Do seed sacs always produce seeds?

tallboy2023

I'm nervous I'm getting seeds again 😡 Thoughts?

IMG_8337.jpeg

IMG_8338.jpeg

IMG_1864.png

It definitely looks like your plants have some seeds. Any idea what the pollen source could be?
Any male flowers or nanners? Judging from the size if those seeds they would have been releasi g pollen at least a couple of weeks ago, probably more like 3 or 4.

I had a white widow Hermie on me last round. Filled everything else with seeds. One of the plants in this round is from the same WW seed batch I originally bought. Maybe it's just a bad batch. Or maybe I didn't sanitize the tent well enough in between grows? I wiped everything down with a super diluted bleach water solution. BUT, I just realized I never wiped down the fans. I bet they were covered in pollen 😬

I was checking all along because of the first run, but I never saw anything. I'm still a rookie though 😂
All good,
Clearly your genetics are fire. Great trich production. Don't think you have a big problem but always check underneath from week 3 to 5 bro, all good

i see bananas in your bud too.
Yes, one of the first things to look for and there they are. Not many but they are there and starting to bloom.

Thanks everyone. Seeds galore 😢 Looks like more hash and kief...
How many "seeds per plant" does it take to be "seeds galore"? Or how many per ounce?

Most likely the plant has been growing a few male flowers late in the flowering period as a last ditch attempt to produce a couple of seeds to allow for another generation the next growing season. My experience has been that once a plant starts that there will be a few male flowers scattered around in the smaller buds at the very bottom of the canopy. They are in those little buds people call "larf" (whatever that really is) and in small popcorn buds. Not in every one of those small buds but each one has to be checked. Good chance that they have matured, released some pollen, and have dried up on their own. Check every one, move up and keep checking and any male flowers can be pinched off.

It takes awhile before the plant is producing a few male flowers in the top buds. By that time the plant has probably started producing a few of them in the bottom of the canopy several weeks before. I have also noticed that when the plant is growing a few male flowers in the flowers on the lower branch the plant does not keep doing it. These flowers continue to move up the plant and then just start forming in the large buds at the top.

If the plant was a true hermaphrodite then I can see it producing male flowers in the small buds and also the traditional balls and bananas hanging on short stems. It is happening big time in the lower 1/3 of the plant by the time the plant has been in a flowering stage for approx 3 weeks. In that case I have removed every sign of them and sometimes that includes an entire branch. Another 3 weeks later and the bananas are back popping out of a new batch of flowers. Another session of cutting and pinching.

Once a plant gets marked as a true hermaphrodite I make a note and from that point on I will no longer take any cuttings from plants that came off of the original seed.

Back to "how many seeds to be enough to ruin the crop"?

1/2 oz of seeds per Oz of flower.
Woah, that is 50% of the harvest. Even if it is for every ounce of smoke you end up with another 1/2 ounce of seed it ain't good. Either way, that is worse than the early '70s.

It just occurred to me, but maybe do not look for seeds forming which happens after the deed it is done. Instead start looking for the bananas. Along the lines of you will not be able to see the male flowers because you feel that you are seeing seeds everywhere.

They will be green at first a bit harder to pick out but they will be there. Or look for the small ball hanging from a stem. At first that will also be green. But the lines that indicate where each banana will form should show within days.

Considering how far into flower you are it would be a shame to waste the effort.

And they are nice buds so it is worth looking for where the problem is coming from. Either a true hermaphrodite or a plant just going through the end of life cycle and producing male flowers towards the end in an attempt to have a few seeds form.

Clearly your genetics are fire. Great trich production. Don't think you have a big problem but always check underneath from week 3 to 5 bro, all good
Start at week 3 and then 5 to 7 days later looking for male flower parts. Then every 5 to 7 days after that.

don't feel bad. it's almost always genetics and not the fault of the grower.

there are a couple things you can do to reduce the likelihood.

what are you running for light ? often plants will have a disposition to hermie but won't go over the edge unless there is another environmental factor. in most home grows the common denominator is light.

long running plants can be prone when under heavy lighting. as home growers we have a tendency to light at the extreme to maximize potential. sometimes too much of a good thing doesn't work. on occasion you can do better and avoid trouble simply by turning the light back to a level appropriate for the plant.

i rarely run at 100% as i do tend to overlight normally in flower.

mono-cropping can also work to reduce losses by hermies as well.

We are on the same wavelength. I am running 4 Vivosun Aerolights. I run them at 100% about 12-18" from the canopy. I think that may be the culprit. They seem incredibly strong. I am going to try dialing it back this next round and see what happens. I'm also going with a single plant 👍🏼 Thanks for all the help!

I'm also going with a single plant

no reason to stick to just one. might as well fill the tent if you're gonna run it. it may be easier to stick to a single strain in multiple plants.

Back
Top Bottom