, and maybe treat the room with dehumidifier and maybe air sanitiser? so the tent doesn't suck in humid spore filled air to begin with.
But then you still need to get rid of the humidity in the tent the plants bring so best to have an exhaust that gets triggered as soon as the humidity reaches a set level and have that exhaust lead out of the room you're in so you're not circulating and treating the same air.
It's a lot but might be needed to grow in that environment. How do others do it over there?

You temps and RH are not that far off. I don't see any mold but something has prematurely stressed the pistols before the trichomes were done. Do you have a fan circulating air through the foliage? The surface of the plant is the source of the moisture. Without direct air flow RH can be 10 to 20 points higher at the leaf surface than it is 1 inches from a leaf. Direct air flow lowers moisture and temp at the plant surface. Pistols could have gotten hot. RH is just an indirect measurement of water vapor related to air temp when you are trying to measure water vapor on plant surface. Without good air flow RH measurements are pointless.

I brought some rot in from the outdoor grow last year and infected my indoors as well.
And the leaves in the bud shrivelling up like that makes me go oh no.
Bag the branch and cut & remove.
As well inspecting and handling buds like that only makes it go poof and spread.
Once it's in the plant though it usually pops up again, growers with many plants instantly axe the entire thing, those of us that don't usually try to cut infected parts and push on a bit in hope of getting something from it.

The humidity you're running is fine for veg but once in flower you don't want it to get up that high any more.
If it's plagued several grows maybe it's indeed best to first invest in getting that under control.
As it's super frustrating all that work not being able to finish properly and reduced yields.

Might want to not only clean the tents but take on the room the tents are in, and maybe treat the room with dehumidifier and maybe air sanitiser? so the tent doesn't suck in humid spore filled air to begin with.
But then you still need to get rid of the humidity in the tent the plants bring so best to have an exhaust that gets triggered as soon as the humidity reaches a set level and have that exhaust lead out of the room you're in so you're not circulating and treating the same air.
It's a lot but might be needed to grow in that environment. How do others do it over there?

there's a 800 cfm exhaust in that tent vented outdoors and 4 low-speed fans running 24 hrs for 2 plants.
Not good enough.
I'll upgrade my dehumidifier before the next thing and get that under control.
I've moved the pink girl outside to start bombarding it with mold solutions just for fun.
She's dead to me.
I'm focused on getting the 10 week plant flushed and chopped asap.
Just hoping to get some cured before it's too late.

I've moved the purple girl outside to quarantine and I'm focusing on flushing and chopping big sis

You temps and RH are not that far off. I don't see any mold but something has prematurely stressed the pistols before the trichomes were done. Do you have a fan circulating air through the foliage? The surface of the plant is the source of the moisture. Without direct air flow RH can be 10 to 20 points higher at the leaf surface than it is 1 inches from a leaf. Direct air flow lowers moisture and temp at the plant surface. Pistols could have gotten hot. RH is just an indirect measurement of water vapor related to air temp when you are trying to measure water vapor on plant surface. Without good air flow RH measurements are pointless.
Now I'm really intrigued. I've never heard of this kind of thing related to stress. Are you talking about the color change or the fine hairs cropping up all over? I have lots of air movement 24 hrs/day with 4 low speed fans and an 800cfm exhaust.

there's a 800 cfm exhaust in that tent vented outdoors and 4 low-speed fans running 24 hrs for 2 plants.
Not good enough.
I'll upgrade my dehumidifier before the next thing and get that under control.
I've moved the pink girl outside to start bombarding it with mold solutions just for fun.
She's dead to me.
I'm focused on getting the 10 week plant flushed and chopped asap.
Just hoping to get some cured before it's too late.

I've moved the purple girl outside to quarantine and I'm focusing on flushing and chopping big sis
ooh she looks fine!
But is it confirmed? did you remove and dissect the bud to see?

Now I'm really intrigued. I've never heard of this kind of thing related to stress. Are you talking about the color change or the fine hairs cropping up all over? I have lots of air movement 24 hrs/day with 4 low speed fans and an 800cfm exhaust.
I was referring to the pistols that have turned brown. Generally this happens when the plant is done and trics are starting into amber. They look clear and still developing in the picture. Stress is pretty much the only reason why they would turn before the trichomes are almost ready. It is the sign that the plant has given up on trying to reproduce (flower). Not saying it's done. They haven't all turned so you are still in flower. Light burn is a common cause and not having air circulating over the canopies, compound's the effect. Lack of moving air also creates a micro environment for mold. That's the connections I was drawing from. If you have enough breeze to gently move the leaves it's all good.

Are you referring to the hairs on the leaf like this? Bottom of center leaflet is the best pic I have. Zoomed in screen shot on a phone camera. Those hairs are normal. I don't see anything unusual in your pics.
Screenshot_20240413_204403_Gallery.jpg

I snapped another pic after I moved her outside.
I mean I feel that's still hard to see those whispery thin threads? , I'd just cut the affected bud and open it up (away from the others) to check for mould.
That way you're sure instead considering her already as a dead.

Dehumidifier in Florida is huge! Just relocated a few years back after being awful for awhil

I mean I feel that's still hard to see those whispery thin threads? , I'd just cut the affected bud and open it up (away from the others) to check for mould.
That way you're sure instead considering her already as a dead.

You're right.
I can't get a pic with my phone of what I see at 60x.
I'll

The pictures are not confirming mold to me. To me that GG4 is just the spitting image of her grandmother chocolate Thai. Long thin green leaves, and dark brown calyx. Short glandular and long thin modified trichomes. Perfectly normal and healthy for the strain. In person it may be different but hate for you to condemn a healthy plant. Long strait hairs between the headed trichomes is normal.
macro bud hairjpg.jpg

If the colors inversed where the leaves turned purple/brown and the calyx turned white/grey that is rot.

032A1703-4-768x512.jpg

Mold is normally vary easy to spot and grows in specific conditions. I don't see the mold, effects or conditions for growing it. Never the less, if it sheds white/grey talcum powder, that is mold.

The pictures are not confirming mold to me. To me that GG4 is just the spitting image of her grandmother chocolate Thai. Long thin green leaves, and dark brown calyx. Short glandular and long thin modified trichomes. Perfectly normal and healthy for the strain. In person it may be different but hate for you to condemn a healthy plant. Long strait hairs between the headed trichomes is normal.
macro bud hairjpg.jpg

If the colors inversed where the leaves turned purple/brown and the calyx turned white/grey that is rot.

032A1703-4-768x512.jpg

Mold is normally vary easy to spot and grows in specific conditions. I don't see the mold, effects or conditions for growing it. Never the less, if it sheds white/grey talcum powder, that is mold.

I appreciate the expertise. My leaves are beautiiful at this point and nothing powdery has happened. So strange looking that I'm beginning to wonder if this is really GG4. This is the 6th one and the only one that turned purple and pink. I'm staying on it. It may even get to come back inside when I chop it's sister.

An easy way to check if you have bud rot - where you think there may be mould, give one of the fan leaves a gentle tug
If the leaf just slides off, you got rot, in which case chop that entire bud off and burn it
Usually by the time you notice mould/rot, it has already infected the immediate proximity too

Back
Top Bottom