DocBud's Hempy Grow

Hey like that way of doing it Doc! Good idea...i do small volume most plants i have grown were under 12" so was easy in kitchen sink with strainer :) and I used it wet...soon as i was done rinsing. I like hydroton because you can reuse and will most likely just throw out perlite when i harvest plants. Next time i buy perlite i will try chunky perlite instead of fine.

Hey like that way of doing it Doc! Good idea...i do small volume most plants i have grown were under 12" so was easy in kitchen sink with strainer :) and I used it wet...soon as i was done rinsing. I like hydroton because you can reuse and will most likely just throw out perlite when i harvest plants. Next time i buy perlite i will try chunky perlite instead of fine.

I'll be doing hydroton in the near future to use in the Producer. I have a bit of buyers' remorse getting it now.....the hempy buckets a cheap and easy.....but I can do both and this cabinet is really well made.

How do you prepare hydroton?

Also, my plants are looking superb this AM...more growth and perky, healthy leaves. I may just pull this off yet.:peace:

Awesome Doc...I think you will do fine...as you said this method is easy :)
I rinse really well to take all the red powder out then soak in 5.5 water over night.

Sounds good.

I think I'm gonna grow 12-14 Purple Kush clones in the Producer. I'll probably do another thread for that grow.

Then when the Hempy's are ready to harvest, I'll grow a dozen or so in hempy's....not sure what strain.

I want to be a reasonably competent grower before I use my seeds.

My goal is to produce 3-4 lbs or ultra high quality every 2-2.5 months. I'm gonna be very methodical and scientific about things...not to mention clean and careful. I'm already all that in my profession.

Looks like your getting your ducks in a row. I guess I'll peek in now and then That's a nice goal to set, even if you don't get it the first few times, it's one hella hobby and beats the hell out of paying tho's Cali prices for meds. What's top dollar there now for meds? I had the 38th growers card issuied in Cali. And prices were off the hook back then even. Gl with your grow.

Looks like your getting your ducks in a row. I guess I'll peek in now and then That's a nice goal to set, even if you don't get it the first few times, it's one hella hobby and beats the hell out of paying tho's Cali prices for meds. What's top dollar there now for meds? I had the 38th growers card issuied in Cali. And prices were off the hook back then even. Gl with your grow.

Thanks for checking in. The ducks are indeed in a row right now...just checked the plants, they're all doing great. They're getting BIG...I may put them into flower next week.

right now, people are paying 40-75 bucks an eigth.

Thanks for checking in. The ducks are indeed in a row right now...just checked the plants, they're all doing great. They're getting BIG...I may put them into flower next week.

right now, people are paying 40-75 bucks an eigth.

Sounds like the roots hit the res, doc!

I think things can be a little sketchy with hempy buckets until that happpens, as you experienced, but growth should be off the charts now!

Can't wait to see some bud action after you 12/12!

:goodjob:

BTW, thanks for sharing your "wind sifting" method for the perlite. I think the roots get *lots* more oxygen when all the dust and small particles are sifted out.

Sounds like the roots hit the res, doc!

I think things can be a little sketchy with hempy buckets until that happpens, as you experienced, but growth should be off the charts now!

Can't wait to see some bud action after you 12/12!

:goodjob:

BTW, thanks for sharing your "wind sifting" method for the perlite. I think the roots get *lots* more oxygen when all the dust and small particles are sifted out.

Thanks for stopping by,

Yes, having the wind blow the dust away from me when I was handling that stuff was a good idea. I suppose a strong fan would suffice if the weather doesn't co-operate that day.

I'm going to install my C02 generator today! :ganjamon:

The plants are now about 10-12 inches tall....almost overnite....and there's lost of bushy growth....is it too late to LST? I'm worried about overall height.

I'm going to flip to 12/12 under MH for a week or two and I'm going to use some Bushmaster.

Then, I'll continue on under HPS after that. I still haven't given them a full dose of nutes.....but they look awesome. The new growth is just amazing.

Thanks for all your help, I've already learned some good lessons to employ next time.....which should be soon.

Thanks for stopping by,

Yes, having the wind blow the dust away from me when I was handling that stuff was a good idea. I suppose a strong fan would suffice if the weather doesn't co-operate that day.

I'm going to install my C02 generator today! :ganjamon:

The plants are now about 10-12 inches tall....almost overnite....and there's lost of bushy growth....is it too late to LST? I'm worried about overall height.

I'm going to flip to 12/12 under MH for a week or two and I'm going to use some Bushmaster.

Then, I'll continue on under HPS after that. I still haven't given them a full dose of nutes.....but they look awesome. The new growth is just amazing.

Thanks for all your help, I've already learned some good lessons to employ next time.....which should be soon.

Pics! Must have pics! lol

I LST'ed mine when they were about 24" tall and it still worked great. If you're going to use Bushmaster, however, from what I've seen, I wouldn't worry about LST or height issues. That stuff flat out works. There is another thread currently about it's safety, as it changes growth hormones, and there is some concern about whether weed grown with it is safe to use, but it's been around for a while.

Pics! Must have pics! lol

I LST'ed mine when they were about 24" tall and it still worked great. If you're going to use Bushmaster, however, from what I've seen, I wouldn't worry about LST or height issues. That stuff flat out works. There is another thread currently about it's safety, as it changes growth hormones, and there is some concern about whether weed grown with it is safe to use, but it's been around for a while.

I was not aware about a concern over its safety....I'll check that out.

I got my Co2 up and running today....but I'm not sure why. The plants are growing like friggin' weeds. ;)

PPM in the room was 600 with me in there breathing....popped up to 1100 with about 30 seconds of ignition on the generator.

Temps outside today about 100...inside just over 80, with RH about 35%.

Overall, I'd say it's ideal for a rot-free grow....and the plants are lovin' it.

It turns out that my PH was about 6.5 or so using the liquid test kit.....when I got my nice digital I learned that. So the last watering I brought it down to PH 5.8....and the run off was PH 6.6....

The plants are drinking water now....I'll be measuring how much on the next watering.

Pics tonite.

I got my Co2 up and running today....but I'm not sure why. The plants are growing like friggin' weeds. ;)

Hey bro,
looks like things are off to a banging start!

Heres a tip that might save a couple crops for some people,
ask the place that fills your Co2 tanks if they can inject some sulfur in the tank, its common practice and they should be able to.

best of luck

Hey bro,
looks like things are off to a banging start!

Heres a tip that might save a couple crops for some people,
ask the place that fills your Co2 tanks if they can inject some sulfur in the tank, its common practice and they should be able to.

best of luck

I've heard that too....but mines a CAP propane generator. The tanks were too expensive. After 3 crops it's the same price as a generator, and I've got plans to grow a fair bit of herbs once I learn a bit more.

Environment is a big part of the picture:
IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

The whole picture right now. I'll show the other half of the room once I get it up and running, but it's a BCNL Producer. (buyer's remorse)
IMG_0502.JPG

The top of Jack Herrer, fast and furious new growth.
IMG_0501.JPG

Jack Herrer...used to be one of the droopiest
IMG_0497.JPG

The whole little grow. They're in the middle of the dark cycle right now, so they're a bit limp...but they perk right up when the light comes on
IMG_0498.JPG

Blue Dream
IMG_0500.JPG

And last but not least, Crazy Flo. Every leaf is a 3 bladed leaf since she was a little clone. But she looks really healthy.
IMG_04991.JPG

The camera added a bit of yellow, but really we're just talking shades of green. There is no yellow other than some nute splash on a few lower leaves.

Updates:

My two tallest plants are now 14 inches tall. It seems they're growing an inch or more a day, on 18/6, with 1/2 strength nutes.

They're all healthy and all females...temps are under control except for an hour yesterday where things got a little hot.....about 95 degrees. I hope that doesn't give me a hermie....but the plants look great.

I'm thinking about going to 12/12 in the next day or two....any thoughts?
IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

I've totally been thinking about a hempy bucket grow. I had major problems with my last hydro attempts. The hempy buckets seem to be an easy way for me to dip my toes in the hydro arena again.
As for sending them into flower, those decisions should be driven by the size of your area and other grow environment issues. The longer you veg them, the bigger the end product will be, but you don't want such a huge plant that it outgrows your grow area.

Cheers!

I've totally been thinking about a hempy bucket grow. I had major problems with my last hydro attempts. The hempy buckets seem to be an easy way for me to dip my toes in the hydro arena again.
As for sending them into flower, those decisions should be driven by the size of your area and other grow environment issues. The longer you veg them, the bigger the end product will be, but you don't want such a huge plant that it outgrows your grow area.

Cheers!

I strongly suggest you do the Hempy! These plants are now so dang healthy, and have grown so fast i can't believe it. The method is easy and inexpensive. I'm so happy I'm using it.

As for my area, I've got a 1000watt light above those plants, and my total floor space is 4x4 right now, but it could be larger if I wanted.

I think the rule of thumb is that the plants will double in size during flower. I think that's a bit low and find that it's a bit more, but I veg inside and flower outside, so the change of light is probably causing the increases I'm experiencing.
I grow my plants in veg as long as I can and they turn into thick monsters when I drag them outside.

Cheers!

Well, I made the decision today, and went to 12/12.

I'm going to flower for the first 2 weeks under MH, then switch to HPS. (Hortilux on both)

I made this decision, even though I only vegged for 2 weeks, because:

1.)the plants are growing like crazy.
2.)Being a practice grow, i'd like to get them done before Christmas so I can get going on my "real" grow, now that I have a concept of what I'm doing.

I'm running the lights from 9 at night till 9 AM, which means that I'll not need the AC as much during the hottest part of the day.

My nutes will be:

FF trio+Cal/mag w/open sesame for 1 week.

Upon seeing pre-flowers, I'll continue with the FF trio/Calmag and add Canna boost.

I know I'm going to be cutting my overall yield by flowering when the plants are only 10-18 inches tall, but again, this grow was for education. The next one is going to be for production.

Back
Top Bottom